Menu

fair amount of pages to read....

AngelBee

No real answer here. It depends on your child's abilities and personality.

My daughter is 10 and in 5th/6th grade. She hates reading. She does it well, but as I want her to one day ENJOY it, I do not push it (or make it law) now; nor do I dictate, outside of required school reading (textbooks, for example), WHAT she reads.

She reads so much during school time, just for academics, that I can't really imagine forcing her to read otherwise. Seems counter productive.

Sorry. I know mine isn't an answer you want your children to see :D.

No real answer here. It depends on your child's abilities and personality.

My daughter is 10 and in 5th/6th grade. She hates reading. She does it well, but as I want her to one day ENJOY it, I do not push it (or make it law) now; nor do I dictate, outside of required school reading (textbooks, for example), WHAT she reads.

She reads so much during school time, just for academics, that I can't really imagine forcing her to read otherwise. Seems counter productive.

Sorry. I know mine isn't an answer you want your children to see :D.

So how many pages would u say she does of textbooks and required school stuff?

I can give you the amount that we read weekly, if that might be helpful. You use TOG, right? So my D level had to read two 120-150 page books this week, one lit and one history. Then she had to do some science reading, 5-10 pages. She also has to read for 30-45 minutes for free reading every day, but I don't keep track of how many pages that would be.

I also have a young UG. He only reads a section from one of the UG books or a whole LG book. Then he also has 30 minutes of free reading a day, but again I don't know how many pages that is.

Tough question, especially the first grader because there is such a range of levels that kids are at at that age.

My dd (1st grade) reads her OPG lesson, her ETC lesson, and one easy reader book (or section from a larger collection) each day. She also reads some from her science book & workbook.

I expect a lot more out of my 3rd grader. He has to read his own textbooks and workbooks. (science, math, spelling, and religion) He's allowed to ask questions about the instructions if he doesn't understand them. (We do a more teacher intensive math lesson about once or twice a week when new topics are covered.)

I also assign a book for literature each week that I expect him to read a chapter a day (we also use literature for vocabulary, 5 words a day that he looks up in a dictionary).

I read SOTW out loud because it is for my dd too, but I do assign one picture book (30-50 pages) (sometimes fiction, sometimes non-fiction) a week that goes along with what we are reading about in history that he has to read on his own and write a summary about.

Grammar and writing (FLL and WWE) are more teacher intensive and don't involve a lot of reading, but he does read the story exerpts from WWE to himself before I ask the questions.

Lastly, he reads for 45-60 minutes each night before bed on evenings we don't have extra-curricular activities.

I don't have a child near 6th grade, so I can't say what we do. :)

Edited by BramFam

Oh....I am asking about school reading. Not free read. My dd10 if saying a three pages chapter in history of us is too much. ???

I should have been more specific. We read Explorers Who Got Lost this week for Y2. So I don't think that 120 pages like history of us.

Are your kids at a stage where they might argue with you but they have more respect for official curriculum? One of mine was like that, for ages 9 to 11. He just had no respect for Mommy School. (grrr)

I used Sonlight, showed him each day what "it" said he had to read, and he grudgingly did it. He wouldn't do it even grudgingly if I set the lessons, but he would have respect for strangers in Littleton, CO. I don't know why. He'd never gone to school or anything.

Sometimes kids are twerps.

If you don't use Sonlight or some other curriculum that lists exact pages to read, go to Sonlight's website and download the three-week samples for each of your kids' grades. Show them that other homeschoolers are reading that much every day.

Well my 1st grader does about half a page of PP a day and reads one page or 1 story of her phonics reader a day. Sometimes in the evening she also reads a few pages of an easy reader like Cat in the Hat. I don't have a 4th grader or a 6th grader. My 3rd grader reads probably about 1-3 chapters of a book a day depending on how long they are.

My 3rd grader reads probably about 1-3 chapters of a book a day depending on how long they are.

My 2nd grader does this also (he reads above grade level). Totally depends on the book as to how many chapters I would assign. I don't have Wind in the Willows full version (only the Junior Classics version), but it seems like one chapter would definitely not be too much for a 12 year old.

But really, you can't say "x pages a day" because it depends on the size of the pages, the font sized used, the amount of text (vs pictures) on the pages, etc. I just have to look at the text myself and judge what I think my son is capable of handling. He'll read one or two sections of SOTW at a time, 1-3 chapters of a fiction book, 2-4 pages of his science textbook, etc.

Sounds like your 12 year old isn't enjoying Wind in the Willows. I'll tell you, we tried to listen to the audio book in the van, and we were all bored by it. Is this a normal occurrence for that amount of reading to take that long? Or is it just this book?

I ask my son to read to himself for at least 20 minutes about 5 times per week. Lately he's been having a hard time sleeping at night, so I have started to suggest that he read for 20 - 30 minutes in bed, so the time is starting to rise a bit. When he was just beginning to read, he would usually spend the 20 minutes flipping through books and looking at the pictures and not really reading. I was ok with that. I also chose books on his reading level that he read aloud to me (we still do this). At the time that was more important as it allowed me to help him with sounding out words and reminding him of the phonics rules, etc. The 20 minutes that he spent flipping through books, looking at pictures and not reading, just set the routine for the 20 minutes of actual reading that he does now.

Edited by Cindyz