Menu

Phonics advice

Dustybug

My DD will be 6 in a few weeks. We completed about 3/4 of Abeka's K5 phonics, and then switched to The Reading Lesson because Abeka was simply too much for us, even though it was working. We just finished TRL yesterday, but I wasn't really impressed with it. My DD can read on a 2nd grade level, but she still needs some work on phonics. She doesn't like to sound out words that she doesn't know, although mostly she can if I insist. If you read a word once or twice to her, she just memorizes it (which I suspect is why she can read at the second grade level). I want to do something that will sort of make her learn the phonics so that she can move past this level. TRL just didn't do that. I felt it was too simple, had grammatical errors in the book, and introduced some things in a random order that didn't work for while not introducing other things that later appeared in the book. (Did that even make sense?)

I have Abeka phonics for 1st and 2nd grade, but am hesitant to go back to them. Is there anything else that I could use that would help teach her the phonetic skills she needs to move on? She loves to read and I don't want her to get "stuck."

I've looked at ETC and I've recently started looking at AAS. Would either of those fill in the gaps? Any other suggestions?

BTW, we are using HOD, and she is only in Unit 10 of LHFHG. I plan to start the Emerging Readers with her this coming week, but I'm not sure if that helps with the phonics gaps??? Can someone using HOD help me out there?

AAS worked beautifully for getting my son capable of sounding out new words, but I wouldn't worry if she's not using phonics to read words she already knows. That's normal. My son still reads mostly by sight, but he has the tools to sound words out. That got him past the 4th grade multisyllable words.

You could try Phonics Pathways. It teaches in a way similar to Abeka but without the bells and whistles. You just do about a page a day until you are through it. It teaches the breaking apart of bigger multisyllable words, and you can easily use the Emerging Readers along side it. PP is very thorough and will fill in gaps you may have with TRL.