Menu

"Please accept my apology for the incontinence."

I recall when I started working an office near my "big boss," and he called out to me, "how do you spell 'pencil'?" I laughed, because I was sure that was a joke. He responded, "I wasn't joking." Then I shared with him about my dad, who is severely dyslexic. (Or as my boss would say, "di'lexic.") After that, he felt free to ask me for help all the time, and I was glad to give it. After several years, he finally mastered the spelling of one of his favorite words: senerario - I mean scenario. He was a really smart person but often had a chip on his shoulder - I wonder why.

I remember helping Dad to get through college English - what an adventure that was! He still struggles every day. Yet he tested with a high IQ as a teen (despite a barely 2nd grade reading level), thanks to the fact that his science abilities were way beyond college.

I also have a sister (an engineer) who was a poor speller (not sure if she still is). She would avoid the issue by choosing an easier word. Once we were filling out our junior high emergency contact forms. My sister spelled neighbor incorrectly. I asked her why she didn't just put "friend." She said that she wasn't sure how to spell that, either, and felt that she would look less stupid for misspelling "neighbor" versus "friend."

Yes, you can be smart and a poor speller. But, you can even be a good speller and still misspell basic words when your mind is on something else. I quit rolling my eyes at others' spelling/grammar errors when I caught myself committing a couple of really obvious ones for all to see. And I'm really good at English and spelling, according to test scores.

Sigh. Two of my four kids have dyslexia. One is severe; the other was mild-to-moderate. You have no clue how much extra work they have to do to get decent results. I worry that the one with the most severe disabilities will be able to get a job because everything takes him so much longer, it's just unbelievable. I admire his courage in keeping to it, despite having 1/5 of the results for the same amount of time as his brother. Your post is really discouraging to me because not only will my son have to cope with his disability, but with people who assume it's sheer laziness that he can't produce like they can.

This. Every word of it.

My son has dyslexia and is also extremely intelligent. He belongs at a top science/engineering school for college. He will likely not have that chance because even with accommodations, he can't finish the SAT/ACT.

Sigh. Two of my four kids have dyslexia. One is severe; the other was mild-to-moderate. You have no clue how much extra work they have to do to get decent results. I worry that the one with the most severe disabilities will be able to get a job because everything takes him so much longer, it's just unbelievable. I admire his courage in keeping to it, despite having 1/5 of the results for the same amount of time as his brother. Your post is really discouraging to me because not only will my son have to cope with his disability, but with people who assume it's sheer laziness that he can't produce like they can.

My kids are in the same KG class. The eldest has to work for hours every week to learn her 10 sight words. The youngest (who just transferred into KG) already knew those sight words many months ago. It seems unfair that they both get the same reward for getting 100% on the weekly sight word test.

I just hope it gets easier rather than harder for DD1 to keep up with her class.

I would love to chat about this, but I have to put the possum on the stove and marry my cousin and brew some moonshine and hoist my

Confederate flag and polish my Richard Petty bust. With all that going on, it is no wonder I can't spell.

Terri

I have some fresh swamp gator and water moccasin that we just wrastled last night. If you want I can be over in two shakes of a dog's tail! :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

I live in Arkansas and was flipping through the TV channels the other day and landed on a PBS show titled Arkansas ? ( Can't remember the second part of the name). Anyways, the lady was cooking squirrel tamales. I about died laughing.

I shouldn't admit it here, but if dh will shoot and skin the squirrel, I'll cook (and eat) it. All of our kids like squirrel, too.

:iagree:

There are many times that I've ventured into a thread and just turned around and left. One has to do that periodically. If my spelling was poor due to dyslexia or really any reason, I personally would police myself and not enter threads on such topics. If I did enter, by mistake, I would leave. One has to do that. It isn't the responsibility of others to walk on egg shells because I might be offended by something that doesn't necessarily offend many.

I'm sympathetic to anyone who gets hurt or offended on any subject. I wish it wouldn't be the case, ever, but that isn't realistic. People have different opinions. It is up to every individual to take some responsibility for themselves and simply choose not to participate.

My 26 year old son is severely dyslexic. I just mentioned this to him, and he said it is understandable for people to be sensitive to this. He will live his whole life learning to deal with and manage his poor spelling. Additionally, he stated that if he got offended by every comment about how poor spelling was annoying, he would never get out of bed. He just doesn't read posts or threads about such things. It's just what he has to do to learn to live with dyslexia.

Very well said.

You must have missed the thread a week or so ago where several people said that substituting one word for another is caused by stupidity.

On a personal level, I agree that spelling and grammar errors make a writer appear unprofessional. I have told my kids umpteen times that they can have a brilliant idea or opinion, but no-one will care if their writing is full of errors. On the other hand, having kids with dyslexia has challenged many of my own assumptions about intelligence and writing skills. I still cringe at spelling and grammar errors, but I am a lot less judgmental toward the writer because I've seen how hard my kids have to work to achieve results that many would deem substandard. Don't misunderstand me; there's nothing wrong with hard work, but my mama's heart hurts for kids (and the adults they grow into) who work twice as hard as others only to be told that it's not good enough and they could do better if they'd just try harder.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Some of the responses on this thread were the reason I closed the thread the first time I read it.

Some of the responses on this thread were the reason I closed the thread the first time I read it.

I didn't open the other thread at all. It's too painful, even as I know it is not personal, and I agree that it is annoying to read work with obvious errors. I can see how hard my dc works to not make certain errors. There are resources, and we have done tutoring, but it is a life-long issue, even when it improves. DC does try make use of all the help available for people with such glitches, but I agree with whoever said that sometimes you don't realize you're making a mistake. You think you go it covered, you think you remembered it correctly, but in fact your synapses don't connect as well as people without dyslexia or processing issues. Sometimes you make the same mistake over and over, even when you've corrected over and over in the past. The brain is a big tease sometimes.

Edited by LibraryLover

:001_huh: Actually I DO have a very good clue. And it is disappointing that you read my post with so much bias that you completely missed that everything I wrote in it was about how it has nothing to do with intelligence or laziness.

My entire post was in response to someone saying they felt a dyslectic wouldn't feel comfortable posting here. I said:

I hope they feel comfortable here, bc we have all made spelling flubs here.

I hope if they can't make themselves clear enough to be understood that they can ask someone to help them, access electronic media to help them, or let us know they are having a difficulty so we can know how to communicate with them better. (ha! Actually I wrote can and left out the not!)

That most view this board as a casual place and don't expect formal writing for posting here.

If it were a formal writing situation, they would need to access every editing tool/editor they can to make sure their writing is as professional as themselves.

And you managed to twist all that to me being discouraging and suggesting they are lazy?:001_huh:

:001_huh: Yes, I did miss that.

Me too. :001_huh:

I recall when I started working an office near my "big boss," and he called out to me, "how do you spell 'pencil'?" I laughed, because I was sure that was a joke. He responded, "I wasn't joking." Then I shared with him about my dad, who is severely dyslexic. (Or as my boss would say, "di'lexic.") After that, he felt free to ask me for help all the time, and I was glad to give it. After several years, he finally mastered the spelling of one of his favorite words: senerario - I mean scenario. He was a really smart person but often had a chip on his shoulder - I wonder why.

Me too. My father would stay up all night long rewriting and rewriting and rewriting his reports and stuff for work even though they might only have needed a few sentences in various places or a paragraph. He would shout out all the time asking how to spell stuff when I was in elementary school. Or read a sentence out loud and ask if that is what he actually wrote and did it make sense.

Yes. My son too. :grouphug:

Maybe a stupid question but here goes.

I don't know anybody who is dyslexic (that I know of) & I'm woefully ignorant of how this works.

Using the example given, "inconvenience". You know that there's a "v" sound in the word, but there isn't a "v" in how you've spelled it. Can you not see the letters? I would love someone to explain it to me.

I mean no disrespect or criticism, I just don't understand it. Please forgive me if I've said something rude.

I don't know anybody who is dyslexic (that I know of) & I'm woefully ignorant of how this works.

Using the example given, "inconvenience". You know that there's a "v" sound in the word, but there isn't a "v" in how you've spelled it. Can you not see the letters? I would love someone to explain it to me.

I mean no disrespect or criticism, I just don't understand it. Please forgive me if I've said something rude.

Every dyslexic is different, but some of the difficulties are:

Hearing the separate sounds in words

Hearing (processing) the word incorrectly, thereby dropping some sounds and adding others.

Associating each sound with a specific phonogram

Remembering which phonograms can be used to make a certain sound

Words on the page may be perceived as blurry or moving

It seems so logical and obvious to those of us who don't struggle with language. With my older dyslexic, it took me until she was in 4th grade to realize that she couldn't hear the separate sounds in words. It took even longer to figure out what to do about it.

Edited by LizzyBee

And you managed to twist all that to me being discouraging and suggesting they are lazy?:001_huh:

I'm sorry to say that's how I read your post too. Maybe because this sentence was near the beginning and affected how we perceived your entire post:

It is annoying because it usually shows a lack of due diligence in editing efforts.
Internet communication is so easy to misinterpret regardless of how careful we try to be. Having this conversation over a glass of wine and some good chocolate would be so much easier. :tongue_smilie:

So true. Processing issues are very complicated.

I have an adult friend who reads fine, but has issues with spelling and pronunciation. She cannot say the word Tylenol, for instance. She says "Tie-den-all". There are others, but this one is probably the most blatant. She sometimes will read it, ask me to say, and she will try to repeat it. Once in awhile in will sound correct, but the next minute her tongue gets twisted. It's amazing how many ways such issues can present. She sticks to saying Motrin or Advil. ;) Ibuprofen also gives her difficulty. She's very intelligent, and speaks well otherwise. She simply avoids certain words. Writing can be very laborious when you can't hear/process the sounds correctly.

Every dyslexic is different, but some of the difficulties are:

Hearing the separate sounds in words

Hearing (processing) the word incorrectly, thereby dropping some sounds and adding others.

Associating each sound with a specific phonogram

Remembering which phonograms can be used to make a certain sound

Words on the page may be perceived as blurry or moving

It seems so logical and obvious to those of us who don't struggle with language. With my older dyslexic, it took me until she was in 4th grade to realize that she couldn't hear the separate sounds in words. It took even longer to figure out what to do about it.

Edited by LibraryLover

It's not a stupid question. You don't know about dyslectia and you are asking a question. That is smart!:D

They might know there is a V in there, but their finger wrote/hit the a w. or a y. Or a b. They don't know their finger did that until they go over the paper or reread it. Or until someone points it out.

Or they might not see the letters at all the way you do. Maybe the letters seem reversed, transposed on each other, rearrange with other words, or even float about.

That thing you learn where once you learn deciphering and then that word is always that word? A dyslectic might never have that happen. Because for them, that word might look different every time they look at it. Or their brain might try t decipher it differently each time.

My son will add or say a letter than isn't in a word when we are spelling. Like if I asked him to spell what he might write or say it as wlet. He also tells me that all the vowels sound exactly the same to him.

Edited by Quiver0f10

But what if a dyslexic mom who is a poor speller wants to post here, and she reads threads that are judgmental toward poor spellers? She doesn't have a secretary to proofread her posts. She's not going to post, and that means she won't get the homeschooling help she needs.

sometimes all the hard work in the world isn't enough. Some people will never learn how to spell. That doesn't mean they're not smart, and it doesn't mean they don't have other valuable talents..

THANK YOU!

I have dyslexia. I cannot spell, and often I cannot even see my spelling mistakes. It doesn't just affect spelling. I am assuming that all the judgemental people who posted have no idea what it is like.

Just about all my siblings have dyslexia, my uncles, cousins and my children.

Much research has shown that Dyslexic people have above average intelligence.

If the author is aware that he has dyslexia and if he is in such an important position, he needs an actual human to proof read, not just the computer.

So you would say that all dyslexic people should be limited by having jobs that either have a human proofreader or should just stick to things that don't need writing?????

Just for clarity.

It is annoying because it usually shows a lack of due diligence in editing efforts.

If a mom is dyslectic and wants to post here, then I hope she does. If she is worried she will be judged as unintelligent, then I will assure her that she likely won't be. (We have all made some pretty laughable flubbs for various reasons!)

If she is worried her post might not be completely confusing to readers, then I would suggest she have her husband, friend, or even an older child of hers look over her post to be sure it says what she wanted it to say. If that is not an option, then there are programs out there that will input the spoken word for her. (Those with major or dyslectic issues often can't get by without these programs.). If neither of those are an option, I would suggest she be willing to open up about her issue so that we readers know to ask more clarifying questions to help us help her.

!)

I for one am not going to have my DH read all my posts before I post them!

Have you ever tried to use one of those input spoken words programs? EXTREEMLY FRUSTRATING!.

I would rather you all think I am a wacky Australian who cannot spell.

Some reasons:

We don't know we are spelling a word incorrectly.

It can be annoying or bothersome to look up many words. For some of us to spell everything we want correctly would involve looking up as much as one or two words a sentence.

It's hard to look up how to spell a word when you don't know how to spell it. I usually have to look up words in a convoluted way. (I was going to explain how, but I don't know how to spell... What I have it I use a "Thesaurus". --- I had to Google the phrase, "Words that mean the same" to find out how to spell thesaurus.

I know I often will substitute one word for another, when I have no idea how to spell the word I'm wanting to use. Other words I try to get around never using. (For example you know those things you use to cut with. Begins with a letter "s". I think I have looked up how to spell it at least a dozen times. I even tired typing it out twenty times in a row. I still can't even spell it well enough for a spell checker to guess what I'm trying to spell)

I know I can look up a word, read it, copy it, listen to it said as a audio recording. Say it along with a audio recording. Repeat this action a dozen times - and I still wouldn't know how to spell it. So it's not a matter of look up how it's spelt so you will know it next time. :glare:

For the example of incontinence versus inconvenience.

1) Realize they mis-spelt inconvenience as incontinence.

2) Know how to spell inconvenience well enough to find out how to spell it properly.

3) Give up and try rewording your sentence so you don't have to use the word, "Inconvenience". If so you might end up using a word you can't spell, that is hopefully easier to find out how to spell it then "inconvenience".

3) If they can't spell it close enough, or find another word to us. You can try Googling it:

-- Search for "Dictionary" and "Not a good time"

-- If that doesn't work try searching for other easy to spell definitions or inconvenience.

4) Oh and do this for sometimes as many as 1 word per sentence. Most likely well working on a dead line and maybe on a device with a small screen.

And know that no matter how hard you try spelling mistakes will get through and you will be looked down on as a bad speller and possibly not smart. So WHY bother trying to hard to begin with.

... or and along the way also be editing for grammar, since you are likely having to always reword things to get around your bad spelling. So this messes with the flow of words coming out of your head.

THANK YOU,

Obviously written by someone who knows what they are talking about!

I can't hear the different sounds (I am also extremely tone deaf). My biggest problem is with double consonants. And it doesn't seem to matter how much time I spend practising, I still make mistakes (in this post I misspelled double (two b's before the spell-check caught it) and practising (a c instead of the s)). This means I also mispronounce words. It also means that a phonics based program is actually harder for me.

I am however VERY good at hiding my disability because I read VERY fast and I am very good at seeing connections. I have a high processing speed you could say. I don't have to read a whole sentence to understand what it is about, of course this causes problems when people sneak little NOTs into questions :D but on the whole that is how I cope.

I wouldn't be discouraged, that poster obviously doesn't know what she is talking about.

I remember helping Dad to get through college English - what an adventure that was! He still struggles every day. Yet he tested with a high IQ as a teen (despite a barely 2nd grade reading level), thanks to the fact that his science abilities were way beyond college.

I also have a sister (an engineer) who was a poor speller (not sure if she still is). She would avoid the issue by choosing an easier word. Once we were filling out our junior high emergency contact forms. My sister spelled neighbor incorrectly. I asked her why she didn't just put "friend." She said that she wasn't sure how to spell that, either, and felt that she would look less stupid for misspelling "neighbor" versus "friend."

Yes, you can be smart and a poor speller. But, you can even be a good speller and still misspell basic words when your mind is on something else. I quit rolling my eyes at others' spelling/grammar errors when I caught myself committing a couple of really obvious ones for all to see. And I'm really good at English and spelling, according to test scores.

Pencil is one of the words I have never mastered.

This. Every word of it.

My son has dyslexia and is also extremely intelligent. He belongs at a top science/engineering school for college. He will likely not have that chance because even with accommodations, he can't finish the SAT/ACT.

Can he get extra accommodations? My DS 17 has Dyslexia, He has just finished getting his official diagnosis for university and teh university has said that all accommodations that the psychologist recommends will be implemented, My Ds can choose if he doesn't want to do all of them. They included a person to read the exam paper to him, ability to use a computer with spell check for the exam, an extra 30 minutes per hour for the exam, not be marked down because of poor spelling or grammar.

He is going into engineering.

Here's a funny joke......

Texan: "Where are you from?"

Harvard Grad: "I come from a place where we do not end our sentences with prepositions."

Texan: "OK - where are you from, jackass?"

While it's important to work at self-improvement, whether that be spelling, written grammar, spoken grammer, or a whole 'nother issue, some folks are always going to be pedantic a-holes.

Using the example given, "inconvenience". You know that there's a "v" sound in the word, but there isn't a "v" in how you've spelled it. Can you not see the letters?

There are two types of dyslexia plus a combination of the two. My dd's type of dyslexia makes it so that her eyes don't see all the letters in the word she's reading. (She has great phonemic awareness.) Dd compensates by doing a lot of context-based guessing and using what she *does* recognize of the letters to fill in the blanks. I could see her re-reading her writing and not noticing the V. She often misses her own mistakes upon re-reading.

Believe me when I say We know every rule of phonics.

here is an example,

My DS17 knows that for a long sound e he need to have an e-e or ea or e can have a long sound at the end of a word. He can tell me these rules he knows these rules, he spells the word We as WEA all the time, He thinks he has it right, and doesn't even notice his error.

Edited by melissaL
spelling

I can't hear the different sounds (I am also extremely tone deaf). My biggest problem is with double consonants. And it doesn't seem to matter how much time I spend practising, I still make mistakes (in this post I misspelled double (two b's before the spell-check caught it) and practising (a c instead of the s)). This means I also mispronounce words. It also means that a phonics based program is actually harder for me.

I am however VERY good at hiding my disability because I read VERY fast and I am very good at seeing connections. I have a high processing speed you could say. I don't have to read a whole sentence to understand what it is about, of course this causes problems when people sneak little NOTs into questions :D but on the whole that is how I cope.

That is how it is for me as well, I always spell double with bb. I also read very fast, I suspect it is more skimming though. Add to it a Canadian husband who pronounces things differently to me, and I can get completely confused in spoken language as well.

My Brother can only read when he skips all small words, otherwise he looses the picture in his mind on what the sentence is about. He is manager of maintenance for Ambulance Victoria ( that is right for the whole state) He often sends out emails with wacky spelling, he does have secretaries that proofread , but there are many times where he needs to contact people immediately or out of hours or reply straight away.

The "spelling = intelligence level" thing has always bugged me. I am an excellent speller (watch me spell something wrong in this post....:lol::lol::lol:) and spelling has always come easily to me. TOO easily to have anything to do with my work ethic.

For me, it's like getting credit for my hair color. Some of the most intelligent people I know, are terrible spellers.

I don't have much of a problem spelling unless I stare at the word too long. Now my Dh, who is much smarter than I am, is a wretched speller.

I really don't care about people's spelling on a forum. Doesn't even cross my mind -and most of the time my brain autocorrects for them.

Edited by justamouse
correcting slang so it's not held against me

So you would say that all dyslexic people should be limited by having jobs that either have a human proofreader or should just stick to things that don't need writing?????

Short answer: If the communication is important, then, yes.

A teacher who sends letters to parents that are full of spelling mistakes because she is dyslexic will not be taken seriously by the parents -even if she is a great teacher and intelligent. She needs to use a human proofreader.

A person who writes public communications on behalf of a company is directly affecting the company's reputation if he sends out writing with mistakes.

Or, to use my field of work: a scientist who does brilliant research will not get his paper published in a reputable journal or his funding proposal accepted if he does not write in correct English without errors (even foreigners must do so). If he wants to publish or get funding, he absolutely must have a human proofreader if he can not guarantee error free writing by himself.

The proofreader does not have to "come with the job" - it can be a colleague, friend, or spouse.

But I really see not way around this. I can not imagine a job where written communication is important and, at the same time, it is OK to write with a lot of spelling mistakes.

A teacher who sends letters to parents that are full of spelling mistakes because she is dyslexic will not be taken seriously by the parents -even if she is a great teacher and intelligent. She needs to use a human proofreader.

A person who writes public communications on behalf of a company is directly affecting the company's reputation if he sends out writing with mistakes.

Or, to use my field of work: a scientist who does brilliant research will not get his paper published in a reputable journal or his funding proposal accepted if he does not write in correct English without errors (even foreigners must do so). If he wants to publish or get funding, he absolutely must have a human proofreader if he can not guarantee error free writing by himself.

I really see not way around this. I can not imagine a job where written communication is important and, at the same time, it is OK to write with a lot of spelling mistakes.

I love my child and do not want to limit her opportunities, but I don't think it's a good idea, for example, to hire a classroom teacher who has dyslexia if it interferes with her ability to teach the children to read, write, or spell correctly. I think, if the dyslexia interferes with the ability to do the job, then that's a case where the person with dyslexia needs a different job.

I love my child and do not want to limit her opportunities, but I don't think it's a good idea, for example, to hire a classroom teacher who has dyslexia if it interferes with her ability to teach the children to read, write, or spell correctly. I think, if the dyslexia interferes with the ability to do the job, then that's a case where the person with dyslexia needs a different job.

I disagree.

My Uncle has Dyslexia, He teachers High School English. He tell the class right at the start that he has problems with spelling and they can get brownie points for noticing spelling errors and correcting him. It really helps the students to develop proofreading skills. And what student doesn't love correcting the teacher!

THANK YOU,

Obviously written by someone who knows what they are talking about!

Actually I consider myself of an average ability with spelling. I just can understand what it would be like. :)

My problem is with speaking. :p I'm sure if I was a kid now days I would be receiving special help of some sort.

My latest example... I want to read the book, "The Borrowers" to my kids. But I can say the word. I can say "borrow" and I can say words ending in "er" but put those together and :confused:

It comes out as "burrowers", then "borrororowers" then ... ? I think I watched the latest you tube trailer for the upcoming movie at least twenty times pausing after they say the word, trying to say it, rewinding and trying again. I then got my dh to help me, and he corrected me at least a dozen times. I think I finally can do it. :) (If not both my boys can easily correct me. :glare: )

So I HATED it in school when people who tell me "sound it out" when it came to spelling. I can't sound it out. You are talking to the person who was a adult before being able to say "bird" instead of "board".

I can spell okay, but I have had to work around the fact I can not "sound out" words.

Can he get extra accommodations? My DS 17 has Dyslexia, He has just finished getting his official diagnosis for university and teh university has said that all accommodations that the psychologist recommends will be implemented, My Ds can choose if he doesn't want to do all of them. They included a person to read the exam paper to him, ability to use a computer with spell check for the exam, an extra 30 minutes per hour for the exam, not be marked down because of poor spelling or grammar.

He is going into engineering.

Time and a half is standard and anything above that is really difficult to get. He truly needs double time at a minimum.

I disagree.

My Uncle has Dyslexia, He teachers High School English. He tell the class right at the start that he has problems with spelling and they can get brownie points for noticing spelling errors and correcting him. It really helps the students to develop proofreading skills. And what student doesn't love correcting the teacher!

Maybe I was unclear.

I was thinking about an elementary teacher who is responsible for teaching reading, writing, and spelling.

I do think a high school English teacher can expect his students to know how to spell... I would think he could explain his errors as being caused by his dyslexia and tell them that they are still expected to do their best and edit/proofread/spell check.

I think the way you describe his approach is excellent.

But what if it's a first grader?

I think it would be unfair for a person whose severity of dyslexia makes them unable to read, write, or spell correctly to teach a classroom of children to do so. (I am thinking about young children who are *learning* to read, write, and spell.) IMO That would be like expecting a deaf person to teach a child to sing in tune.

ETA: When it comes to homeschooling, moms who need help to teach certain skills/topics have options including tutors, co-ops, etc. It is different in the elementary classroom where the teacher is hired to do the teaching.

Edited by zaichiki

I don't want to quote everyone who answered me but thank you to all of you. I think I get it now. I'm not dyslexic but I can relate to a few of the types. I wonder if its some sort of continuum.

Reading & spelling have always come pretty easily to me (not perfectly, by all means) but I have other weaknesses. It really pi$$es me off when people obviously judge my overall intelligence by my weakness so in that regard I sympathize.

Again, apologies if my question sounded rude.

The proofreader does not have to "come with the job" - it can be a colleague, friend, or spouse.

But I really see not way around this. I can not imagine a job where written communication is important and, at the same time, it is OK to write with a lot of spelling mistakes.

I completely agree.

I disagree.

This is what I do. I teach high school English and I always tell my students at the start :001_smile:

I don't want to quote everyone who answered me but thank you to all of you. I think I get it now. I'm not dyslexic but I can relate to a few of the types. I wonder if its some sort of continuum.

Reading & spelling have always come pretty easily to me (not perfectly, by all means) but I have other weaknesses. It really pi$$es me off when people obviously judge my overall intelligence by my weakness so in that regard I sympathize.

Again, apologies if my question sounded rude.

Your question was absolutely not rude. And yes it is definitely a continuum. My case is really quite mild. One of my best friends has a much more severe case. He has big problems reading a text.