Menu

Legit Work at Home businesses?

I desperately need to find a way to do some work from home. I am currently a FT online student for Medical Transcription, but we need me to be doing something now!

Does anyone know of legit work at home options? I would love to do assembling something, jewelry, toys, etc. or maybe something online. I still have young children so parties and a quiet work enviroment is not an option right now unless it is late at night after 9p ET.

Any ideas? Thanks

I have 2 (separate) friends who have started baking at home. One was raised in Germany, by a family of bakers, and is catering to Germans living in the US. The other is doing fabulously beautiful cakes and baked goods.

Wish I could do that! I love to bake!

Here, though, the requirements are too strict. You have to have your work kitchen inspected AND you aren't allowed to use the same kitchen that you cook family meals in :glare:

Not exactly work at home, but if you could work it into your schedule, my DD does mystery shopping. She has done everything from restaurants, oil change, taste testing, etc. She usually gets reimbursed for whatever purchase she made, assuming of course returning it was not part of the mystery shopping, and a little something extra besides. Sunday after chruch we went with her family to a restaurant for lunch. I am not sure but she may have had a specific menu item she was to order. She will withing two weeks be paid back for her meal, plus an additional $15.00 which would more than cover the cost of her DH and sons orders. Recently she was paid a huge amount of money to drive several hours and do an oil change. She has been doing this for a couple of years now and they will actually call her and request she do a particular shop and she now can request more money if it is pretty inconvient for her to do it their time frame.

Baking is definately not an option for me. I like to cook but not at the stage my dc are in it would be too difficult and as other person posted there is alot of red tape to go thru.

Mystery Shopping sounds fun but we are down to one car and it is not reliable. Plus my dh is trying to find second job so I will be without van even longer.

Any other suggestions? I will check other sites out though.

Babysitting. It's honest work.

and also when you list them, could you plz mention salary, hours worked, and any other helpful info?

Mon - Fri 7:30-5:30 for an infant could make around $100 a week. Call a few day cares in your phone book and ask how much they charge so see what the going rate is. Crunchy upper middle class people will pay twice as much to someone who will "wear" their baby and not leave them laying in a play pen. They are impressed with Spanish exposure, wooden toys, and little to no TV time. If you babysit for poorer people you will have trouble collecting your fees. Payment is due Monday, not Friday ;).

I have 2 (separate) friends who have started baking at home. One was raised in Germany, by a family of bakers, and is catering to Germans living in the US. The other is doing fabulously beautiful cakes and baked goods.

I'm watching this thread also. Around here, I would not be allowed to do such a thing without a license, my kitchen inspected, and certain other rules that I would not be able to meet.

Babysitting. It's honest work.

Mon - Fri 7:30-5:30 for an infant could make around $100 a week. Call a few day cares in your phone book and ask how much they charge so see what the going rate is. Crunchy upper middle class people will pay twice as much to someone who will "wear" their baby and not leave them laying in a play pen. They are impressed with Spanish exposure, wooden toys, and little to no TV time. If you babysit for poorer people you will have trouble collecting your fees. Payment is due Monday, not Friday ;).

Unfortunately, in my area if you babysit for more than 10-20 hours a week you must have a license, go through inspections, and tons of paperwork. Not to mention I think it might go against my HOA rules in our subdivision. Also, I don't have the start up capital, but I know the pay is excellent.

Not exactly at home but I make between $20 and $40 an hour cleaning houses. I have one house a day, 3 days a week. (I do bookkeeping another day a week). I'm gone from home 4 hours, including travel time. I like my clients, the work is okay, and the money definitely helps.

Again, this is not an option because I don't have a vehicle on a regular basis and we live 15 miles from town. Also, I can't leave my kids by themselves yet.(legally oldest has to be 12) Thanks for the suggestion. When we do get another vehicle I will be looking into this though. Hopefully, we will get a good tax check so we can buy another car/van.

How does one get into mystery shopping? When I google all I find are sites that want me to pay for their lists of available jobs that I MAY qualify for.

do not pay, ever. :001_smile:

My DD says : MSPA or www.mysteryshop.org

Seriously, this is very legit. Her DH works for a local restaurant chain and they hire one of the companies she works for to do mystery shopping for them. (No, she does not take those jobs.) It isn't all about how clean is the toilet. Often they want to know how their servers are doing. And yes, she has done many that are not related to restaurants. Best Buy is one that comes to mind, but I can't recall what she did for them. She had to become "licensed" somehow to do that one and it required a blood test.

Once you are working for the companies, you scroll thru their website/emails to find things that will work for you. She gets paid about 2 weeks after the job sometimes with a check, and sometimes thru her Paypal account.

do not pay, ever. :001_smile:

My DD says : MSPA or www.mysteryshop.org

Seriously, this is very legit. Her DH works for a local restaurant chain and they hire one of the companies she works for to do mystery shopping for them. (No, she does not take those jobs.) It isn't all about how clean is the toilet. Often they want to know how their servers are doing. And yes, she has done many that are not related to restaurants. Best Buy is one that comes to mind, but I can't recall what she did for them. She had to become "licensed" somehow to do that one and it required a blood test.

Once you are working for the companies, you scroll thru their website/emails to find things that will work for you. She gets paid about 2 weeks after the job sometimes with a check, and sometimes thru her Paypal account.

Thanks! I will check them out. :)