Menu

LDS and Sonlight

blondeviolin

I'm thinking about doing the Readers section with my oldest. I'm hoping to work through Readers 2 and Readers 3. Is there anything that I should avoid? I'm mostly concerned with the Beginner's Bible. We obviously believe in the Bible, but I'm concerned about possible interpretive issues.

We've had a few minor doctrinal issues along the way. I would consider subbing something else in for the Beginner's Bible; perhaps the readers from the Distribution Center?

The rest of 2 is fine.

We chose not to read the book _A Question of Yams_ (level 3). YMMV, but I'd pre-read it first for sure.

Thanks! I wonder if the Bible Reader would work for it...I'm not opposed to skipping the Beginner's Bible completely either. I noticed A Question of Yams and I'm pretty sure we'd skip that one too.

We're LDS and we did core 3 (2007-8) and core 4 (2008-9). My biggest issues were in the IG. Thus, no big deal, I can choose to read or not read John Holzmann pontificating on the subject at hand and my kids don't have to deal with it. The only book I struggled with was Incas, Aztecs, and Mayans where Holzmann's ramblings were sidebars in the book itself. (He compared ancient human sacrifice to modern day abortion. Yes, thanks for bringing up that subject with my elementary aged kids:001_huh:). We skipped the missionary stories and we did our own Bible/scripture study. I never used any of their material for scripture study, for obvious reasons.

HTH:D

We chose not to read the book _A Question of Yams_ (level 3).

I just looked up the description on Amazon and it doesn't sound too preachy...just a story of someone trusting God to provide for them. Just wondering what turned you off to it...

I did notice it's rated on Amazon for grade 4 and up, though.

Thanks!

Nikki

I didn't want to talk with my children (7 and 8 at the time) about how in some cultures people plant their crops in the name of pagan gods. For some children, they are able to take away from the story "we should do everything in the name of Christ". My children's brains don't work that way....it's better if we just talk about what we believe in the early years, and cover differing belief systems when they have a bit more knowledge, understanding, and tolerance.

We've used Sonlight for several years (Cores A-C/K-2) and have found very few issues. Most conflicts are in the instructor's guide, so they are a non-issue. We've been buying the cores (history, read-alouds, readers) and have found that there are usually just 2-3 bks each year that need to be tossed. I forget which level Beg.Bible is in (maybe level 1 rdrs), but we deliberately bought a level higher to avoid it.

I think it's funny that A Question of Yams would be mentioned, because so far that's the only "Christian" book we haven't felt the need to toss.

We have done World history (2/B) and are doing World History part 2 (3/c.)

We did read A Question of Yams. But I am comfortable talking to my kids about other Christian faiths. I preread it in an afternoon and didn't see a reason to avoid it. There was a story I want to say, John Mueller which I didn't read.

We read Missionary Stories with the Miller's but ymmv. I passed along Leading Little ones to God and Windows on the World to my friend. I didn't replace Leading Little ones to God and Windows on the World was replaced by one recommended on the secular list very similar without the bent toward praying for them and no reference to us belonging to a cult in the index. :001_smile:

The readers though have been great for my oldest child he loves reading them and it is now his favorite subject. You could replace the begining bible with the picture readers from distribution.

• 11 months later...

You know what I would love to see?

An LDS supplement to the IG for Sonlight!!!

Hey, we are all mothers in Zion, right? We are able and capable of doing just that very thing. I bet if some of us got together and really worked through the Cores for history, we could come up with a pretty impressive supplement that would meet the demands of the LDS homeschooling community here on SL. :-D

Anyone interested? ;)

I'm not LDS, but wanted to recommend replacements on a few books. I am considering skipping many of the missionary style books myself.

We're LDS and we did core 3 (2007-8) and core 4 (2008-9). My biggest issues were in the IG. Thus, no big deal, I can choose to read or not read John Holzmann pontificating on the subject at hand and my kids don't have to deal with it. The only book I struggled with was Incas, Aztecs, and Mayans where Holzmann's ramblings were sidebars in the book itself. (He compared ancient human sacrifice to modern day abortion. Yes, thanks for bringing up that subject with my elementary aged kids:001_huh:). We skipped the missionary stories and we did our own Bible/scripture study. I never used any of their material for scripture study, for obvious reasons. HTH:D

Regarding the Incas, Aztecs, and Mayans (which we haven't read), I'm considering replacing it with a series of books by Jane Shuter. She does a fantastic job with condensing the material, yet not dumbing it down. She has one on every single one of these people groups if I'm not mistaken.

I just looked up the description on Amazon and it doesn't sound too preachy...just a story of someone trusting God to provide for them. Just wondering what turned you off to it... I did notice it's rated on Amazon for grade 4 and up, though. Thanks! Nikki

A Question of Yams is scheduled in the 3rd grade SL readers, and it seemed very easy for both of my girls in 3rd grade, so you should be okay there, if you decide to use it.

Anyhow, that's all. I can't comment on anything else. :)

We did A Question of Yams as a read aloud. It was not scheduled as an independent reader when we used that Core. I recall it as being very ecumenical and touching for those with a belief in God. It would not be useful for secular homeschoolers, obviously. I am a protestant Christian, and I found Leading Little Ones to God to be...hmmm, what is the right way to say this...ummmm, too "heavy" or something. My memory of it is vague, but I put it away after having to edit so much out while reading aloud. For me, it was too sin-based and not grace-based enough - again, going from a fading memory and only from my own perspective. My oldest son's favorite book of that year was Missionary Stories with the Millers. Again, YMMV.

My Dd6 has been working through the Readers 2 & 3 over this year. She has really enjoyed all of them thus far. We skipped the Beginner's Bible (I didn't even bother purchasing it) because we are working through the Illustrated Scripture Stories from the Distribution Center along with our history this year. I did end up adding in a couple of extra Nate the Great and Amelia Bedelia books becuase she enjoyed them so much. We haven't worked through all of the level 3 readers yet but looking ahead I don't see any issues with any of the books. The only one that I would recommend pre-reading, like others have mentioned, is A Question of Yams. I am leaning toward not using that book, just because of a couple areas that I don't want to have to explain to my Dd quite yet (I don't remember any specifics as I read through it about 4-5 months ago). Other than the couple I mentioned she has loved all of the selections thus far.

ETA: The only books we are really working through are the readers, I am not sure about any issues with Read-Alouds or the History books.

• 2 months later...

You know what I would love to see?

An LDS supplement to the IG for Sonlight!!!

Hey, we are all mothers in Zion, right? We are able and capable of doing just that very thing. I bet if some of us got together and really worked through the Cores for history, we could come up with a pretty impressive supplement that would meet the demands of the LDS homeschooling community here on SL. :-D

Anyone interested? ;)

Whatdya say? :)

We have used a ton of the books in the first three cores but not the IG although I am seriously thinking about it for next year. I never got the beginners bible but did buy the Family bible in pictures...it's lovely and great for little kids. No real clashes with our beliefs and if there is its usually just a sentence that I just skip reading.

New toes for Tia was a bit too much for my kids so I put it away for when they are older.

I just plan to skip most of the missionary books.

• 1 year later...

Iknwo this thread is old and cold, but I'm just in the process of considering doing Sonlight for next year and, 'Pemberly', I'd LOVE to work on an LDS supplement for SL!!!  I'n trying to figure out how to make this work for us.  We've used MFW but found it pretty hard to adapt to an LDS perspective.  I had to eliminate so much it didn't seem worth it.  I'm hoping Sonlight will be easier.

• 3 weeks later...

Late to the party here. I use Sonlight and we read most everything, except the Bible stuff. I think it was the beginner bible reader (is that one green?) that one son read. I thought it was fine. We read the missionary stories and liked some of them, but most of them seem to drag on too much for me so this year we are skipping.

I love the looks of Bookshark, especially since the IG doesn't include LA or Bible, which we don't use and which makes it visually cluttered. I may order one more core from Sonlight to get Heirloom status because I find the forums very helpful, but I'm thinking of ordering Core F for my older son and I like the Bookshark version better.