Menu

Text speak - what does this one mean?

I asked dh that because it was at the end of several of his e-mails. He told me he didn't do it. He thought it might be some extraneous character in the translation from mobile device to mail...maybe a line feed or return?

So I was motivated to search online.

It looks like it is a mistranslation of a smilie:

http://www.quora.com/Email/What-do-people-mean-when-they-put-a-J-at-the-end-of-a-sentence

Thanks for the info. The J's keep showing up in work related e-mails, so I hope it doesn't mean they're joking. I'm also seeing it on Facebook frequently. Interesting....and according to the link you sent me, it makes perfect sense since I use a Mac.

I text, but certainly am not as much into it as others and didn't realize how many new symbols and text abbreviations there are out there until I tried to search this one out. Gosh, I wish we could just use our written language intact instead of creating yet another way to abbreviate words!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

While we are discussing such things can I just pipe in and say that the trend of teen girls writing like this is BEYOND annoying?!

Gonna go to bedd laterr, textt meeee.

Wentt to malll withh the girlzzz. So much funnn!!!

:confused: You don't look cool. You look like a person whose keys keep sticking!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I, like you, find it to completely annoying.

Blessings,

Lucinda

While we are discussing such things can I just pipe in and say that the trend of teen girls writing like this is BEYOND annoying?!

Gonna go to bedd laterr, textt meeee.

Wentt to malll withh the girlzzz. So much funnn!!!

:confused: You don't look cool. You look like a person whose keys keep sticking!

Oh gracious, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one irritated by that.

I have a teenage girl, the daughter of a friend, on my facebook. She does this ALL THE TIME. She's a sweet girl, but it drives me insane. :tongue_smilie:

I've seen J's at the end of every line in an email, so I've always thought it was a formatting thing (something didn't translate right from program to program). I had no idea there were times it might have been a smiley.

J

I've never seen it in a text, only in emails. I always thought it was a formatting thing too.