Menu

Please share your math sequence

We're finishing up with Singapore Math 6 soon. Wondering what your math sequence was starting in 7th-12th, especially if you used SM. Could you list the grade, subject and text, please along w/ any changes you'd make. Also especially curious if you had a mathy child.

Thanks

ds:

7th: Saxon 76

8th: Video Text, then Chalkdust Alg. 1 over summer to clean up mess..

9th: Chalkdust Geometry

10th: tried Chalkdust Alg. 2, didn't go well, so

11th: BJU Algebra 2

12th: math disaster year, part BJU Precalculus, Chalkdust Alg. 2, Teaching Textbooks Precalculus

dd:

7th grade: BJU Fundamentals

8th grade: BJU PreAlgebra

9th grade: BJU Algebra 1

10th grade: BJU Geometry

11th grade: BJU Algebra 2

12th grade: Lial's Intermediate Algebra

Both are liberal arts types. Dd's math went MUCH better.

My oldest kids are both leaning towards the liberal arts side of the spectrum, but they're interested in pretty much everthing. Of the two, I'd say ds is more "mathy".

Dd (homeschooled through 7th grade, then took off for college)

MEP and SM Years 1-6 in "grades" K-5

VideoText Algebra for grade 6

Harold Jacobs Geometry in grade 7

(It was my intention to have her take both years of VideoText, and THEN geometry, but the early college program required her to take geometry prior to enrollment.)

Ds (currently "8th grade")

Same K-5 as above

VideoText Algebra for grades 6 and 7

Harold Jacobs Geometry for this year

Plans:

Lial's or AoPS Precalculus, supplemented - grade 9

Lial's or AoPS Calculus, supplemented - grade 10

At the rate he's going, he will likely graduate after grade 10. But if not:

CC Advanced Math for grade 11

CC Probability and Statistics for grade 12

Both kids had Keys to..., Life of Fred, Family Math, HippoCampus, and similar miscellaneous supplements thrown in.

Edited by Hadassah

3rd-6th grades: singapore with drill etc

7th grade: singapore 6A-6B, did a tiny bit of singapore NEM-1 (on negative numbers), and a lot of fractions drill

8th & 10th grades: Algebra I & II with Math Relief, also on a little math team

9th grade: Geometry with Jacobs & then switched to TT

Happy with all of the above (I like Jacobs, it just wasn't the way ds thinks).

Happy with ds math scores on the Iowa Basics in 3rd-8th, PLAN (pre-ACT) in 9th, and PSAT in 10th.

Definitely a mathy kid.

Still have days when I want to pull my hair out.

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

We're finishing up with Singapore Math 6 soon. Wondering what your math sequence was starting in 7th-12th, especially if you used SM. Could you list the grade, subject and text, please along w/ any changes you'd make. Also especially curious if you had a mathy child.

Thanks

I have kids who are very good at math and don't especially like it. Neither, as of this moment, plans to go into a math-centric college major or career. Also, "grades" are tough to define here, since both worked/work ahead of their age peers. In this case, I'll define grade by the number of years before they finished high school, I guess?

Daughter:

12th - Geometry II, using Advanced Euclidean Geometry (Key Curriculum Press)

11th - Algebra II (honors), Florida Virtual School

10th - Geometry, Florida Virtual School

9th - Algebra, using a variety of workbooks and online resources

8th - Various workbooks and resources off the bookstore shelves

7th - Pretty much like 8th

Son:

11th (anticipated) - Precalculus, Florida Virtual School*

10th (anticipated) - Algebra II, Florida Virtual School

9th (current grade) - Topics in Discrete Mathematics, using AoPS Intro to Counting and Probability, plus various books and materials about cryptology, plus Real-Life Math: Statistics

8th - Liberal Arts Math, Florida Virtual School

7th -Geometry (honors), Florida Virtual School

* This kid intends to finish high school in three years. So, Precalc may be his last high school math class.

Thanks

With a very mathy child:

2007-08 NEM 1&2, Algebra parts

2008-09 Statistics (Against All Odds on Learner.org)

2009-10 NEM 1&2, Geometry parts (a little of NEM3, too)

2010-11 Art of Problem Solving Counting & Probability, and Number Theory

2011-12 Art of Problem Solving Volume 1 (Problem Solving)

2012-13 Art of Problem Solving Volume 2 (Problem Solving), and because I think we'll actually have started it this year, and because it's his last year at home, I'd like to cram in the Intermediate C&P and/or Number Theory also.

I think after all that I can probably call one of those years "Precalculus" (probably AoPS Volume 2) and he'd be fine in Calculus. This is all supplemented by some extra bits and pieces -- Zome Geometry, competition practice, some test prep, some early dabbling in Gelfand -- so he has seen everything in Algebra 2 already despite there being no year called "algebra 2". Same thing with Precalculus...

It's an odd sequence, but it has worked for us.

Older son:

5th: Algebra I with Jacobs first half

6th: Algebra I with Jacobs second half

7th: A bit of mucking about trying to find a geometry book that would work. He did Jacobs MHE while I mucked. We finally settled on TT Geometry--not my first choice. I would have used Derek Owens geometry course if I had known about it

8th: Finished geometry then did the first 5 chapters of Foerster's Algebra II using the Math Without Borders lectures

9th: Switched to Lial's Intermediate Algebra

10th: Derek Owens Precalculus (first semester), currently taking IB math for 10th graders, which is mostly review for him

11th (projected): IB math HL year 1

12th (projected): IB math HL year 2

Younger son:

3rd: SM 5A/5B/6A/Lial's BCM (heavily modified to focus on skill gaps)

4th (current): Derek Owens Prealgebra

5th (projected): Derek Owens Algebra I

6th (projected): Derek Owens Geometry

etc.

At some point I will probably have he do some AoPS books/courses to mix things up a bit.

With a very mathy child:

2012-13 Art of Problem Solving Volume 2 (Problem Solving), and because I think we'll actually have started it this year, and because it's his last year at home, I'd like to cram in the Intermediate C&P and/or Number Theory also.

Interesting to see how you divided NEM! I thought about doing that, but so far we've followed the integrated sequence. Did you run into any problems by skipping around?

DS did Miquon and Singapore through PM6. Then we moved straight into NEM. I don't have a complete plan, but I really like NEM so I have no intentions of changing right now. We supplement with contest problems.

My ds gets math easily, but doesn't necessarily like it right now.

7th - Algebra (Dolciani & LOF ) - long story, bad year, didn't finish either

8th - Algebra (MEP - portions of GCSE level, now back to Dolciani) CURRENT

Planned:

9th- Geometry (Jurgensen or Dolciani)

10th - Algebra II (Lial's as I already own this)

11th - ?

12th - ?

It depends on his interests, we may do Pre-Calc, Statistics, or Counting & Probability.

With a very mathy child:

AoPS volume 2 kept both of my kids busy for a whole year. If you don't find that you have time to cram in the C&P and Number theory courses, don't worry too much; he'll get an awful lot out of the chapters in AoPS 2 covering that material.

I think after all that I can probably call one of those years "Precalculus" (probably AoPS Volume 2) and he'd be fine in Calculus. This is all supplemented by some extra bits and pieces -- Zome Geometry, competition practice, some test prep, some early dabbling in Gelfand -- so he has seen everything in Algebra 2 already despite there being no year called "algebra 2". Same thing with Precalculus...

My son used AoPS 2 and Gelfand's Trigonometry in lieu of a formal precalculus course, along with lots of AMC and USAMTS contest math. I labelled it as 'precalculus' on the transcript (with additional course descriptions in his college app package). Not only was he well-prepared for calculus BC the following year, it was somewhat of a let-down/too simplistic after all that.

My daughter used AoPS 1 and contest math (AMC, mathcounts) in lieu of a formal algebra 2 course. I still labelled it as 'algebra 2' on her transcript, since she'd covered all of the traditional topics and then some.

Our very math-loving kids' math sequences are described in this post.

Interesting to see how you divided NEM! I thought about doing that, but so far we've followed the integrated sequence. Did you run into any problems by skipping around?

When we made the decision we had finished the algebra parts of NEM 1 and I asked DS which he'd prefer.... and he preferred finishing up Algebra 1 before moving to geometry. So we did. The gap in between to do Statistics was driven by what he needed for science (his first love). Statistics requires a few topics from Algebra 2, so in there somewhere we covered much of it, and since then probably all of it... but on an as-needed basis rather than as a course.

The irony of our resequencing NEM is that in the middle of geometry we started the application process for Canadian immigration... Canada tends to follow an integrated math sequence, so after beating NEM into a more US-like format, we were looking at moving somewhere where the original NEM sequence was more "normal" LOL On the other hand, we haven't gotten the visa yet... And what we've done since then is so far removed from "normal" that I doubt anyone will care, no matter which side of the border he graduates!

AoPS volume 2 kept both of my kids busy for a whole year. If you don't find that you have time to cram in the C&P and Number theory courses, don't worry too much; he'll get an awful lot out of the chapters in AoPS 2 covering that material.

I sat down with all the tables of contents and it looked like AoPS 2 covered quite a lot of the others... The main thing I'd like about the courses is the outside accountability and feedback, but I won't cry if we don't get it all in. :) I do think we'll have started AoPS 2 before the end of this year... but we're also moving. So the schedule might go out the window.

My son used AoPS 2 and Gelfand's Trigonometry in lieu of a formal precalculus course, along with lots of AMC and USAMTS contest math. I labelled it as 'precalculus' on the transcript (with additional course descriptions in his college app package). Not only was he well-prepared for calculus BC the following year, it was somewhat of a let-down/too simplistic after all that.

My daughter used AoPS 1 and contest math (AMC, mathcounts) in lieu of a formal algebra 2 course. I still labelled it as 'algebra 2' on her transcript, since she'd covered all of the traditional topics and then some.

I might do exactly that... call this year Algebra 2 and next year Precalculus... It depends on exactly whom I'm writing the transcript for. He'll be looking at bricks-and-mortar high schools, and if it's a "normal" school I'll go for the "normal" transcript... but if it's a really strong math school that knows what I'm talking about we'll go with Problem Solving.

Our very math-loving kids' math sequences are described in this post.

I have that very post saved to my computer. :D DS has his eye on MIT, so when you posted it, and it looked much like the stuff and pace we were already doing, I figured I needed to hang onto it.

For my two who did SM though 6 our next step is Russian Math by Perpendicular Press hands down. Although my middle dd didn't like the book, when I pulled it out this fall for ds she said, "That was the best math book I've ever done." And it was. In her case, it forced her to finally really learn the linguistic aspects of math, among other things. She didn't need pre-Algebra after doing it, and it finally helped her not only to master fractions but to remember what she'd mastered later (she'd seem to master them, nd then after a break would forget certain things to do with them and we had tried a number of things before that that are often recommended here). http://www.perpendicularpress.com .

After that, the progression of which text to use varies with my dc, bt it's:

Algebra 1

Geometry

Algebra 2

Trig/preCalc

Calculus--but my middle one, who has switched to ps, may not do Calculus as she isn't headed into Math or Science.

I have two boys: bright, the first is not a mathy child, the second is more math intuitive, but still more oriented to bio sciences so not mathy. We finished SM a year early doing Primary 6A/B when they were 11 and in fifth grade. My youngest is just now in 6th grade while my oldest is now in 9th grade. So the sequence below is what my oldest has done while it is mostly projected for my youngest. After that we've done the sequence:

6: NEM 1

7: NEM 2

8: NEM 3 A/B and Art of Problem Solving's first competition book

9: NEM 4 A and Discovering Mathematics Additional Maths

Some comments: for some reason we finished year 3 in mid March and I added the AoPS book which we finished in the next 2 months. I cut NEM 4 B because it is all prep and review for O level tests. It appears that we will finish the Additional Maths this year by the end of the year and possibly early enough to consider the other AoPS competition book.

My oldest has pretty much self taught since mid 8th grade. That was when my own memory of math slowly faded out and I was serving as the chair of a nonprofit and I just didn't have the energy to stay with him. We'll see what happens with number two son.

Personally, I would say anyone up for a challenge should consider the DM series rather than the NEM series. It still has challenging materials, but has much greater support.

What do I do next year? I'm not totally sure. Since we are ahead of the curve this year, I'm considering an online pre-calculus class and then either an online calculus class the following year or convincing a local LAC (we have five colleges in our city and two more in a city also in our county) to allow him to take their calculus series.

We also did Singapore Primary up through 6B. After that our sequence was:

For both ds and dd:

7th: Videotext Algebra A-C, and NEM1 (supplement)

8th: Videotext Algebra D-F, and NEM2

9th: Videotext Geometry A-C, and NEM3

Then for ds (very mathy and now a college sophomore in Comp Sci):

10th: Videotext Geometry D & half of NEM4, followed by EPGY Precalculus

11th: EPGY AP Calculus A, B and C

12th: EPGY Multivariable Differential Calculus

For dd (mathy, but less enamored with it; more into life sciences):

10th: Videotext Geometry D and Thinkwell Precalculus

11th: Thinkwell AP Calculus AB (currently)

12th: AP Statistics through PA Homeschoolers (planned for next yr)