Menu

Another Spelling Power question: what spelling games did you like?

kalanamak

• 1 month later...

Well, a little while after I bought SP and the box, I saw a thread here asking whether the box was worth purchasing. The general consensus was no. I have put the dividers in according to the instructions and that is as much use as I've gotten out of my box so far. I think I use SP wrong too. Someone wrote out how you're supposed to use it on a recent thread and I so do not use it like that. I give DC a new group of words every day (is it supposed to be every week...I think maybe yes :lol:, but spelling is a favorite subject here). They write sentences with the words (extra points for using more than one word in each sentence). So, I guess SP is kind of spelling and vocabulary here.

I'm :bigear: about the box. :tongue_smilie:

We didn't get the box. I have typically been skipping the part where you are supposed to do some kind of activity. I did read the descriptions of some of the games in the back of the book this week. Some are busywork, in my opinion. Some are good. I used one of the ideas for reviewing plurals to work on that this week as ds has been struggling with remembering the rules for when to add s and when to add es. I think that's how I'll probably use it, if there is something I see him consistently having trouble with I'll look for ideas to review that topic. Otherwise, we've just been using the book without the games/activities.

For a game that is sort of a spelling game we've been playing Bananagrams some together.

We didn't get the box. I have typically been skipping the part where you are supposed to do some kind of activity. I did read the descriptions of some of the games in the back of the book this week. Some are busywork, in my opinion. Some are good. I used one of the ideas for reviewing plurals to work on that this week as ds has been struggling with remembering the rules for when to add s and when to add es. I think that's how I'll probably use it, if there is something I see him consistently having trouble with I'll look for ideas to review that topic. Otherwise, we've just been using the book without the games/activities.

:iagree: If you aren't having a problem I wouldn't stress about it. If you start to have some kind of issue then it is probably time to review your implementation and look at "reinforcing spelling skills".

:iagree: If you aren't having a problem I wouldn't stress about it. If you start to have some kind of issue then it is probably time to review your implementation and look at "reinforcing spelling skills".

I read that the games weren't worth it, and kiddo didn't like the Right Start Math games, so I skipped.

I sound like the ad from the 60s "I'm cuckoo for cocoa-puffs" when I think of SP. I looooooooooooooove it. We have the SWR sound cards memorized, and I have the rules cards memorized. I (and my son) have gotten word attack skills that just "fit" us. It is one single book, and the notebooks are inexpensive and have nice check boxes. I find PLENTY to do in 15 mintues, and after I've dictated the words, the errors are copied, and each missed word "put through the wringer", if I have time left, we do etymology, homonyms, or I get up to the board and reinforce that group's sound.

If I think I'm going to have a "block" about a certain set of words, I go to ABCs and All Their Tricks for ideas.

NB: my son cried the first 5 sessions. He thought it a huge, overwhelming punishment to go through the steps of the missed words. However, he caught on he was getting the RIGHT the next time and now he has the routine down pat.

I think I use SP wrong too. Someone wrote out how you're supposed to use it on a recent thread and I so do not use it like that. I give DC a new group of words every day (is it supposed to be every week...I think maybe yes :lol:, but spelling is a favorite subject here).

Every WEEK? I read the book twice and missed that. I dictate words for 5 minutes (if he gets 5 wrong, I stop there), then we move over to doing the steps on the missed words, which takes 0-10 minutes (usually less than 8), and then I reinforce, do sentences, discuss homonyms, write a list of examples on the board, review rules for another 5. I could SWEAR she said to dictate new words for 5 minutes a session. For us, on level D, this is half the words in a group. So, new group every other day.

Every WEEK? I read the book twice and missed that. I dictate words for 5 minutes (if he gets 5 wrong, I stop there), then we move over to doing the steps on the missed words, which takes 0-10 minutes (usually less than 8), and then I reinforce, do sentences, discuss homonyms, write a list of examples on the board, review rules for another 5. I could SWEAR she said to dictate new words for 5 minutes a session. For us, on level D, this is half the words in a group. So, new group every other day.

Oh, so maybe no? :lol: I apparently felt so liberated quitting AAS that I went into SP willy-nilly. Oh well. It's working well here. We do a new group every day. :D DD and DS9 both love spelling and DS9 loves that I'm not explicitly teaching him like I was with AAS. Yet again I rediscover that the best way to "teach" DS9 is to just stand back and let him impress me with how much he can figure out without being taught anything. God forbid. :001_rolleyes: