Menu

How much do you read to your young child(ren)? evey day?

Aspasia

How much do you read to your young child(ren) each day?  

1. 1. How much do you read to your young child(ren) each day?

• Less than 30 minutes
    • 30-60 minutes
    • 60-90 minutes
    • 90 minutes - 2 hours
    • More than 2 hours

We read the Bible at breakfast and I read their school books at lunch time. It averages 30 minutes, probably. Sometimes it may be more and often a little more, depending on the assignments for the day. We do read sporadically at night but they've wanted more games, drawing, etc. lately instead of books.

When my kids were young, I read to them for 1 1/2hr each day. We did most of this reading at night after dinner snuggled up in my bed. The kids brought in coloring sheets (often based on the book we were reading), and hair brushes (played beauty shop with my hair). We sometimes read in the living room, where they could lay on big floor pillows and eat popcorn. We had fun and I chose well written books that I wanted to read (children's classics). When they were really young, we took piles of picture books to read on all subjects (nonfiction and fiction) which they chose. I miss those earlier reading days, now my kids read that much on their own each night/day.

We read an hour to an hour and a half about 5 days/week. I read the most, but he reads to me as well. I have a shelf of books from the library organized by their scholastic reading level, and he picks one or two from the shelf each day to read to me. They then go onto his current reading shelf that he picks from for free reading. Reading with him is my favorite time of the day...although my legs are really starting to hurt when he asks to sit in my lap, but I'm going to keep allowing it until he doesn't ask anymore!!

Hard to say---it changes every day. We have a regular storytime in the morning hours when I read aloud to my 4 year old. Books I've preselected and ones he just grabs from the shelves---I usually read 2-3 books during this time. He sometimes brings books to me at random times and I always try to stop and read it with him. Picture books of the Mike Mulligan and Little Bear variety etc.

I read aloud to my 18 month old throughout the day---whatever board book or picture book that grabs her interest. She can sometimes sit still for Cat and the hat or Are You My Mother but mostly she's still at the flipping through the pages and pointing and talking about the pictures with me.

I read aloud SOTW to my 8 year old and sometimes some longer folktale stories and picture books and nonfiction for science/history, but mostly he prefers to read to himself during the day.

I read a chapter book to them all at bedtime and I usually get through two chapters before they get sleepy. We're reading through Beverly Cleary's books right now. My oldest started reading them and my 4 year old got curious so I started reading them aloud too.

So I voted 60-90 minutes.

My youngest two get read to probably about 30-60 minutes a day... usually at the beginning of our quiet/nap time and then before bedtime.

My oldest gets read to probably only 30 minutes TOPS a day... we haven't pulled him from PS yet. If he had his way we'd be reading much more, but with the long school day, bus ride, etc. We barely have time for homework and supper before bed. I can't wait until JUNE!!!!

Well, we have read alouds as part of our school day (science, history, etc.). However, we do spend at least an extra half hour a day on my son's favorite series - Goosebumps HorrorLand. Far from classic literature, but he loves it. I read it aloud to him due to his own reading issues (dyslexia). He doesn't realize that when we discuss what I am reading to him, I am having him orally summarize what has happened so far, make inferences and predictions, connections to text, discuss any unknown vocabulary, etc. He begs me to read more to him, but some days we run out of time. Quite often, reading a chapter is the carrot I dangle when I want him to get school work done. He puts forth greater effort and doesn't seem to "dawdle" as much when I promise to read a chapter before transitioning to our next subject.

I know many people probably would not like this particular series (my older two were never interested in it), but it works for this son. And that makes me happy:D.

It really depends on the day.... but every day they have a bible story before bed (from the children's bible) and a chapter from the current read-aloud (right now it is a classic pooh compilation) in the morning.... depending on the length of the story/chapter, it can be 20-30 minutes in total. Some days, they are ask for a lot of random books and others they don't ask for any... DS also reads to me for about 10 minutes every day.

It's about 30 minutes aside from what we do specifically for school. With 3 kids 5 and under, the time gets split up quite a bit between, "Mommy, I'm hungry," "Mommy, I need to go potty," and "Mommy! She's touching me!!"

You get the idea. :)

Between 30-60 minutes per day. Sometimes we'll do a read-aloud while the littles are napping (I would like to do this every day, but chores have to get done sometime), and on most nights we'll read a bedtime story (which is currently "The Invention of Hugo Cabret" - thank you Hive!). If DD is *really* into the story, I'll be a sucker and usually read upwards of an hour.

We do one read-aloud session in the morning of about 30 minutes, plus bedtime reading. There are other times during the day where I sometimes read stories but not every day. I voted 30-60 minutes, but it's probably more like 45-75 minutes for the 3yo and 5yo. It's a bit longer for the 7yo, as she has other subjects that I read aloud (history, science, and her bedtime read-aloud is longer). I do wish we had more time for reading aloud.

We read specifically for school for 1-2 hours a day. That also includes the time my oldest reads aloud to me.

For fun reading I would say 2-3 hours a day. My oldest is a pokey eater so I read to them after I finish my meal and while she is still eating. We usually sit down for at least 45 minutes in the middle of the afternoon and read aloud. We read for an hour at bedtime every night and then my oldest reads to herself for 30 minutes after her little sister falls asleep (they share a room). I read to them a lot to help justify my addiction to children's books.

I read to my 1st & 2nd grader for 45 min during the afternoon and dh reads to them for another 30 min at bedtime. I read to the 3-yr-old and baby for 15-20 min at bedtime and for 5-10 min at various times throughout the day. The big kids often listen in on the little ones' bedtime reading.

I voted 30-60 minutes. Of that, probably only 15-20 are directly, one-on-one with my Pre-K dd, at her level. The majority of the time, she joins in our daily read aloud time, which is at a level she can't really follow yet. But she seems to enjoy it and sticks around even when she could go play, so I count it.

My oldest is in K I also have a 3 and 2 year old. I read 1 to 2 hours a day and none of it is for any specific curricula. The 2yearold is sleeping for the 1/2 hour of a chapter book I read before bed. They also listen to about 30mins worth of audio books during the day.

Half an hour to an hour per day for my preK girl. Almost never to my boy. He appreciates me singing, but will only listen to books if he's in the bath. Most of the time he gets put in the bath so I can go and flake out in a corner, so I'm not terribly diligent about reading to him. They both like audiobooks in the car though.

Rosie