Menu

s/o hospital won't provide transplant for mentally retarded child, want to help?

You can sign this petition on change.org

http://www.change.org/petitions/childrens-hospital-of-philadelphia-allow-the-kidney-transplant-amelia-needs-to-survive

I didn't want it to get lost in the other thread.

(I know a lot of people are skeptical of online petitions but if you've never heard of change.org it's actually a really cool one that has had an impact on things like getting Bank of America to revoke it's debit card fee, Verizon to revoke it's online bill pay fee and more, and it can't hurt, right)?

I just read the story written by this sweet girl's mom...how utterly sickening that she would be denied a transplant simply because she is mentally impaired...Shame on CHOP, an institution dedicated to the care and treatment of children....thanks for sharing this so that we can sign this petition.

I just read the story written by this sweet girl's mom...how utterly sickening that she would be denied a transplant simply because she is mentally impaired...Shame on CHOP, an institution dedicated to the care and treatment of children....thanks for sharing this so that we can sign this petition.

I know! It's heartbreaking, and really scary to think that they would just turn somebody down like that, especially when they plan to use a donor within their own family. I mean, that could be any of us. I HAVE a daughter with mental retardation. That's just insane to me. She's 20 years old now. I can't imagine if somebody had just told me she hadn't deserved to live when she was just a little girl.

I hope a bunch of you sign the petition. They're very ambitious with their 100,000 signature goal. But every now and then I'm refreshing it to see how they're doing, and every time I do, they've got more signatures than they did the last time I looked. 6,630 as of now! I know the hive could put a bunch up if they had a mind to. :D

I agree with a PP. If it is solely because of the mental impairment, it is sickening; but I have the feeling it has more to do with the risk of secondary issues because of her specific disorder.

I will sign as soon as I can find all the details, if it is indeed true that it's only because of the girl's mental impairment.