Menu

FLL 4? Something else?

anabelneri

Hello! I'm looking for advice about grammar.

Sweetie is good at language, generally speaking. We finished FLL1/2 in the first semester of 1st grade, took some time off, and this year she's done all the MCT Island Level books except Practice Island, which we've tried and she strongly dislikes. I was figuring we'd do sentence diagramming in another year or so, but I'm looking at putting that in the schedule now in place of Practice Island.

First, for those experienced in MCT, is there any reason I should push her through Practice Island?

Second, would you suggest FLL3 or 4? I was thinking of FLL3 (since I can get it in PDF, and that's a bonus for us), but after reading some other threads it looks like we might be able to switch to FLL4 and still be Ok.

And last, are there other curricula that teach diagramming that I should look at? I'm really hoping to find something on PDF, but I'm open to looking around. FWIW we also do IEW's Poetry Memorization, and sometimes WWE3 on a good day.

Thanks!

We're doing FLL3 and MCT island now. FLL diagramming so far (we're about 30 lessons in to the book) is quite simple. Dd doens't even need me to explain or ask questions. We have done about 15 or 20 sentences in Practice Island. They are move challenging. I think we probably could have skipped level 3 and gone staring to FLL4 and it would have been fine. Since I already bought 3 (in PDF to use on my iPad) we're going to finish it and then return to practice island to finish the sentences in there. If your child doesn't like practice island FLL3 might be a good fit because it's a little more straight forward and easier to follow.