Menu

Fun extras for world geography?

heidip2p

We are using MFW ECC this year. I really want as many locations to stick with the kids as possible. Any ideas for fun games we can use or other things? We are the Flinstone family and do not have an iPad :lol: so those options are out for us. I really want to make learning geography FUN! If it's fun...it's sticks in this house. :)

I just picked up 10 days in Europe from Timberdoodle and we love it! My 5 year old doesn't grasp it but the 11 and 8 year old do. From playing that they have learned the countries of Europe pretty well and it's a fun and quick game. They also have 10 days in Asia, 10 days in USA, 10 days in Africa.

We also have some of those continent puzzles where the pieces are the shapes of the countries. My 8 and 5 year old love those!

We like stuff from GeoToys. We have GeoBingo, which is ok, but they really love GeoCards (World Version). They like to play War (and I don't mind, since it's quick!) where they use the populations (country with higher pop wins) or area (square miles). We make it a bit harder by having to name the capital (or sometimes switch it around by saying capital, and opponent must name country) as we play.

We have the world puzzle from GeoToys which is good, but if I did it over I think I'd just buy the individual continents. The world is just too much, and some of the countries so small you can't see them.

Another thing I do with my kids is use blank map outlines for a continent (and I finally just laminated some and have them use dry-erase markers) and will name a few countries we're memorizing location for, and have them write in name in correct location (or just color it for my 6yo). I let them look at the world map on the wall if they are unsure. They think this is fun. I do this sometimes while I'm cooking dinner, since I can just have them sit at the table and not need to be with them. I just call out countries and they color/write in the right spot.

We have The Ready To Go Super Book of Outline maps from Scholastic. I love having those at my fingertips and the book has some fun activities to add to the maps. Country lapbooks, mobiles, homemade Fandex books, scrambled country puzzles

I've been wanting a GeoSafari for so long---looks really fun.

Reading the folktales of the country you're studying is always a hit around here too.

I just picked up 10 days in Europe from Timberdoodle and we love it! My 5 year old doesn't grasp it but the 11 and 8 year old do. From playing that they have learned the countries of Europe pretty well and it's a fun and quick game. They also have 10 days in Asia, 10 days in USA, 10 days in Africa.

We also have some of those continent puzzles where the pieces are the shapes of the countries. My 8 and 5 year old love those!

I bought 10 Days in Africa as a last minute Christmas gift for my daughter after someone referenced it here. We are having a blast playing it and it has drastically improved our ability to remember the countries and where they are located in Africa. We plan to buy the rest of the series too.

We are using MFW ECC this year. I really want as many locations to stick with the kids as possible. Any ideas for fun games we can use or other things? We are the Flinstone family and do not have an iPad :lol: so those options are out for us. I really want to make learning geography FUN! If it's fun...it's sticks in this house. :)

But you obviously have a computer with internet access?? If so.. Sheppard software geography games are great.

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Geography.htm

We also do Top Secret Adventures. Very nice!

I have been adding musical instruments as we travel around the world. We have learned how to play the lap harp (Europe), Djembe and thumb piano (Africa), Jumbe jam (steel drum, Caribbean) and croaking toad (Asia). We will be learning how to play the didgeridoo when we finally reach Australia. I wanted to buy a gong for Asia but my husband looked at me like I had three heads when I suggested it so we went with the croaking toad instead. Thanks in part to our world studies we now have a very nice collection of instruments.

My 9yo DD has a subscription with Little Passports. She initally received a suitcase with a map and passport booklet. Each month she receives a package with puzzles, an activity/craft, informative story, and code to "unlock" the games for that particular county on their website. She loves it! It works for us because my other child is too old to be interested. We are on our second years' subscription. This could be hard for families with several interested children because each kit only contains one set of everything.

Paper Dolls Around the World

http://www.education.com/worksheets/paper-dolls/

Multicultural Paper Doll Friends

http://www.makingfriends.com/friends/f_multi.htm

CDs with music from around the world should be at the library. Listen while doing arts and crafts.

Multicultural recipes and place setting crafts along with a movie with it's setting in the chosen country.

Mail from the country. Send away for "junk mail". Collect stamps.

Read the travel section of the newspaper.