Menu

Rice Cooker

After reading several threads on here about rice cookers I have decided that our family needs one. :) I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for one. I would prefer to spend less that $50. We are a family of four with only two of us likely to eat rice most days. I don't know what size would be best for us. Any thoughts?

Janet

I got a Zojirushi bread machine for Christmas so I am looking at their rice cooker, but I don't think my husband is willing to spend that much money on a rice cooker right now. He is one of the non rice eaters in the family. I saw a Zojirushi rice cooker at Costco, but it was a different model. I need to see what the differences are. It was more affordable.

Janet

Zojirushi.

They make low-end ones too.

Get one with a steamer basket. It makes the most wonderful fish.

Put a flavored rice mix in the bottom part, with the right amount of water/broth. Put a layer of baby spinach in the steamer basket, top with fish fillets, tuck in a few heads of broccoli or some chopped tomato, maybe put a thin sllice of lemon on the fish.

Push the button.

Dinner, done!

I bought one for $20 at WalMart. It makes plenty of rice for our family of five and works beautifully. I looked at more expensive ones, but I'm SO glad I got this one. It makes me so happy each time I get great rice and I know it was such a bargain. :D We use it 2-3 times a week and have had it for at least a year or two.

I bought one for $20 at WalMart. It makes plenty of rice for our family of five and works beautifully. I looked at more expensive ones, but I'm SO glad I got this one. It makes me so happy each time I get great rice and I know it was such a bargain. :D We use it 2-3 times a week and have had it for at least a year or two.

:iagree: Was it the Aroma? That is the one I have had for a couple years now and use it at least once a week. Love it.

I've had my Aroma for 3+ years and wonder why I didn't get one sooner.

Since I've only owned this one it it hard to say how it compares to the Zo some have mentioned.

But is is on ly $35 on Amazon and it has all the features I need:

1. Delayed feature: If we are going to be gone for the day, I set it up with rice and water, punch in how many hours to "delay" when it will be ready. When dinner come, I have hot rice.

2. Cooks all types of rice: I've done wild, brown, white (various types) and all cook just fine.

3. Clean-up is simple with the nonstick cooking pot. I do spray the bottom only with nonstick spray if I am doing a large amount. The only pain to clean is the vent that pops out.

4. Cooks up to 16 cups - what I need for a family of 6.