Menu

Sudden aversion to previously tolerated foods?

I month ago I bought some Stevia that had a really strong chemical taste. I had only used it a handful of times, but a few days ago I drank some green tea (with it in it) first thing in the morning and felt off. A short while later I threw it all up. (sorry:blushing:)

Now, I am struggling with anything that has an artificial sweetener. Before I would taste the somewhat yucky aftertaste, but be able to drink or eat it anyway. Now, I just can't and I do feel sick afterwards.

Has anyone had this happen? Originally, I thought I had the stomach flu, but so long as I stay away from artificial stuff I feel okay.:confused:

Oh, and I am known to have a cast iron stomach, but that seems to be changing.

What would make my body suddenly start reacting to these things?

Perhaps you have a higher stress load on your body now. I react more to some foods when there are more allergens in the air -- you wouldn't necessarily think the 2 are related, but your body just gets to a point of "enough already" and goes into an inflammatory response.

When I was little I had no problem with corn. Now I can't tolerate it. I tell people I think my body was born with a limit of how much corn I could consume, and I've apparently maxed out. Of course, as we age we have more inflammatory response going on, so that's probably the real reason.

I've heard that plenty of people develop a reaction to Poison Ivy over time -- they don't develop visible contact dermatitis to it for years and years, and then BAM (different problem than food, but another example of changing reactions to substances).

It may be a bad batch of Stevia that has gotten progressively worse in whatever is wrong with it since you opened it. I'm also assuming you're not pregnant since early pregnancy sometimes can cause a similar reaction to previously tolerated foods. Like GailV mentioned, sometimes your body will have an immediate negative reaction to something that was fine before.

Perhaps you have a higher stress load on your body now. I react more to some foods when there are more allergens in the air -- you wouldn't necessarily think the 2 are related, but your body just gets to a point of "enough already" and goes into an inflammatory response.

When I was little I had no problem with corn. Now I can't tolerate it. I tell people I think my body was born with a limit of how much corn I could consume, and I've apparently maxed out. Of course, as we age we have more inflammatory response going on, so that's probably the real reason.

I've heard that plenty of people develop a reaction to Poison Ivy over time -- they don't develop visible contact dermatitis to it for years and years, and then BAM (different problem than food, but another example of changing reactions to substances).

It is funny you mention Poison Ivy as 3 of my 4 kids are battling a raging case of it. In fact I have to take dd to the Dr this afternoon for stronger meds.

Edited: No there is no way I am pregnant. :D

Stevia is not an artificial sweetener - it is a plant. You can buy them at the garden shop. If you're getting an after taste, you using too much.

I month ago I bought some Stevia that had a really strong chemical taste.

It may be a bad batch of Stevia that has gotten progressively worse in whatever is wrong with it since you opened it.

:iagree: Or there was something in the green tea. Or the heat of the tea allowed whatever was in the stevia to "grow." Or the stevia was contaminated (it doesn't usually taste like chemicals.)

Stevia is not an artificial sweetener - it is a plant. You can buy them at the garden shop. If you're getting an after taste, you using too much.

:iagree: Or there was something in the green tea. Or the heat of the tea allowed whatever was in the stevia to "grow." Or the stevia was contaminated (it doesn't usually taste like chemicals.)

:iagree:I'd toss the box and give it a couple of weeks.

I know it just tasted so chemically.

I have done some research into this particular brand of stevia and it has gotten many reviewers noting the strong chemical taste. I had previously used a different one that was wonderful!

I only use a tiny pinch as very little goes a long way. Probably, 1/12 of a packet if we were measuring that way. ;)

I'm not sure about stevia, but many artificial sweeteners can be stored in the body, once you reach your limit...it reacts. This also happens with many allergies as exposure increases and continues. You body may react stronger each time.

Imo, I'd listen to my body. In the past, I've been know to suck it up and paid the price later.

I have always disliked the aftertaste of artificial sweeteners. I recently started using xylitol in my coffee (100% xylitol, not one of the many versions that also have artificial sweeteners) and I'm quite happy with it. No aftertaste. (One has to be careful to not use too much, or one might experience a digestive disturbance, but that can improve after a few weeks of regular use)

I'm not sure about stevia, but many artificial sweeteners can be stored in the body, once you reach your limit...it reacts. This also happens with many allergies as exposure increases and continues. You body may react stronger each time.

Imo, I'd listen to my body. In the past, I've been know to suck it up and paid the price later.

I'm not sure about this either, especially since stevia is not artificial. I know some brands though add stuff, like inulin (fiber thingy), and maybe it is something like that?