Menu

Thank you Focus on the family for sharing John 3:16

An honest question about the commercial: What's the point? Is it going to convert someone? Will it soften a heart, speak to someone in a new way? Give encouragement (by watching a bunch of kids recite?)? :confused:

It seems like it's a feel good moment for Christians, but why would anyone else care? I saw it; I don't get it. I'm a Christian. If I weren't, I'd be really put off by it.

Maybe all the Tebow hoopla (and I like Tim!) will have the sports media focus on this "mysterious" religion?

An honest question about the commercial: What's the point? Is it going to convert someone? Will it soften a heart, speak to someone in a new way? Give encouragement (by watching a bunch of kids recite?)? :confused:

It seems like it's a feel good moment for Christians, but why would anyone else care? I saw it; I don't get it. I'm a Christian. If I weren't, I'd be really put off by it.

Maybe all the Tebow hoopla (and I like Tim!) will have the sports media focus on this "mysterious" religion?

The Word of God is powerful all by itself. It may make someone think and look farther. It may make someone just say "Meh" and shrug their shoulders. It all depends on people's receptivity. I don't think the ad itself is meant to do anything more than to expose people to the words and let them decide what, if anything, they want to do with that exposure.

The Word of God is powerful all by itself. It may make someone think and look farther. It may make someone just say "Meh" and shrug their shoulders. It all depends on people's receptivity. I don't think the ad itself is meant to do anything more than to expose people to the words and let them decide what, if anything, they want to do with that exposure.
:iagree:
speak to someone in a new way?
There are also people out there that don't realize what John 3:16 says, because in their Bible, it doesn't say that. Imagine the day I found out what this scripture really says. (((((Julie))))) Edited by Lovedtodeath

Mark 16:15 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

I think it was a "striking while the iron's hot" moment after last week.

:iagree: I think we take for granted that you either are a believer or you have decided not to be and are offended by any reference to God or th Bible. I was in my twenties before I ever heard John 3:16 so sometimes the point is just for people to hear the Scripture. Along those lines...I read three or four secular news articles this week that quoted John 3:16 in it's entirety and one that quoted a long list of other Scripture tied in to stats from last weeks' game. Things like their were 6 plays for 10 yards...Luke 6:10 says.... I don't remember where the article was or the specific verses and the point seemed to be making fun of people talking about the 316 yards and John 3:16. It is rare to read secular articles with extensive Bible quotes so while the intention might have been humor I found it encouraging think that people reading the article would be exposed to Scripturenpossibly for the first time.

Those kids sure were adorable in the commercial.

:iagree::iagree: The Word of God IS powerful. I was saved by a single verse from the Bible (Matthew 11:28). I was in a difficult place in my life with no hope and those words spoke life to me. I still get choked up when I hear them and I've been a Christian for 22 years now.

You never know where a person is at in there life or what they are going through. Hearing the Word just might save someone's life. I know it saved mine. I think that is the heart behind the commercial. IMO anyway. :)

:iagree::iagree: The Word of God IS powerful. I was saved by a single verse from the Bible (Matthew 11:28). I was in a difficult place in my life with no hope and those words spoke life to me. I still get choked up when I hear them and I've been a Christian for 22 years now.

You never know where a person is at in there life or what they are going through. Hearing the Word just might save someone's life. I know it saved mine. I think that is the heart behind the commercial. IMO anyway. :)

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest...."

Ah. I had to look that one up. He is so able...

:grouphug: Wonderful. Thank you for sharing your testimony.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest...."

Ah. I had to look that one up. He is so able...

That's the one. He certainly is. :)

:grouphug: Wonderful. Thank you for sharing your testimony.

:) You're very welcome.

:iagree: I think we take for granted that you either are a believer or you have decided not to be and are offended by any reference to God or th Bible.

Yes, I do take this for granted. I appreciate that this is one place where people say it's not true *and* share how something small changed everything for you.

Thank you all for your kind words. I hate to be a thread stealer, so I'll stop now. :001_smile:

I'm not a christian, and I despise Focus on the Family. Still, I was not put off by the commercial. It was well done, and the kids are cute- good little budding actors.

I did think the SNL Tebow skit was hilarious though. If you think Tebow's over the top, you might appreciate this.

It just might to all of the above:001_smile:. We never know how God will use what we put out there. I just shared the gospel with my grandpa (who is sickly and not getting much better). My mom kept telling me that he won't listen to me. She said that he'd tell me it doesn't make sense. You know what? He listened willingly, with a softness in his face (that's not always there) and he didn't tell me to "get the h*ll out!" like my mom was sure he would. I planted a seed...

I wasn't offended by it, just kinda resigned to the idea that Christianity will invade everything, even football, and honestly (no offense intended, but it's my honest opinion), if a god were so invested in football that he would let one team win because someone on that team prayed about it, then that god is neglecting the really important things.

Why can't I even watch the playoffs without someone trying to convert me?

Tara

I wasn't offended by it, just kinda resigned to the idea that Christianity will invade everything, even football, and honestly (no offense intended, but it's my honest opinion), if a god were so invested in football that he would let one team win because someone on that team prayed about it, then that god is neglecting the really important things.

Tara

:grouphug: Anti-Christian values, sentiments, etc. have invaded everything as well. We use videos only, and very little/no TV as a result. We all have different beliefs and values than the rest of the world at large.

Anti-Christian values, sentiments, etc. have invaded everything as well.

And that's why religion really should stay out of the public sphere. *sigh* I see it as my job to teach and uphold my religious values with my kids. It is not society's job to reinforce them. We are of a minority religion. There's no way I can expect the culture at large to reinforce our religious ideas.

We all have different beliefs and values than the rest of the world at large.

And how!

Tara

I don't like Focus on the Family because it's harmful to gays and promotes pseudoscience. Children are cute, but I get annoyed when religious fundamentalism winds up on mainstream TV outside of a news piece, and the kids don't save it. Some of the Nazi children in WW II newsreels are aaaaawful cute. (Godwin's law lives!)

I can see people being confused. However, I absolutely don't see God invested one whit in football. It's not about getting what you pray for, and I'm betting (okay, lol) Tebow certainly doesn't pray to win. That's not following God's heart.

If it were me, I'd be praying God's will, that I bring glory to Him, that He use me to be an encouragement to my teammates, and that I bring my best to the field. That's pretty similar to my prayer in many situations. The final score of the game is insignificant, and yes, I'd say that whether Tebow won or lost last night. :001_smile:

LOL about the John 3:16 verse last night being tied into last week's game. I'd already forgotten about that!

I am pleasantly surprised that the media has seemed to make this into a mostly positive thing though. I'd have expected much less.

For the record, I'm enthusiastic about any homeschooler that does well; Tebow just happens to be more widely known. If he were not Christian, I'd still be glad that he's a successful hser, but I wouldn't be as vocal about him or follow him as closely.

I don't like Focus on the Family because it's harmful to gays and promotes pseudoscience. Children are cute, but I get annoyed when religious fundamentalism winds up on mainstream TV outside of a news piece, and the kids don't save it. Some of the Nazi children in WW II newsreels are aaaaawful cute. (Godwin's law lives!)

Can not disagree more...for the past twenty years I have had to tolerate all levels of degrading moral behavior in advertising: men slobbering over the hot young thing, Prepubescent girls wearing provocative and suggestive clothing, sexual innuendoes over the most harmless items, casual sex suggestions are rampant...finally, a point of view that does not promote profanity and vulgarity and people complain. To compare a vicious and muderous ideology of Nazism to a group of children expressing their religious faith is beyond irresponsible.

I am outraged that in a world of free speech, the rare time it is presented during network airtime that others cry offense...there is no separation of tv sponsors and religion...Praise God for those at FotF for being bold in a world that would have their voices muted. For some, their 'religion' is all about debauchery and sexual suggestion, I think we have had plenty of that for our kids to see...

Tara

I'm not necessarily saying God let the Broncos beat the Steelers last week because someone prayed but Tim Tebow's Broncos beating the Steelers caused John 3:16 to be the top thing trending on Google for awhile. As a Christian, I find that to be a good thing and I have to wonder how or maybe more importantly why did the Broncos pull off that spectacular win.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-01-09/sports/30606383_1_tim-tebow-tebowmania-google

for the past twenty years I have had to tolerate all levels of degrading moral behavior in advertising: men slobbering over the hot young thing, Prepubescent girls wearing provocative and suggestive clothing, sexual innuendoes over the most harmless items, casual sex suggestions are rampant...finally, a point of view that does not promote profanity and vulgarity and people complain.

Christians are not the only ones who object to these things. It would be nice to see an inclusive, not a religious, message that these things are undesirable.

Tara

Christians are not the only ones who object to these things. It would be nice to see an inclusive, not a religious, message that these things are undesirable.

Tara

Interesting that you say that. I had someone over yesterday and she said that she kept her formal religion's morals. I said "What do you mean?" She said, "Well, you know, I haven't been promiscuous." So I went on to say that I am not sure how to handle dating with my kids now, since I don't have those rules to go by... she said to ask her step-mom how to handle it. Her step-mom who has good morals without that religion's influence. Ta dah!

Tara

What was presented was not a religious message calling anything in particular undesirable. All that was presented was a famous verse from the Bible. Yes, it is a verse that has converted some people - but only those who responded to it and wanted to be converted (ie. said "yes" to believing it).

My reaction was a great big eye roll and a sigh. Just when I was trying to convince people Tebs isn't a whack job and they had to go and throw this in the middle of a football game. :blink::ack2::rolleyes:

Same reaction I get at 50% of the commercials out there...In this case however, Tebow has nothing to do with it, fellow citizens supporting the right to inform and express the same thing Tebow holds dear...the whack jobs as you put it are those that do not protest the decency limits more and more advertising agencies out there choose to cross.

I'm not a christian, and I despise Focus on the Family. Still, I was not put off by the commercial. It was well done, and the kids are cute- good little budding actors.

I did think the SNL Tebow skit was hilarious though. If you think Tebow's over the top, you might appreciate this.

Thanks for posting the hilarious video. Since I have no interest in sports and do not watch regular tv, I did not know who Tebow was until he was discussed here. Jesus's sandals and athletic socks were a funny combo. Oh, I loved the parting bit where he stated that everything in Mormonism was true. :)

Same reaction I get at 50% of the commercials out there...In this case however, Tebow has nothing to do with it, fellow citizens supporting the right to inform and express the same thing Tebow holds dear...the whack jobs as you put it are those that do not protest the decency limits more and more advertising agencies out there choose to cross.

So anyone who doesn't think that all TV programming needs to be rated G is a whack job?

So anyone who doesn't think that all TV programming needs to be rated G is a whack job?

I think that when it is a time of day, or program, that my kids would be watching - yes, it should be G rated. (meaning advertisements)

I don't think people are whack jobs if they disagree. But I do wonder why they can't save advertisements like that for the multitude of shows and times when children aren't watching. :)

Thought this was funny. :)

Tara

LOL That is funny!

I don't think Tim is wrong though.

And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not? ... And if everything you have is from God, why boast as though it were not a gift? .... Why dost thou boast as if it were the result of your own toil, skill or endeavor.

Colossians 3:23Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, 24since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

Isaiah 10:15 Shall the axe boast over him who hews with it, or the saw magnify itself against him who wields it? As if a rod should wield him who lifts it, or as if a staff should lift him who is not wood!

I think that when it is a time of day, or program, that my kids would be watching - yes, it should be G rated. (meaning advertisements)

I don't think people are whack jobs if they disagree. But I do wonder why they can't save advertisements like that for the multitude of shows and times when children aren't watching. :)

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I don't appreciate having to explain what erectile dysfunction is to a little kid and I don't even have cable! :confused:

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I don't appreciate having to explain what erectile dysfunction is to a little kid and I don't even have cable! :confused:

I know, I don't either! :) We watch very little on tv as it is, there isn't really much worth watching. But when we do, there are still ads that I'm like...really...? :001_huh: