Menu

How Many Hours a Day?

I realize that this question has probably been asked before, but...

How many hours a day do your kids spend on academics, and of that time, how much of it do you spend teaching/guiding vs. how much they do on their own?

We do about 5 hours a day of which I'm directly involved in about 60%.

We work from 9 - 1, or for that amount of hours total (if we have appointments or other that make us start later than 9).

We work on a loops schedule. What we do not finish by that designated time, we start with the next day.

She does better working independently. She is a visual learner and MUST read things herself in order to understand them and imprint them.

I am only directly involved in science, latin, and logic. Otherwise, if she doesn't understand something, after reading it herself, I help her. More often than not, the auditory component of me explaining something to her makes her far more confused, so I try to guide her within the text or book.

We work from about 8 or 8:30 am until 2 pm (on days when I work-3 afternoons a week) or until 4 pm (on days when I don't work, and we're doing longer History or Science projects). So anywhere from 5 1/2 to 7 hours a day (longer days are mostly due to fun, "non-schooly" projects, though). Younger is present throughout this time, but his formal work is only about 2-4 hours a day.

Edited by Halcyon

14 year old ds, we do about 4.5-6 hours a day, averaging about 5. He does about 30-40% of the work on his own, I'm in the room with him at all times. I just consider it work time and I'm there. I might do an occasional load of laundry or household thing, but mostly I'm in the classroom all day.

It all depends on the age and stage, and how much other stuff mommy has to do that day ;)

We try to work 4 hours per day, 5 days per week, but our mileage varies. Right now my 6 year old is determined to finish her math book today, so she's on her 2nd full hour of it. I gave up and big sis is helping her now. LOL, my attention span just. couldn't. handle. it.

It depends. Id say 4-5 hours for my 10 year old and 2-3 hours for my almost 8 year old.

Oh and i do a couple of things with my daughter before she works independently. My son requires my full attention at all times though. Seriously at all times, lol.

Edited by mytwomonkeys