Menu

Would like your input (tip content)

Today I ate lunch with dd and some of her friends at the establishment where they enjoyed an activity. When the bill arrived, directly below the amount was the expected tip amount, listed in 10%, 15% and 20% increments, calculated specifically to our bill amount.

I felt this was...insulting.

Personally, I always just double the front number, or numbers (accordingly) for a (roughly) 20% tip - it's just easy math for me and I don't have to think about it, just being thankful that someone else did the cooking and delivering of my meal. And I understand there are those who find $10 for a burger and fries to be more than enough, and don't tip at all, so I *almost* get it.

But, if an establishment feels that they need to include the tip amounts on the bill, why don't they just pay their hardworking waitresses enough (ie, include the amount in the food price itself and pay it out accordingly) to avoid such...dare I say, tacky...wording on the very same bills those waitresses need to deliver to the customers?

Disclaimer - I have never been a waitress. I have never owned a restaurant and needed to pay waitresses' wages.

Is it a tax thing? Is it a way to keep employees?

What are your thoughts on this?

I've seen that at some restaurant before. I just considered it a "here we've done the math for you" thing.

That doesn't bother me nearly as much as the "18% gratuity will automatically be added to your bill for parties over 6" or whatever. Thing 1's hockey team went out for lunch one day between games - we all showed up at the same time and were sat all over the place (but largely had to to ourselves, as not too many people were at this pizza place at 230 in the afternoon). Despite having 12 separate checks, we all had gratuity added, and not all of the families noticed, so some added more tip besides. I happened to notice that the bill seemed high and read it carefully and then let everyone know.

I don't think it was done to "bill" you esp. since they included different percentages so I wouldn't get irritated at that. I would be more irritated that they expect you to need the help in math!

You know, I think maybe that's where my big offense came from! :lol: I've been toiling about it since this afternoon, trying to figure out what bothered me about it, and feeling very strongly about it, but not quite being able to put my finger on it.

Maybe that's exactly what it is (I have been less than tolerant lately - odd moods). Hmmm....

I've never seen that on a receipt. It seems rather odd to me.

That doesn't bother me nearly as much as the "18% gratuity will automatically be added to your bill for parties over 6" or whatever. Thing 1's hockey team went out for lunch one day between games - we all showed up at the same time and were sat all over the place (but largely had to to ourselves, as not too many people were at this pizza place at 230 in the afternoon). Despite having 12 separate checks, we all had gratuity added, and not all of the families noticed, so some added more tip besides. I happened to notice that the bill seemed high and read it carefully and then let everyone know.

Restaurants do this to avoid a waiter working extremely hard taking care of a large party...and then not getting tipped, or getting tipped a very small amount. It seems rather odd to me in your situation, however, since you weren't all seated together.

My husband is a waiter at a restaurant that says on their menu that they will add a gratuity for large parties. However, I don't think they ever actually add a gratuity. Dh says he prefers not to have the gratuity added, because sometimes people tip more - but I know he's also experienced large parties not tipping, which is beyond frustrating for him.

I would guess they do it because many people cannot calculate percentages in their head or do not have a method for figuring out the tip. We double the tax and round to the next dollar amount, so our tips are around 17%. We leave more for really good service, but that method makes it easy for us. I have not seen that kind of thing on tickets around here, but the 18% gratuity for large parties annoys me. We generally leave 20%-25% if we go out with others, but if 18% is on the bill, then that is all they get. I do not take kindly to being told what to do lol.

I think it's a really helpful addition for people who can't figure out a tip to save their lives. It doesn't bother me to see it.

Unless the bill is small, or the service stellar, I calculate 15%--I use 10% of the pre-tax total, and had half of that to it. Then I round up from there. (I'm only mentioning this because tips have been the subject of several threads recently.)