Menu

What years are hardest for you?

This is our second year homeschooling and it's been a rough year. I'm dealing with a lot of goofing off, lots of attitude and lots of bickering and fighting. I researched and prepared and organized and planned for this year. I spent all summer on it and it's all kind of falling apart on me. (Don't read my sig... it makes me sad.) :p

So is there some kind of second year slump I don't know about or were there other years that were your hard years? Tell me I can pull this year together and make next year better. Right?

In everything, there are five stages. Romance, disillusionment, misery, awakening, and true love. No matter how much you love it, it's never what you expect when the shine wears off the penny. :001_smile:

Deal with the root of the bickering first, get respect for each other back into their day to day dealings with each other, and then, deal with what's not working for you by figuring out why it's not working. You may have to change things up, you may be able to keep it and modify if you're comforttable with doing so.

But yes, there's ALWAYS a slump. There's even a yearly slump (March is mine). But there's always a First Time Homeschooling slump, too. :grouphug:

We started homeschooling in Dec. 08. The first two years went well. This year has been incredibly difficult. Nothing seemed to work. I just ordered a Sonlight core because everything was just failing. So for me, year 3 has been the hardest. I think the first year we were just so enthusiastic anything would have worked. The second year I felt like a pro and plowed through the year. This year I have finally realized that I am completely clueless, unorganized, and cannot plan worth a flip. Every year is different. I learn something new about myself and my kids every year. Each year has it's challenges. We just keep going because we believe in the process. We believe this is a marathon, not a sprint.

There is the schooling and there is the attitude. You have to get the attitude under control to do the schooling. You would probably be having the same attitude problem if they were in school. These stages are hard. :grouphug: Hang in there, deal with your darlings and keep at it. Midwinter is always a bit of challenge here. Maybe stop and do a unit study for a week or a couple of museum trips and be sure they are polite to the whole family. Then start back in again.

In everything, there are five stages. Romance, disillusionment, misery, awakening, and true love. No matter how much you love it, it's never what you expect when the shine wears off the penny. :001_smile:

Deal with the root of the bickering first, get respect for each other back into their day to day dealings with each other, and then, deal with what's not working for you by figuring out why it's not working. You may have to change things up, you may be able to keep it and modify if you're comforttable with doing so.

But yes, there's ALWAYS a slump. There's even a yearly slump (March is mine). But there's always a First Time Homeschooling slump, too. :grouphug:

Just breezing through, catching up on posts and what not, when I caught this.

What a very nice, insightful, and thoughtful thing to say. :)

Really? I haven't hit it yet. However, I am a non-slumpy person. Last slump I had was 1994, and I was working close to 100 hours a week.

:001_huh: I really don't want a slump ....

Oh, cool, I think I'm deep in the misery phase. If I can just make it through, good things on the other side. :)

I am trying to deal with the root of all our problems. I've set aside our normal schedule and we're trying to focus on building a better relationship, enjoying each other's company, etc. It's the hardest thing in the world for me to not stress about what we're actually getting done. I am stressed about it. But I'm also finally convinced we won't be able to fix anything with school if we don't deal with the underlying causes of our issues. So we're not really going to have much of a summer break by the time we get back on track and get through our school year.

I'm trying to put together a unit study for us to do for fun over the next week or two.

Oh, cool, I think I'm deep in the misery phase. If I can just make it through, good things on the other side. :)

I am trying to deal with the root of all our problems. I've set aside our normal schedule and we're trying to focus on building a better relationship, enjoying each other's company, etc. It's the hardest thing in the world for me to not stress about what we're actually getting done. I am stressed about it. But I'm also finally convinced we won't be able to fix anything with school if we don't deal with the underlying causes of our issues. So we're not really going to have much of a summer break by the time we get back on track and get through our school year.

I'm trying to put together a unit study for us to do for fun over the next week or two.

I find a little schooling in the summer, on days nothing else is planned, is enough to finish the math book. They are young and skipping a few things won't be the end of their education. :grouphug:

This is our second year homeschooling and it's been a rough year. I'm dealing with a lot of goofing off, lots of attitude and lots of bickering and fighting. I researched and prepared and organized and planned for this year. I spent all summer on it and it's all kind of falling apart on me. (Don't read my sig... it makes me sad.) :p

So is there some kind of second year slump I don't know about or were there other years that were your hard years? Tell me I can pull this year together and make next year better. Right?

Can this be put into a poll? In which grades were the child's attitude hardest to homeschool? Or something like that?

4th, 5th and 6th have been the hardest for me. The amount of writing expected and the increasing work load I've often thought are the reason for this attitude of "I don't want to!"

The bickering....... I always "punish" both parties involved. IMO it takes two to fight. And indeed when I get both parties to talk to each other about what's bothering there usually something they both need to apologize about. This approach has helped to slow down the bickering, and "Mom, he said!"

The Punishment is making them stop what they're doing and come talk through the situation. I guess it's more a consequence.

Really? I haven't hit it yet. However, I am a non-slumpy person. Last slump I had was 1994, and I was working close to 100 hours a week.

:001_huh: I really don't want a slump ....

You totally don't have to slump. :D Slumping for you is optional.

We work all year long, and it works for us because I'm never worried about 'falling behind'. There's enough time. Even in the summer, they get bored, and so banging out a math lesson and reading chapters before noon is no big deal. You'd be really surprised at how much you get done on a summer morning between nine and noon. And that leaves plenty of time int he day for play--or to take off... And, if you did that, you would take the pressure off yourself.

Posted a poll.

Thank you for the reassurance that even if we're getting behind, we can still make it up over the summer. I hate feeling behind and I've been trying hard not to panic. :p

Because I have two kids and because they are so close in age, both kids usually get in trouble when they fight unless it's a very clear case of one child being very unreasonable to the other. That's usually not the case though.

I am also on Yr 2 of HSing and my DD is KILLING me with the attitude. Last year when she was unhappy I could usually determine that there was some curriculum bugging her, like math was too hard or the writing too rigorous. This year I can't figure out what the heck is wrong. Academically she can do the work and there is no reason for her behavior. She simply doesn't like ME being in charge. I am pondering putting her back in PS next year, but my heart is not in it. I believe HS is the right thing to do.

This post has made me feel better - to know that some others have felt like one year was a bit of a slump compared to others. Maybe I can make it through!