Menu

Curriculum choices for next year...what am I missing?

trlt

My dd will be in "first grade" next year and here is what I have so far:

-Math Mammoth 1A (I also have Singapore 1A but we are trying MM first)

-Lollipop Logic

-Zaner-Bloser Handwriting 1

-OPGTR (continuing from this year)

-ETC

-All About Spelling 1

-Write Source K (I chose this because dd is on the younger side (just turning 5) and hadn't been ready for writing yet but I am rethinking because it looks like something we could go through to finish this year and pick a different writing curriculum for next, thoughts?)

-REAL Science Chemistry

-History-Undecided still

-Art (no clue)

This will be our second year hs'ing. We will be starting our new school year in May. For K we used MBtP and this year I am not going to be using it so I am nervous about choosing curriculum!

It looks good, though ETC seems redundant since you're also doing AAS and OPGTR. I liked Atelier for art at that age because the DVD did the teaching. SOTW is good for history, or Elemental History starts with US history if you feel like you aren't ready to cover ancients yet.

I love first grade!

IIWY, I'd ditch the Write Source materials and just use copywork and narration from science and history. Your child will have plenty of language arts w/o it. Also, ETC does seem redundant, as another poster said.

Have you looked at SOTW? There are writing prompts, art projects, supplemental book recs-- really fun stuff--all neatly packaged in the Activity Guide.

Hope you have a fab year!

I love first grade!

IIWY, I'd ditch the Write Source materials and just use copywork and narration from science and history. Your child will have plenty of language arts w/o it. Also, ETC does seem redundant, as another poster said.

Have you looked at SOTW? There are writing prompts, art projects, supplemental book recs-- really fun stuff--all neatly packaged in the Activity Guide.

Hope you have a fab year!

:iagree: with the bolded. You already have LA covered; so, I really don't see a need for Write Source. My 1st graders (and there have so far been 3 of them) use copywork until they're ready for the writing program we use (happens to be Classical Writing) around 8 or so. We use poems, selections from the content areas (history, science, etc), prayers, etc. I really don't think you need a writing curriculum with younger students. I tend to fall on the less is more side for youngers. If anything stress phonics over other LA as reading is so very important later.

I, too, LOVE K and 1st grade! Have fun with your student!!

We use Artistic Pursuits for art and are really liking it. Aside from putting together the art kit (which you can purchase through them, but I found cheaper to do on my own), I find it to be open and go. There is a little lesson to read and then they are off. I am using it with a K student and a Gr. 3 student and it is working well. I am hoping to find the other books used, however, as I think it's a little pricey.

I know the ETC is redundant but my dd absolutely loves it. She even asks to do it on days that we don't have school (she took her book with her on our Christmas vacation and actually did work in it). She does the books a little behind what she is learning in OPGTR so she gets review.

I had posted about history in another post (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337677). I don't think she is ready for SoTW or I would love to use that. I just am not sure she is ready for it. That is why I am undecided about history. I just worry that SoTW would be a bit intense for her, although I admit I only skimmed through their website so maybe I am way off.

As for Write Source, the K book isn't really a lot of writing. It's very light. I do like the idea of copywork though, I have to think about that.

Artistic Pursuits looks great, it is pricey though.

If you don't mind a little planning yourself, you could use What Your 1st Grader Needs to Know for a guideline for art. I used it for 1st grade music and art. I actually even used the history portion for a co-op history class once, though we were doing SOTW at home too.

For art, we read the selection, and did any suggested projects. I found books at the library on the topics to go along. There is not enough for a whole year, but if you are doing lots of exploring and hands on in other places it works. For music, there were C.D. and video suggestions and songs to learn. I bought a couple of Wee Sings C.Ds. to learn the songs and the library had the rest. And the year we did it for co-op history another mom and I just found video cartoon biographies for each person, coloring sheets and activities online. We did a little timeline that they glued pictures to. The kids learned a lot and enjoyed themselves.

I know the ETC is redundant but my dd absolutely loves it. She even asks to do it on days that we don't have school (she took her book with her on our Christmas vacation and actually did work in it). She does the books a little behind what she is learning in OPGTR so she gets review.

I had posted about history in another post (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337677). I don't think she is ready for SoTW or I would love to use that. I just am not sure she is ready for it. That is why I am undecided about history. I just worry that SoTW would be a bit intense for her, although I admit I only skimmed through their website so maybe I am way off.

As for Write Source, the K book isn't really a lot of writing. It's very light. I do like the idea of copywork though, I have to think about that.

Artistic Pursuits looks great, it is pricey though.

Well, if your dd loves ETC there's certainly no harm in doing it. If you don't think your dd is ready for SOTW then look into Evan-Moore's Geography. There is a set of 3 small books for the K-1st age. My kids enjoyed doing them. Or focus on American tall tales and myths. I've found copywork works great for my kids introducing them to basic grammar (punctuation, spelling, capitalization, etc) without focusing on it. And I didn't have to spend any money, either. :D

As far as history, we are continuing next year what we are doing this year. We are taking a trip around the world, spending 1-2 months on each continent (although we spent a lot longer on North America). We are now doing South America. We do mapwork, read stories from the area, read lots of picture books, learn about animals, do crafts, make recipes from the area, etc. There are a couple of resources you can use if you don't want to do it on your own. Galloping the Globe is great. Also, there is one that a homeschool mom put together that looks really great. I am sure someone can help you with that. If you want info on the books I use, just let me know.

We do read alouds but I haven't picked anything specific for next year. Ideas?

For music we are currently doing Kinderbach and she enjoys it a lot. We also listen to a lot of different music and she informally learns from that.

The only things I can see that are missing are read alouds (which I am sure you are doing) and music. This would be a great time to start an instrument or sing as a family! I love your curricula choices though! I might have to borrow it. :001_smile: