Menu

roasted brussel sprouts?

Yum! Equal parts sprouts and red potatoes; quarter the sprouts, esp. if they are big, and cut the taters into chunks. Add some onion, and bacon bits or panicella [sp? Italian ham?] [optional, but yummy], and toss with some olive oil. Bake at.... 375? I'll have to check, until everything is yummily browned and softened. :)

ETA: Ok, found it more easily than I thought I'd be able to: the recipe as originally given to me:

Measurements are dependant on how many you are making (sorry I cant be more specific, but I'll try)

Fresh Brussel Sprouts (trimmed and quartered lengthwise)

2-3 peeled potatoes (cut into bite size peices)

1/2 yellow onion (diced)

pancetta (optional.... it was not included in what we had last weekend)

salt and pepper to taste

olive oil (just enough to lightly coat everything)

combine all ingredients in a 13x9 baking dish. Heat oven to 425 and cook until nearly half of the brussle sprouts have browned and they (and the potatoes) are easily peirced with a fork.

Edited by Mama_Rana

I love this recipe:

http://www.marthastewart.com/355776/brussels-sprouts-vinegar-glazed-red-onions

Ingredients

• 1 (about 10-ounce) basket brussels sprouts
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 small red onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Directions

1. Trim outer leaves and stems from brussels sprouts, and discard. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, and add salt. Meanwhile, prepare an ice-water bath. Add brussels sprouts to boiling water, and cook until tender but still bright green, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and plunge into ice-water bath to cool. Drain well, and cut in half.
  2. Heat 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add brussels sprouts, and cook, tossing occasionally, until they are brown and crisp on the edges, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and transfer to a large bowl. Cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
  3. Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon each butter and oil to the same pan over medium-low heat. Add onions, and cook, tossing occasionally, until wilted and transparent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add vinegar (stand back to avoid the fumes), and stir to loosen any brown bits on bottom of pan. Cook until vinegar is reduced and the onions are glazed, about 30 seconds.
  4. Add onions to brussels sprouts, and toss well. Serve immediately.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Mine is very simple.

Preheat the oven to 425F. Cut the stem ends of the sprouts off fresh, and score the stem ends with an "X". Toss with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a little good olive oil. Spread out on a baking sheet, throw in the oven, and allow to cook until they brown slightly. Toss them around once in a while while they are roasting.

My kids even love this recipe :)

1 1⁄2 pounds Brussels sprouts halved (stem and ragged outer leaves removed)*

3 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil divided

3⁄4 teaspoon Kosher salt

1⁄2 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar

1 teaspoon Honey

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. In a large bowl, toss brussels sprouts with 2 tablespoons olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. Transfer the brussels sprouts to baking sheet and roast, stirring occasionally to ensure even browning, until tender and caramelized, about 20 minutes.

3. Place brussels sprouts back in bowl. Add remaining tablespoon olive oil, balsamic vinegar and honey and toss to coat evenly. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, then serve.

*If you have some brussels sprouts that are very large, cut them into quarters. They should all be cut about the same size to ensure even cooking.

Mine is very simple.

Preheat the oven to 425F. Cut the stem ends of the sprouts off fresh, and score the stem ends with an "X". Toss with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a little good olive oil. Spread out on a baking sheet, throw in the oven, and allow to cook until they brown slightly. Toss them around once in a while while they are roasting.

Just curious...what is the "X" thing all about? I have heard this before (though I have never cooked brussel sprouts.

I love this recipe:

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions

1. Trim outer leaves and stems from brussels sprouts, and discard. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, and add salt. Meanwhile, prepare an ice-water bath. Add brussels sprouts to boiling water, and cook until tender but still bright green, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and plunge into ice-water bath to cool. Drain well, and cut in half.

2. Heat 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add brussels sprouts, and cook, tossing occasionally, until they are brown and crisp on the edges, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and transfer to a large bowl. Cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.

3. Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon each butter and oil to the same pan over medium-low heat. Add onions, and cook, tossing occasionally, until wilted and transparent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add vinegar (stand back to avoid the fumes), and stir to loosen any brown bits on bottom of pan. Cook until vinegar is reduced and the onions are glazed, about 30 seconds.

This is almost exactly what I do. My kids actually prefer them raw with olive oil, fresh garlic, salt and pepper. Yum.

Timely thread.......;)

Last month I attended a Christmas Dinner with my Bible Study. We all brought something; my teacher brought roasted veggies.

This was the FIRST time I've ever eate brussel sprouts in any form...:lol:

She doubled the recipe b/c after they have been roasted they shrink.

She included: potatoes, carrots, green and red bell peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, onions, mushrooms, brussel sprouts and I think maybe 1-2 other veggies. If you're interesed I can send you her assortment.

She coated with olive oil and tossed with salt. I added a pinch of pepper and garlic powder. Bake for 1 hour I think turning once or twice.

YUMMY!

eta: these veggies are largely chunked. The brussel sprouts are cut lenghwise. And, of course, wash/rinse your veggies beforehand.

My kids love them roasted. I quarter them, drizzle with olive oil, and season with sea salt. Sometimes I use garlic infused olive oil. Then roast them for 10-15 or so min. I'm curious to see how others eat them. I'd like to try a née Brussels sprouts recipe n

This is how I do them, but in a pan on top of the stove, not in the oven. I cover the pan cook for 5 mins, stir them and cook 5 more minutes.

I love this recipe:

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions

[/quote

Sounds yummy. I love balsamic vinegar

I just roasted some tonight in olive oil and salt and pepper and they were wonderful! They don't deserve the bad rep. Did they get that in the 50s when everyone boiled the living daylights out of every vegetable?

I think I had them boiled the first time years ago and I thought they were horrid. Within the last year, I found the recipe for roasting them with other veggies and now I love them. I roast a whole bunch of veggies for dinner one night and then I use the leftovers in a Frittata. YUM!