Menu

Has anyone used CLE math in 6th+?

jcmi

I've looking for reviews/feedback from anyone who has used CLE math for several years, especially into middle and high school. I've searched the board a few times, but can't find any!

Thanks!

Jen

mom to ds (13, CP and Asperger's), dd (13), ds (11), and dd (7)

I am using CLE 7 with my DD next year and then plan on moving over to Saxon for Algebra 1 for 8th grade. There are a couple of old threads on the board regarding the scope & sequence of CLE 7 and 8. My understanding is that CLE 7 is equivalent to a pre-algebra program and that CLE 8 is more consumer math. I did buy the CLE 810 light unit because it covers budgeting and how to balance a checkbook, etc and I thought that that would be useful information for my DD.

My ds is just finishing up with CLE 700 and I have Lial's Algebra 1 ready to start. I also have my dd doing the 2nd grade and ds2 is just starting the 500.

I had such a rough start trying to figure out what to use for the kids when we pulled them out of school. CLE has been a blessing to me, easy to teach my dd, the boys pretty much do it on their own except for a question here or there.

I am hoping all the high school levels will be sunrise by the time my younger 2 are ready for them.

• 4 weeks later...
My daughter is finishing up CLE math 8 and will be doing the Sunrise Edition of CLE Algebra 1. The Algebra 1 is not on the website (last time I checked) but if you call they have it. I am very pleased with their program.

They have Algebra 1 through Trig on their site now! It will be interesting to hear feedback on these new courses.

They have Algebra 1 through Trig on their site now! It will be interesting to hear feedback on these new courses.

Only Algebra I has been revised at this point. If you order Algebra I and up from the website, you get the reformatted Alpha Omega versions. These don't have the same characteristics of the Sunrise editions which have become so popular. So if you like the Sunrise editions, you have to look for "Sunrise" in front of the name.

We've used CLE for 5+ years and have used a number of non-Sunrise editions. I don't like their non-Sunrise math at all. The text is very dense and the explanations are not as good IMHO.

Do others skip 800 and move directly into Algebra from 700?

One of my concerns with CLE's sequence is that it adds in this consumer math and an extra year, placing students in Algebra 1 in 9th grade. This sequence can limit a HS students ability to take Calculus before college.

Do others skip 800 and move directly into Algebra from 700?

One of my concerns with CLE's sequence is that it adds in this consumer math and an extra year, placing students in Algebra 1 in 9th grade. This sequence can limit a HS students ability to take Calculus before college.

My dd is in 6th this year doing CLE 600. I plan to have her either do 700 and then algebra or 700 and 800 (possibly accelerated) and then algebra, depending on where she is after 700. I do want my children to learn calculus in high school. I took three semesters of calculus (at community college) in high school and I condensed high school into three years. I took math over the summer as well as during the school year to make it all fit.