Menu

Am I doing too much?

cjgrubbs

I had decided to try to do a loop schedule bc I feel stressed each day trying to get it all done and some things aren't getting done. None of my kids are easy either. This is only our 2nd year to HS. 6th grader is better than last year about workind independently but all 3 of my kids now whine and complain at least once each day (often more than once) about something they have to do school-wise.

Together stuff

Bible (we read a chapter or two and pray - this is really like a devo time)

MOH2

Read Aloud

Journal time - to practice handwriting - very laid back.

English from the Roots up - we add 2 words each week

6th grader

MM 6 - daily

IEW writing

Easy Grammar

Assigned reading

3rd grader

RightStart D - daily

IEW writing (only 2 days per week)

Easy Grammar - daily

Assigned Reading - daily

All About Spelling 3 - daily

Kindergartner

Right Start A - 4 times per week - HE LOVES THIS!

IEW PAL (reading, phonics, handwriting) - daily (2-3 lessons per week)

Reading together fiction and non-fiction; special time for just him!

Loop Subjects - 2-3 per day

Chemistry (6th and 3rd)

Critical thinking (games and puzzles)

Science Unit (Penguins for 3rd and K; programming for 6th)

Botany (using Apologia with our co-op - we really just read)

Spanish

Art (Meet the Masters)

Electronics (6th and 3rd with Dad at night)

Poetry

Geography

Hobby

I am usually exhausted by the time we get to the end of the day. I think it has more to do with my kids attitude and lack of motivation (ie I'm constantly dragging everyone to get back to "school") than that we are doing too much, but I thought I'd see what others feel about this schedule.

We've been doing these all school year but just changed to the loop last week. We start with Bible time at breakfast around 7:30 and go from there. We are usually done with together and individual things by lunch around 12:30. After lunch we start our loop. I really want to do 2-3 loop activities each day, but I also really want to be done by 1:30 or 2 each day to allow time for playing outside, crafts, etc. But it's not happening. Like I said, I think it's more to do with my kids than anything else. But I'm wondering if this schedule is comparable to what others are doing for kids these ages? There are other things I would love for us to be doing but honestly I'm just exhausted at the end of the day!

I would be exhausted if I started at 7:30:tongue_smilie: But I'm not an early riser. We do about 9:00-4:30 with about 2 hours for lunch and exercise in the middle of the day. We spend more than the typical amount of time. I might try moving some of your daily or together subjects to the loop, but make them appear more than once so you can get to them more often. Do some of the daily things need to be done daily or can they be done 3-4 times a week instead?

It looks good to me. What do you use for Spanish? Is it something that could be done in your together time daily. I am not sure that once a week is enough for Spanish IMHO. We do German as part of our circle time/morning basket time and that works really well for us. We literally do about 5-10 minutes a day. That daily exposure just keeps things fresh (we do circle time 7 days a week because the kids love it).

I understand about the complaining. I am pretty sure that is normal. Is there any one thing that the kids complain about the most? If so, maybe you could make a change there. You might want to talk to the older kids and see if there is a part of the day that they don't like or if they could suggest a change that they would like.

I was dealing with general complaining until I had a little talk with my son. I told him that we were going to get the things done that I had planned. I always saved his favorite for last (our history and science). Maybe you could have a set time to restart after your lunch break. If the kids cooperate and get things done, they will have a much longer lunch break. Of course, this doesn't mean doing sloppy work! Then you will have time to do your loop items which look like things they would really enjoy. You might set a time limit on that as well (90 min or something).

Honestly, I have been reading a lot of CM material lately because she talks about instilling the habits of attentiveness and obedience. You basically sit down with the children and team up with them to change behavior. This is what our conversation went like (my son is 5):

"Do you think that Mommy yells too much?"

"Yes, maybe you should have a consequence for that." :lol:

"Do you think maybe there is something we could do to make Mommy yell less? What if you did what I told you right away."

"That would make you happy."

"That would definitely help. Then we could get through school more quickly and have lots more time for playtime."

We actually came up for a code word if he wasn't listening or doing as he was told (cheetah) and a code word if I was yelling (graham cracker). It has really worked. He is invested in it and really likes catching me yelling... :D Whenever I say cheetah, he literally comes back to attention. I think it is a gentle reminder of the habit we are forming and it works so much better than nagging. I know your kids are a little older, but sometimes I think that just having a family meeting and going over expectations and letting them help make the plan can make a huge difference. It gives them a voice in it and they feel more ownership of it.

I had decided to try to do a loop schedule bc I feel stressed each day trying to get it all done and some things aren't getting done. None of my kids are easy either. This is only our 2nd year to HS. 6th grader is better than last year about workind independently but all 3 of my kids now whine and complain at least once each day (often more than once) about something they have to do school-wise.

Together stuff

MOH2

Read Aloud

6th grader

MM 6 - daily

IEW writing

Easy Grammar

Assigned reading

3rd grader

RightStart D - daily

Easy Grammar - daily

Assigned Reading - daily

Kindergartner

Chemistry (6th and 3rd)

Spanish

Art (Meet the Masters)

Poetry

Geography

Hobby

I am usually exhausted by the time we get to the end of the day. I think it has more to do with my kids attitude and lack of motivation (ie I'm constantly dragging everyone to get back to "school") than that we are doing too much, but I thought I'd see what others feel about this schedule.

I couldn't do all of that with my kids. I also don't really find combining my kids all that effective in the long run. Unless I have 2 that are functioning on basically the exact same level (which I have had off and on), I find combining more work than teaching separately.

I find it easiest to teach my Kers in one sitting and then they are done. I work with my other kids in a rotating schedule in and out as they finish their work and need to come and discuss/be taught new concepts/etc.

Just looking at your loop exhausts me. FWIW, I also find it easier to do most subjects every day and just into a nice routine.

This is not a loop schedule but here is my 'block schedule' the times are give-or-take 10 minutes. I am using HOD thus the Preparing and Beyond School labels.

From 8:00-12:00:

1. Latin with four older children {30 minutes}
  2. Math with Josh 8th. (30minutes)
  3. Preparing School with Caleb 5th and Brent 4th. Do as much as I can within an hour. This is history, poetry, bible, geography/vocabulary/research. (1hr.)
  4. All About Spelling with Lance 1st (20 minuts)
  5. Beyond School with Ethan 3rd and Lance 1st~history, geography, storytime and Bible (45-60minutes)
  6. Have Ethan read to me (10minutes)
  7. Math with Lance (20-30minutes)

At noon to one o'clock is lunch.

From 1:00-2:00:

1. Rotate All About Spelling. One session with Caleb and Brent, another session with Ethan. I rotate Mon~Caleb and Brent, Tue.~Ethan, Wed.~C&B, Thur.~E, Fri.~C&B. Then next Mon. start with Ethan and so forth. (20 minutes)
  2. Either Shurley English or Rod and Staff English, depending upon the rotation cycle that I mentioned above. (30-40 if Shurley, less if R&S)

Ethan also does New American Cursive (3xweek), Teaching Textbook Math (5xweek), Timez Attack for add. sub. and mult. drill, two pages of Explode the Code (4xweek), and reads from his Bible Reader~using books from Heart of Dakota.

Lance, also does New American Cursive, Timez Attack for drilling add. and sub., and Math for a Living Education from Queen Homeschool Supplies.

I am teaching 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th. I get one child going and move to the next.

I stand at a whiteboard and call a child to the 'hot seat'. I have all my teacher manuals in a bookshelf next to me, so I don't have to leave my little teaching area ;)

My 8th grader scheduled in for a daily math meeting because he really struggles other than that he does most on his own. I help with WWS. My dd 6th grade does a lot on her own as well. Again, I do schedule things in when she neends help. Mostly with math, Analytical Grammar of Writing with Skill.

I try to keep the plates spinning as they say. I stay away from computer during those hours, eat a good breakfast and try to get to bed by 10:30 or 11:00p.m.

Edited by Homeschooling6

Together stuff

MOH2

Read Aloud

6th grader

MM 6 - daily

IEW writing

Easy Grammar

Assigned reading

3rd grader

RightStart D - daily

Easy Grammar - daily

Assigned Reading - daily

Kindergartner

Chemistry (6th and 3rd)

Spanish

Art (Meet the Masters)

Poetry

Geography

Hobby

I do think you are doing too much.

If I were you, I would scale things back to basic academic skills, with lots of content reading (history/science/literature/Bible) after skills-work is done for the day. What I mean by basic academic skills:

- math

- grammar

- spelling (for those who need it)

- printing/handwriting (for those who need it)

- academic writing skills (as opposed to creative/journal/story/poetry writing)

- reading - you reading aloud, kids reading to you, kids reading by themselves

- memory work that you deem important for particular reasons (in history/science/literature)

These basic skills take energy for kids to learn, and time for you to teach (and to learn how to streamline your teaching). Trying to do all those other history programs, science programs, art/electronics/poetry/geography/foreign language/critical thinking programs can be very overwhelming. I wonder if that might be part of the whining and complaining you are hearing from your kids.

However, you *can* put some of the extras in occasionally, after you get the basics in place and into a good routine. Your "history program" or "science program" could consist of lots of reading, discussing, writing about the reading via your writing skills practice, experimenting, and writing a simple experiment report. You could incorporate geography periodically, to illustrate something they are learning in history. You could rotate a history/science morning with an art morning (history/science for two Fridays, then art on the 3rd; for example). Vocabulary programs could be dropped in favour of absorbing vocabulary from really rich reading.

I would consider these to be hobbies, and intersperse them where you can, or not at all, or just periodically throughout the year, or during family times if the kids want to:

Spanish

Art (Meet the Masters)

With botany and your science unit - I would just make a "science period" each week and do whatever reading/experimenting you want to do for science during this time, instead of worrying about completing a "unit" or a "co-op assignment."

Sometimes the whining and complaining does come from just being kids, but sometimes it does come from them being overwhelmed with bits and pieces of work that don't seem to be cohesive or that take up a lot of the day. It can be difficult to go from one small task to the next for hours on end, esp. as kids get older than early elementary school.

Anyway, I can't see your home and family, but those are the thoughts that come to mind as I read your post. Hope it helps somehow.

P.S. In case you read my signature line and think, "Yeah, right, look at all that stuff she has listed!" - a lot of that stuff is interspersed - not all is done every day or every week, and some of it we are doing a very "bad" job with - and recently I even dropped something from it because we were getting overwhelmed - it is something that will be done next semester in place of something else. I just write it all on there so that people have an idea of where I am coming from when I post.

Edited by Colleen in NS

Those are great suggestions, Colleen. That is how I would approach things as well.

Complaining and frustration should not be par for the course when it comes to homeschooling. Really. Lighting a fire is going to lead to longer term success. (And think about how to build successful fires.....loosely laid layers with small nuggets mixed in amgst the larger pieces. Pack a bunch of materials down tightly and it is much less likely to catch flame.)

(And think about how to build successful fires.....loosely laid layers with small nuggets mixed in amgst the larger pieces. Pack a bunch of materials down tightly and it is much less likely to catch flame.)

Ha! A really outdoorsy girlfriend of mine and I did an overnight camp cabin trip a little over a year ago, and she showed me how to properly make a fire (she had been a Girl Guide) - I was amazed at how much more effective it was, lol! (she also showed me how to spot satellites amongst the stars, and she made me sing harmonies with her while we sat by the fire :D)

Before you change your subjects/schedule, I would focus on the kids' attitudes.

1- I would sit down and discuss the fact that we all have to do things that we don't always feel like doing. Give a little demonstration, having one of your kids ask for lunch or something, where you say "oh, I really don't FEEEEEEEL like it. Yuck - I did this yesterday. Do I HAAAVE to?"

2- I would talk about how attitudes are contagious. One bad one brings everybody else down.

3- I would let them know that you don't always feel like doing school either, but it is your job just like it is their job, and you all owe it to each other to make your best effort to have a good attitude.

4- I would come up with a signal that everyone in your family is encouraged to use when someone's attitude needs to change. In our house, it's the beginning of the "uh oh" - I just interrupt at the very first sign of a complaint with a short "uh" and a raised eyebrow, and they usually giggle and change course.

I posted my loop recently and people commented I was doing too much too, so I know how you might feel right now :)

Here's what we've decided to do, and it's been one week but it's going really well.

Daily: (Begin at 8 am)

__ Reading (45-60 min)

__ Math (45 min) [MM daily, IP/CWP/Math Games Fridays]

__ Latin (30 min)

__ Writing (20 min) [WWE daily, Free Writing Friday]

__ Xtramath.com (10 min)

__ Memory Work (10 min)

__ Piano (10 min)

Finish by 11:30. Have Lunch. 12:00 noon begin Loop.

Monday: Science Afternoon (3-4 hours)

Friday: History Afternoon (3-4 hours)

Tue-Wed-Thurs Loop:

__ Grammar

__ Composer/Artist Studies

__ Spanish

__ Weekly Reader

__ Geography

__ Grammar

__ Spanish

__ Mythology

__ Yoga

I posted my loop recently and people commented I was doing too much too, so I know how you might feel right now :)

Here's what we've decided to do, and it's been one week but it's going really well.

Daily: (Begin at 8 am)

__ Reading (45-60 min)

__ Math (45 min) [MM daily, IP/CWP/Math Games Fridays]

__ Latin (30 min)

__ Writing (20 min) [WWE daily, Free Writing Friday]

__ Xtramath.com (10 min)

__ Memory Work (10 min)

__ Piano (10 min)

Finish by 11:30. Have Lunch. 12:00 noon begin Loop.

Monday: Science Afternoon (3-4 hours)

Friday: History Afternoon (3-4 hours)

Tue-Wed-Thurs Loop:

__ Grammar

__ Composer/Artist Studies

__ Spanish

__ Weekly Reader

__ Daily Editing

__ Geography

__ Grammar

__ Spanish

__ Mythology

__ Yoga

__ Spectrum Science Readings

We didn't get through the loop this week-no yoga :( or Composer Studies, but we'll just do those tomorrow or Monday.

I would consider these to be hobbies, and intersperse them where you can, or not at all, or just periodically throughout the year, or during family times if the kids want to:

Spanish

Art (Meet the Masters)

Science and history are their favorites! The units for science are just reading/crafts. Right now the k and 3rd is penguins. This is pretty laid back. The Chemistry is the favorite of the 6th grader and he LOVES history. Electronics is something fun for them to do with dad that dad requested to do!

I like the code words ideas - graham cracker is hilarious! Need to go away and ponder this!

Spanish is on our loop twice and we listen to our CD for review!

Thanks everyone!

Science and history are their favorites! The units for science are just reading/crafts. Right now the k and 3rd is penguins. This is pretty laid back. The Chemistry is the favorite of the 6th grader and he LOVES history.

Yes, science and history ARE fun to study - I was just saying that you might want to consider dropping someone else's formal program, and make your own simple history/science study routine. Something that would make YOUR life easier.

Electronics is something fun for them to do with dad that dad requested to do!

I recognized that; that's why I mentioned "family time" as one of the time-slot options. I wasn't advocating dropping it - just showing you ways to think about the various subjects you listed, so that *you* could rearrange some things to make your life easier. And cut down on things your kids could get uptight about. If they know they *must* do math/grammar/writing/spelling/reading, and that all other stuff is icing on the cake, it might be easier for them to tackle their math/grammar/writing/spelling/reading. My son said to me the other day, "Mom, thanks for letting me program so much these days. When I know I have that to look forward to, it motivates me to get my other stuff done more quickly." OK, he's older than yours and articulates things like that these days, but that's an example of why I suggested the things I did.

Does that make sense?

Here's an audio lecture recommendation for you (Homeschooling the Real (Distractable, Impatient, Argumentative, Unenthusiastic, Non-Book-Loving, Inattentive, Poky, Vague) Child):

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/homeschooling-the-real-child.html

Good luck!

It looks good to me. What do you use for Spanish? Is it something that could be done in your together time daily. I am not sure that once a week is enough for Spanish IMHO. We do German as part of our circle time/morning basket time and that works really well for us. We literally do about 5-10 minutes a day. That daily exposure just keeps things fresh (we do circle time 7 days a week because the kids love it).

I understand about the complaining. I am pretty sure that is normal. Is there any one thing that the kids complain about the most? If so, maybe you could make a change there. You might want to talk to the older kids and see if there is a part of the day that they don't like or if they could suggest a change that they would like.

I was dealing with general complaining until I had a little talk with my son. I told him that we were going to get the things done that I had planned. I always saved his favorite for last (our history and science). Maybe you could have a set time to restart after your lunch break. If the kids cooperate and get things done, they will have a much longer lunch break. Of course, this doesn't mean doing sloppy work! Then you will have time to do your loop items which look like things they would really enjoy. You might set a time limit on that as well (90 min or something).

Honestly, I have been reading a lot of CM material lately because she talks about instilling the habits of attentiveness and obedience. You basically sit down with the children and team up with them to change behavior. This is what our conversation went like (my son is 5):

"Do you think that Mommy yells too much?"

"Yes, maybe you should have a consequence for that." :lol:

"Do you think maybe there is something we could do to make Mommy yell less? What if you did what I told you right away."

"That would make you happy."

"That would definitely help. Then we could get through school more quickly and have lots more time for playtime."

We actually came up for a code word if he wasn't listening or doing as he was told (cheetah) and a code word if I was yelling (graham cracker). It has really worked. He is invested in it and really likes catching me yelling... :D Whenever I say cheetah, he literally comes back to attention. I think it is a gentle reminder of the habit we are forming and it works so much better than nagging. I know your kids are a little older, but sometimes I think that just having a family meeting and going over expectations and letting them help make the plan can make a huge difference. It gives them a voice in it and they feel more ownership of it.

I Love that! Might have to try that with my dd!