Menu

which LOF book for each kid??

I have 3 children. My oldest (age 11) is at lesson 19 of Delta in MUS. She is not a real mathy person and could use any and all review of math. She loves to read. My middle kid (age almost 10) is also in Delta---lesson 14. He is good at math but hates to write out math. He says he doesn't like it...but it's the writing he doesn't like. My youngest (age 7) is in Beta---lesson 16. He is pretty good at math, doesn't mind the writing. He also likes to read. MUS is working for us...but the kids sort of find it boring. So I thought I would just add LOF to add something different. I have math hopped a lot and so I don't plan to ditch what is working...but I thought my kids might enjoy reading LOF and actually learn or relearn something in the process. But I wasn't sure where I should start each kid...or if I should just start each kid at the beginning just so they could get the flow of Fred's life from the beginning. What do you guys say I should do?????

The author suggests that for the elementary series, you start from the beginning. I also use MUS and I've planned a line-up of concepts by year as follows:

Alpha - LOF A-C

Beta - LOF D-F

Gamma - LOF G-H

Delta - LOF I-J (out next month)

Epsilon - LOF Fractions

Zeta - LOF Decimals and Percents

and so on.

We are delta lesson 25. We started LOF a month or so ago. Dd probably could have started with the fractions book but because she likes to read I started her from the beginning of the elementary series. She loves the books so I'm glad I did. If I hadn't slowed her down she probably would have read the first 4 the first day we had them. She re-reads them because she enjoys the story so much. So far the math in them has been easy but there are some tougher concepts and ideas thrown in there so I don't feel like it's a waste of time. She is good at math but hates it so this has been a bright spot for us. She actually wants to do it. I would say if money isn't a big issue just start at the beginning.

We are delta lesson 25. We started LOF a month or so ago. Dd probably could have started with the fractions book but because she likes to read I started her from the beginning of the elementary series. She loves the books so I'm glad I did. If I hadn't slowed her down she probably would have read the first 4 the first day we had them. She re-reads them because she enjoys the story so much. So far the math in them has been easy but there are some tougher concepts and ideas thrown in there so I don't feel like it's a waste of time. She is good at math but hates it so this has been a bright spot for us. She actually wants to do it. I would say if money isn't a big issue just start at the beginning.

thank you for this. Money is sort of an issue...but we have 3 kids who would probably read all of the books I would buy and I don't usually like putting a price on my kid's education especially on something as important as math. I can totally see my daughter doing exactly what yours is doing...how old is your daughter?

acurtis75, I have another question for you. Are you having your daughter do the work in the earlier/easybooks...or just read them. Also, do you have any other children (specifically younger)...if so, are you having them read the books right behind your daughter...or are you waiting for some reason?? Just trying to decide what to do with my younger two kids.