Menu

I have a recommendation for high school art appreciation!

My son and I are really enjoying "How to Look at and Understand Great Art" from the Great Courses. The professor is excellent, easy to understand. She uses examples from a variety of styles and time periods. The lectures cover art elements, genres, and quite a bit of art history as well. There's even a demonstration of the different kinds of printing techniques.

Here's a link. It was on sale when we bought it. If you're looking for something for high school art, keep an eye on this for the next time it goes on sale.

Wendi

My son and I are really enjoying "How to Look at and Understand Great Art" from the Great Courses. The professor is excellent, easy to understand. She uses examples from a variety of styles and time periods. The lectures cover art elements, genres, and quite a bit of art history as well. There's even a demonstration of the different kinds of printing techniques.

Here's a link. It was on sale when we bought it. If you're looking for something for high school art, keep an eye on this for the next time it goes on sale.

Wendi

Ooooooo, I looked at that when it was on sale a few weeks ago. If I had funds to put towards TTC purchases right now, I would have bought that one. Also the one (or two?) about music appreciation. I know I would enjoy them. Thanks for mentioning your enjoyment of the art course!

My son and I are really enjoying "How to Look at and Understand Great Art" from the Great Courses.

Wendi

I really like the Teaching Company lectures.

However, for Western art, I cannot more highly recommend the old PBS series "Civilisation" [sic] by Kenneth Clark. I would say it is a must-see for any WTMer. It is expensive to purchase, but our local library has it on dvd.

I really like the Teaching Company lectures.

However, for Western art, I cannot more highly recommend the old PBS series "Civilisation" [sic] by Kenneth Clark. I would say it is a must-see for any WTMer. It is expensive to purchase, but our local library has it on dvd.

Thanks! I just checked, and our library has it, too.

Wendi

We haven't seen "How to Look at and Understand Great Art", but I wanted to put in a plug for the TC course called "World's Greatest Paintings". It was fabulous, both ds & I really enjoyed it.

Brenda

I've been thinking of getting that one next.

Wendi