Menu

Calling all knitters...how to get started

getting a Nifty Knitter. They are sold in sets for different sized and shaped projects (hats, blankets, scarves). I have never knitted before and got my 8yo daughter going on a hat project which she completed 95% without my help. It is really nice because you don't have to keep count of anything you do. They are at Wal-mart and Michaels.

Knitpicks.com is a nice site for yarn, but for actual needles etc. I'd suggest starting at a hobby/craft store like Michaels or AC Moore. They tend to have the best prices because they carry the very basic basics. If price is no object, then the ebony and rosewood needles are lovely, but plain old aluminum or plastic is much more affordable. I would suggest finding a pattern you like and want to try and then buying just the needles/yarn/supplies you need for that project, that way, if you discover you don't really like to knit, it's not a major investment. Then again, if price is no object... This is a hobby that can be very expensive if you let it!! (by the way, I actually recommend getting your yarn from Michaels/AC Moore at first as well--it's not as luxurious, but much more affordable--but if you love natural fibers and luxurys like cashmere, silk, etc. knitpicks has good prices)

Our library has tons of knitting books. I got a number of them that are written to teach kids how to knit.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

(by the way, I actually recommend getting your yarn from Michaels/AC Moore at first as well--it's not as luxurious, but much more affordable--but if you love natural fibers and luxurys like cashmere, silk, etc. knitpicks has good prices)

Again, just what I was going to say.

Another option is to come over to my house, since I have gobs of needles and piles of yarn. But I think it would be a tough commute from San Diego:001_smile:

It's great.

And there are great video tutorials online. I like these ones.

I went from only being able to knit plain scarves to doing really great stuff like felted bags and lace work hats in the last two years. So much fun! A few of our libraries and bookstores have walk in knitting groups, you could look for those too. Lots of great folks enthusiastic to share their knowledge.

videos and books can be a great help, but I think the best way to learn to knit is to have someone show you the basics. Start asking around, and you will be surprised at how many people know how to knit and are willing to help you get started. Knitters love to get new people hooked! Good luck!

LauraD in MN