Menu

It's me again....questions about spelling

cam112198

Do you think something like Rod and Staff for spelling or Megawords is as good as AAS for a 4th grader?

I love AAS, but it's not getting done. I've tried Rod and Staff, but I just don't like it as much.....but it does get done. I've ordered Megawords to take a look at it.

What do you think?

What about HTTS? It's similar to AAS, except there is a workbook component available... and no tiles involved. Maybe a good compromise?

I've heard good things about Megawords also.

R&S Spelling is decent, but it's not at all like AAS really.

Thanks, Boscopup!! I have heard of HTTS. Is it very teacher intensive?

Have you thought about scheduling AAS differently? I know they typically recommend doing 4-5 session a week. We just do 2 sessions of about 30 minutes, which allows us to complete one lesson a week. We alternate spelling with grammar.

I had not thought of that! We do Classical Conversations on Tuesdays, so that pretty much counts for school that day. We do R&S for grammar 4 days a week. I haven't calculated it, but could I just do R&S 3 days a week and finish the book? I guess I need to look at it.

Thanks, Boscopup!! I have heard of HTTS. Is it very teacher intensive?

Less so than AAS. It has workbooks you can use, and then you'd still need to dictate some words and sentences and such. I'm not currently using the workbook, so I just dictate each day at the white board. Still quicker than AAS was for us. Today we did some work with AAS-like tiles for syllabication, so that was more like an AAS lesson, but if you're using the workbook, you'd do the syllabication work in there, which wouldn't require teacher.

Less so than AAS. It has workbooks you can use, and then you'd still need to dictate some words and sentences and such. I'm not currently using the workbook, so I just dictate each day at the white board. Still quicker than AAS was for us. Today we did some work with AAS-like tiles for syllabication, so that was more like an AAS lesson, but if you're using the workbook, you'd do the syllabication work in there, which wouldn't require teacher.

You were so quick to respond!! Thank you! I might have to check it out!