Menu

first grade reading list?

momma aimee

Anyone got their full first grade readong list they care to share?

I am noty one to recreate the wheel if i can find a wheel to copy. :)

I am plotting and planning 1st grade

I am thinking I am going to pull books from Tanglewood Histroy and Literture and also Amberside (they break the reading down by week) for books...of course we won't read all of both, but they seem to be good lists.

I want Lit to be an addtional subject beyond phonics / reading because i feel it is important they boys hear good lit that is well beyond their reading and that they be able to "tell it back" or at least some of it.

Anyone have anything to share that they used?

Do you mean chapter books? Just literature not history? I made my chapter book list about 2 monthsago. I combined ambleside,sonlight, and satori site. This way I can pick up the books when I see them at the library sales (25c each) or the used book store. I also started reading the books each night to my oldest two girls. My 5yrl will be 1st grade next year and she has really enjoyed this. If they don't like a book I drop it till later. I have the list in a notebook cause I'm old school like that! Wizard of Oz has been the favorite though.

I did this list with my first grader who had a difficult time paying attention to chapter books. We didn't make it through all the chapter books and we are finishing them up this school year (2nd grade). But the good news is that by the end of the school year he was able to attend to chapter books read aloud. Now literature (read alouds) is one of his favorite subjects.

• 3 weeks later...

We have a lot of stuff planned to read for next year. Some history and some fun. DD loves sci-fi/fantasy books but we aren't doing all sci-fi/fantasy obviously. Next year our very ambitious goal is:

The Hobbit

The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe

The Cricket in Times Square

A Wrinkle in Time

Charlotte's Web

Black Ships Before Troy (history selection)

The Odyssey (re-done version as recommended in TWTM. History selection)

Trumpet and the Swan

Stuart Little

Little House in the Big Woods

We will definitely do the two history selections. We can probably read most of the literature selections too. Daddy will do the Hobbit at night and the other ones will be read during reading hour and usually a chapter at a time.

• 2 weeks later...
My dd will be in 1st grade next year and I want to do a WTM reading list. She reads probably on a 3rd grade level and listens well to chapter books, but isn't really mature enough to read chapter books on her own yet. We are reading through a child's version of the Bible. Any suggestions as to specific Bibles I should use for assigned reading for her as noted at the top of the WTM list for 1st grade? It just says "The Bible" on there. :)

Have you tried The Jesus Storybook Bible? It's written in a way that keeps my kids attention and I would think that your daughter would be able to easily read it if she's at a 3rd grade reading level.

Well, I can tell you what we have gotten to so far for this year (1st grade) and the plan for the rest of the year for read-alouds.

This year we have read aloud:

Ramona the Pest

The Reluctant Dragon

The Jamie and Angus Stories

Ramona the Brave

Ramona and Her Mother

Ramona and Her Father

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Fantastic Mr. Fox

The rest of the year plan includes:

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (we are in Middle Ages history)

How to Eat Fried Worms

Five Children and It

The Tale of Despareaux

The Happy Hollisters

Owls in the Family

Just So Stories

I'll be honest, the original list was twice this long, but life gets in the way, and I'd rather be realistic and actually have some reading get done than be overly ambitious and paralyzed by my plans. :)

Our read alouds so far this year:

The Long Winter

Little Town on the Prairie

These Happy Golden Years

The First Four Years

Peter Pan

Misty of Chincoteague

The Cricket in Times Square

White Stallion of Lippiza

Selections from The Blue Fairy Book

George Washington - D'aulaire

Lightfoot the Deer - Thornton Burgess

Five Children and It.

Chapter books DD has read herself:

Skylark

The Courage of Sarah Noble

Busy Times and More Busy Times (2nd Grade Pathway Readers)

Anna Hibiscus

Owls in the Family

Angus and Sadie

Caddie Woodlawn

Doctor Doolittle

James and The Giant Peach

The Mouse and the Motorcycle

The 100 Dresses

Mary Pope Osborne's The Odyssey series

Little House on the Prairie

On The Banks of Plum Creek

Stories from Grandma's Attic