Menu

Break In in my neighborhood

I am so nervous.

There have been two home break ins on my street and last night someones car was broken into. Barely a block away another home was broken into. In one break in no one was home (2:30 in the afternoon) and the other was during the night and the elderly couple at home never woke up.

I have lived here 10 years and have never experienced anything like this.

I have a security system and a big loud dog (although I'm not sure how much help she would be besides barking).

Anyone have a gun for protection?

You might want to phone the local police dept. and ask for help. They are probably aware of things happening, putting on extra patrols, stuff like this. They can also come over to your house or advise you what steps to take if you are missing any to make your home more secure.

You could set up a neighborhood facebook page, be a little bit activist about it, go door to door and say hi to everyone-stuff like that, contacts numbers and such. Depends on the kind of neighborhood you live in and your comfort level.

The 2:30 afternoon thing makes me think it's probably someone within the neighborhood ..probably a teen or something...pretty aware of who goes where and when.

If you don't normally have this kind of stuff going on and that fast of a pattern picking up, it's probably not going to stop until they get caught.

Owning firearms - this is a topic unto itself. There's a ton of responsibility and training that goes hand in hand with ownership.

Are you trained in firearms?

I feel for you.

A kid who lives in the neighborhood behind us tried to break into our house a few yrs ago.

I know who it is because the police came and dusted for fingerprints and he had also been to other people's homes (guess he'd already been in trouble before)--- not the brightest kid.

Anyway. I say he *tried* to break in because he only got as far as taking our screen off the window when our very loud and vicious acting dog must have scared him off. It was around 2:00 or so in the afternoon and we happened to be out. I feel like there is really no other explanation since he was determined enough to carry on to other houses.

A loud and barking dog is one of the best deterrents we were told.

Now we have a video camera outside.... but your dog should alert you if you're home and would hopefully scare off the person if you're not.

We've had a lot of break ins in our greater neighborhood lately. Most have involved open windows or doors or garages. We are being extra vigilant about locking up so that they don't have the opportunity. Do you have a dog? I would get a dog before a firearm, if I weren't used to firearms. (We have both.)

I don't live in a neighborhood (state?) where people really leave doors/windows unlocked, although I am sure there are exceptions.

I have a 70 pound puppy with a big bark. Unfortunately that is where it ends. If someone was to break in she would run and get a toy for them to toss.

I miss having a big scary looking german shepherd. :001_smile:

I have alarms on every window in the house (can you tell I am overly security conscious) and have a lock on the door from the basement that leads into the house.

I know a ton of people on my street (that is how I am finding out this awful news).

It still amazes me though that the family across the street went on vacation over Christmas and left no lights on in the house, no lights on a timer, nothing.

:grouphug::grouphug: We had this issue this past summer.

We have a noisy dog but no alarm system.

We ended with a safe to protect our valuables and our firearms. (the thieves were taking firearms, we are rural everybody owns several guns of varying sizes.)

We did have a town meeting. We were told to lock our doors 24/7 especially when we went to shower or something. There is some protective stuff the prevents them from breaking windows. Also they pointed out landscaping (large bushes) are not your friends, as they allow people to hide around your house.

Do you have one of those stick signs for your security systems...the one that stick in the yard? If not, get one. I've heard from several police officers (during a safety seminar) that those are very effective deterrents.

Or anything to advertise your big loud dog. Like an I Love my Mastiff sticker stuck to the door.

yeah....we have guns for protection--the past couple of years things like you have going on where you are have been happening in our neighborhood--they are locked up and out of reach of the kiddo of course....one's in the bedroom closet up high and the others are downstairs in the gun safe.....I want one that is a little smaller than what we have "for my use" but just haven't gotten around to looking yet....we got an alarm system for the house too-hubby works night shifts sometimes so that gives me a little peace of mind also.....

:iagree: We recently had an attempted break in two houses away. Someone tried to enter through a basement window and had ripped out the screen (We all have walk out basements with big windows that would be easy to fit through). Thankfully, they were not successful.

The neighbors on each side of this particular house have dogs that bark a lot, so I do think that a loud barking dog is a great deterrent. It is hard to sneak in if Fido is going nuts!! FYI, we only have 15 houses in our cul-de-sac and a total of 12 dogs in the neighborhood. It just seems like the house without the dog was targeted.

We have 2 dogs and the "fake" security sign in the front yard that we got from a family member (who actually does use the company in their home).

I have to say though that my husband and I discussed what would happen if we had a break in at our house. It is usually such a disorganized wreck that a thief would probably walk in and say "Dang, this place is ransacked. Someone beat us to it:D!"

I hope that you are able to feel safe and secure. It is a frightening situation.

I have a 70 pound puppy with a big bark. Unfortunately that is where it ends. If someone was to break in she would run and get a toy for them to toss.

Clever dog! It's all part of her ingenious strategy to distract the burglars and keep them busy until the police arrive. :tongue_smilie:

Do you have motion detector lights? We have a dog, security system and those.

I would suggest those, as well. I would not suggest a gun to someone who is not very well trained in using it, especially when you are already nervous. You don't want to take a chance on accidentally shooting your dh when he walks back into the house after going outside in the middle of the night because he forgot to put the trash out at the curb.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're nervous -- I would feel the same way. It's scary to think someone may be lurking around the neighborhood.

One thing about the motion detector lights, though -- if you have a lot of animals in the neighborhood, they can set off the lights and scare you half out of your wits.

I think the big, barking dog is your best alarm and your best deterrent.

Do you have motion detector lights? We have a dog, security system and those.

Motion detector lights are one thing I don't have.

I was just walking around my house and thinking I need to get some installed.

My neighbor has one on his garage that is super sensitive and always lighting up my backyard.

The other thing I don't get is why my neighborhood. Its a typical middle american neighborhood. The houses are all from the 1940s-1960s. No McMansions, no super fancy cars in the driveway.

The houses broken into weren't even nice looking. There are far nicer homes on the block.

They would be so disappointed if they broke into my house. The TVs are 20+ years old and no jewelry (I am severely allergic to gold).

Edited by gingersmom