Menu

2nd grade schedule?

Can you help me figure out if I will be expecting to much of my son next year? How to make things more at 'his level' vs what the other 2 will be doing? The stuff in red is what he will be doing with his 1st grade brother and 5th grade sister (5th grader will be doing more work ofcourse ;)) The stuff in green he will be doing with his 1st grade brother.

Ds will be 8 in Oct (beginning of 2nd) and has HFA, severe visual/spatial delays, tourettes, low tone (makes writing hard- he is VERY delayed in writing but that will come, I am not worried about it) SPD/SID, he is going through vision therapy for a ton of eye issues (his eyes are developed to that of a new 4 year old according to the vision therapist) and there are other issues, but that kinda gives you an idea of what is going on.

Bible- Greenleaf Guide to the Old testament-- We are going to line this up with MOH

Math- Horizons w/ MUS blocks-- Probably still 1st grade book 2 unless he makes huge math strides this year and over the summer but I am not going to push him.

Phonics- continuing with Phonics Pathways, Reading Pathways and ETC plus readers (he is still struggling with Abeka K5 readers so that is behind)

Science- Christian Kids Explore Biology-- I will be adding in books that I will read to them and probably some videos as well.

History- MOH 1 (ds's audio cd's, dd will read the lesson from book then listen with the boys) I am also going to read SOTW to ds's when dd is reading from MOH. We are also going to use Diana Warings CD's that go with Ancients. I am going to get a good plan to line these all up this summer.

Handwriting- A reason for handwriting A (he is still in the K book) and slowly doing copy work from a dry erase board I have that looks like handwriting paper. I take a line (hopefully 2 by 2nd grade) from what he is reading in phonics and have him write it.

Spelling- All About Spelling. We started this year with AAS1. I am not sure if we will continue til next year. We took a break for now. So it will more than likely be AAS 1.

I am not planning on starting grammar with him. We will informally work on it with his copywork but that is all for now. He also sees an OT and his VT. Any thoughts?

I really believe that only you will know if it is too much for him. I think your plans look fine but just take it day by day. If you need to slow down or discontinue a subject then do so. Also, on days we have therapy I will drop a few subjects and count her therapy as part of school.

Edited by ugamom11

I really believe that only you will know if it is too much for him. Dd was diagnosed with ADHD in May but in August I decided to have her see a neuropsych because I suspected Aspergers. She tested low working memory along with sensory issues and Aspergers. We have been in OT, Speech, and VT--I feel your pain. I am working with dd as I would a normal student. If I see I need to back off and slow down, I do. Last school year was a complete waste and I have her working on a 2nd grade level again this year. With the ADHD meds it is much better. I think your plans look fine but just take it day by day. If you need to slow down or discontinue a subject then do so.:)

One more thing, on days we have therapy I will drop a few subjects and count her therapy as part of school.

I am just so worried about over doing it (or under doing it-- I don't think that is an issue though) Its so hard to find that perfect balance :confused:

Vision issue can also create writing issues so hopefully the therapy will help that too. We had lots of magnet words for DD to mess with since her writing was so delayed. I think it really helped in the long run both with reading and writing. I'm wondering what his visual/spatial skills will look like after vision therapy. Your son sounds like one of my high school classmates, just so you know he doing great now.

I still deal with my LD but I think the amount and what your doing looks good. Change can be a good thing if your having issues hitting walls. Play dough or clay can help, I think the applications are endless. Just make sure you take time to play and have fun.