Menu

Do people really fall for these scams?

I have a nice desk up for sale on Craig's list and the scams abound! :glare: They want to send a cashier's check for over the cost of the desk so that I can pay the mover's they will send. The actual buyer can't come see it, of course, but that's okay - they don't care about inspecting it or checking out the damage I mentioned. The $300 asking price is fine, in fact, one is even willing to pay me an extra $50 for my trouble. :smash:

All I need is one REAL buyer, and I'm willing to drop the price for them!

ARGGGGH. :mad:

Oh.my.gosh. I'm stunned. Definitely...take the money. Quick, Amy.quick.:w00t:

I have a nice desk up for sale on Craig's list and the scams abound! :glare: They want to send a cashier's check for over the cost of the desk so that I can pay the mover's they will send. The actual buyer can't come see it, of course, but that's okay - they don't care about inspecting it or checking out the damage I mentioned. The $300 asking price is fine, in fact, one is even willing to pay me an extra $50 for my trouble. :smash:

All I need is one REAL buyer, and I'm willing to drop the price for them!

ARGGGGH. :mad:

Those scams are appalling! I really can't believe that people fall for them but, sadly, they do.

Someone tried to scam me once via my cell phone. I could tell that the call was not coming from the US because there was a several-second delay whenever the caller spoke (plus, no number came up on the caller ID). Basically he said that I was the lucky recipient of a US Government grant. To claim the money, all I had to do was give him my SS# (to verify my identity) and my bank account number so they could directly deposit the money for me -- how convenient! I had not applied for any type of grant so I knew this was scam and I immediately hung up. The really scary part was that the caller asked for me by name!

That is the one thing about Craig's list that bothers me. I sold my ds's PSP last week, and I had several "buyers" who wanted to send me lots of extra money to send the game system overseas to some country. Of course, they were not available to come and check out the game.

Then there was the time I replied to an ad for a car that, I thought, was a great deal. In the emailed reply, the guy was going to have to ship the car from overseas!! So I would be buying a car unseen, and would have to pick it up from the shipping location! :001_huh:

Those scams are appalling! I really can't believe that people fall for them but, sadly, they do.

Someone tried to scam me once via my cell phone. I could tell that the call was not coming from the US because there was a several-second delay whenever the caller spoke (plus, no number came up on the caller ID). Basically he said that I was the lucky recipient of a US Government grant. To claim the money, all I had to do was give him my SS# (to verify my identity) and my bank account number so they could directly deposit the money for me -- how convenient! I had not applied for any type of grant so I knew this was scam and I immediately hung up. The really scary part was that the caller asked for me by name!

:lol: I had one telling me with his indian accent "I am from US government and you are owed tax money from 10 years ago" I said no thank you keep it. and hung up