Menu

Would You Have a Problem with a Health-Related Blog if

Would You Have a Problem with a Health-Related  

1. 1. Would You Have a Problem with a Health-Related

• Yes, any health blog must have a reference.
    • No, health blogs vary. Some might reference and others not.
    • The Usual Other

there were few sources and references, but mainly practical stuff, the sort of things I usually post (dry body brush, eat the right things, take this supplement)? That sort of thing. ;)

Over the years, and I'm talking many, many years, more than I ever spent in college and grad school, I've loved to gather and compile info on all sorts of health-related stuff. My hobby. :D

I've started to work on a blog and put quite a bit of time and effort into it. Now, I'm not so sure if I should do so, merely because I don't have references and it's not a scientific blog. :confused:

I can point people to books, websites, magazines, but given that some things were read, say 15 years ago and I never wrote down the reference, I really am not sure if I feel like having readers constantly asking me for references. Dh really believes that I should do this and to ignore all that. He says, "Don't you have any pride in all that work you put into it?" I know my dc feel the same.

Edited by Negin in Grenada

No. There is a difference between a blog and an academic publication; requesting the level of "backing up" of one's claims typical for the latter is somewhat absurd in the blog context, plus it is an effort that few people would be willing to make - most just want to share what they found to be useful approaches or general tips. Fine by me, people can sort out the information on their own, and in any case they would have to read anything with a grain of salt, so not having an extensive bibliography for each claim is not a problem.

What would be nice, though, is to include a disclaimer (that the information found on this website is not to be taken at a face value without consulting your physician, that your formal credentials are or are not such and such, that the blog does not aim to be extensive nor strictly scientific, whatever you find relevant to say). But even that is optional, in my mind, it goes without saying.

I think you have a lot to offer and it would be a shame if you held yourself back due to not desiring to write fully fledged academic publications in your free time. I say you put what you have, with disclaimers you find necessary, and it WILL be "good enough". :001_smile:

I entirely agree with Ester Maria. Say what you like, with a disclaimer at the bottom of the page.

May I also say that I'm glad you are considering blogging? In my humble opinion, you have much to share and many interested readers, but the mega posts about health can be distracting on the boards. Just a little, teeny bit. Especially when they devolve into arguing.

Also, if you have a search feature and detailed categories on your blog it will be much easier for people to find specific posts than it is here. I went to look up one of your posts one time. It took forever to find it! (I finally did, and thanks again. LOL)

I also agree with Ester Maria. A disclaimer would suffice. You could even post a note up front SAYING that you have not noted all your references over time and do not have the time or inclination to go back and do so now. And *highlight* it...because you KNOW people will ask. LOL!

I read a lot of health-related blogs and prefer to see references. They do add a bit of legitimacy IMO.

However, if someone is providing great information and shares it in a believable way, I'm not going to discount it just because of a lack of references. I'll just do my own research to verify what I've just read.

And yes, definitely provide a disclaimer.

I read both types of health blogs. I'm just as happy with the voice of honest individual experience as a conglomeration of things someone researched. Often happier!

Remember the big to-do about the woman who did statistical analysis on The China Study, and discovered that Campbell's conclusions didn't hold up? Plenty of blogs cite The China Study anyway. I tend to keep that in mind -- just because a writer is referencing a well known study doesn't mean that the conclusions are sound.

Thank you all so much for your very kind words and really helpful advice :grouphug:. Dh is happy that I have decided to go ahead with the blog, even though I was feeling quite discouraged about it yesterday. I've put in lots of time and effort into it so far. I hope to have it set up (with a good disclaimer, thanks to you all :D) soon. Will let you know.

there were few sources and references, but mainly practical stuff, the sort of things I usually post (dry body brush, eat the right things, take this supplement)? That sort of thing. ;)

Over the years, and I'm talking many, many years, more than I ever spent in college and grad school, I've loved to gather and compile info on all sorts of health-related stuff. My hobby. :D

I've started to work on a blog and put quite a bit of time and effort into it. Now, I'm not so sure if I should do so, merely because I don't have references and it's not a scientific blog. :confused:

I can point people to books, websites, magazines, but given that some things were read, say 15 years ago and I never wrote down the reference, I really am not sure if I feel like having readers constantly asking me for references. Dh really believes that I should do this and to ignore all that. He says, "Don't you have any pride in all that work you put into it?" I know my dc feel the same.

I know you from here. I have read enough of your health-related posts to trust your judgment. Of course, I would not blindly follow something JUST because you say so. I would likely not read your references; I would use common sense, and if I had questions, I'd probably search on my own rather than go to a source that would obviously agree with what you posted. But that's getting pretty far out there--if I didn't trust you or agree in general, I'm really not going to put an effort into finding more info to discredit you.

Negin, I'd love if you blogged. I won't quite say that I think of you every time I body brush, but, well, ykwim!

-- just because a writer is referencing a well known study doesn't mean that the conclusions are sound.

I know. Some are so hooked on studies and references. Who funds some of these studies? Oftentimes they're funded by big pharmas, etc.

Thank you all for your very kind words. I hope that I can get it started soon. It's a lot of work to set up initially. I also hope that those who want to read it, benefit and enjoy; and those who don't to, can hopefully stay away. :lol: ;)

Well, I just went and goggled dry brushing after reading this thread. I had never heard of this before. So, I think a health blog would be great with or without the resources, it would get people researching health related products or ideas that they may have never heard of before. :001_smile:

I don't think a health blog needs references. It's a blog and people should know that. But trustworthy health information does have references.

Figuring out your references is a good intellectual exercise. In college, if you don't cite your sources it's called plagiarism and you fail the research paper. The people whose ideas are "borrowed" without attribution get pretty cranky.

In the field of health, providing information carries a level of responsibility. By definition people who look for the information have a serious problem they are trying to solve. If they use bad information and there is a bad result because of a bad decision, do you think the person who advocates and distributes that information has a level of moral responsibility? I kind of do. It's just responsible to provide the best level of information you can, and to direct it back to the original sources so readers can judge the information in context.

I used to trust uncited information. I attempted a home birth with one of my children. I spent months reading a massive Midwife's Archives website, a collection of the best of a midwife's email list. I thought I was doing research. I read the disclaimer on the front page and didn't think too much about where the ideas came from. Midwives there persuasively argued that a woman's body would never grow a baby she couldn't birth. I believed them. During a really long labor in which I tried all of their ideas, we sadly came to the conclusion that my baby was too big for my pelvis and I needed a c-section. Believing the midwife's archives led to a lack of trust between me and my medical providers. Luckily everything turned out okay because I went along, but if my lack of trust had led me to delay the hospital transfer and c-section, results could have been tragic. Ideas have consequences.

With cancer information, the stakes are high. If you are getting cancer treatment, your brain is not up for a major research project of evaluating what information is true and what is not. (I can say that because I was there!) If you are putting a blog out there, you ARE up for a research project. If you really want to serve people who need it, I think it's important to make sure any information you put out there is of the highest quality possible, and that includes references.

• 3 months later...

ROFL, jokes on me: I just read 3 pages of replies without checking on the date. I was formulating in my mind how I was going to respond, since I have read a thing or two posted by you in past and have been very very impressed with your knowledge. THEN I noticed I was reading a 4 month old thread, and you don't need my opinion :lol:

(off to check out the blog and click "follow")....

~coffee~

Negin, I am SO happy you did this! I signed up on your blog. I was wondering though, on your blog you mention the Mediteranian Diet. What about for those who are Iron Deficient? I was wondering if maybe you could add some tips for that???

I always enjoy reading your input. Because I am on prescription meds though, I always need to ask my Dr. or pharmacist if I can take certain supplements. I already take Vitamn C, Iron, Folic Acid(prescription), B2, B12, Vitamin D, plus precriptions for High blood pressure, anxiety, depression(which is also used for my IBS) .

Again, love your blog!

~coffee~

Thank you for your kind words. :grouphug:

Negin, I am SO happy you did this! I signed up on your blog.

Thank you also. :grouphug:

I was wondering though, on your blog you mention the Mediteranian Diet. What about for those who are Iron Deficient? I was wondering if maybe you could add some tips for that???

I'll do my best to look stuff up and post something on it soon hopefully. I'm coming to the realization, or maybe I came to the realization long ago, that there does not seem to be a perfect diet for everyone. Our bodies are different. Some might do best on the Mediterranean approach, others on the low-carb, etc. I myself am not following any specific approach these days, but I do always think of you with the iron deficiency thing.

Thanks so much.

I'd love a quick reference sidebar section...when you get the time and all! :)

I need to keep reminding my dh. He does all that for me. Thanks for the suggestion. :)