Menu

Venison newbie... help!

I substitute vension for ground beef all the time. I don't alter the original recipe EXCEPT when browning the meat. Venison is VERY lean. You will get almost NO fat like you do with hamburger when you brown it, so you'll want to add a tbsp or so of oil into your pan before you start browning.

(Keep this in mind if you're making patties, too. Venison makes great hamburgers if you mix it with a little ground pork or even ground pork fat. Otherwise, it tends to be very dry. I save the fat trimmings from pork roasts for just this reason.)

IME, venison also tends to contain more water, so it takes longer to really brown it. I think the flavor and texture is better if I cook it until all the water is gone, not just until the meat is done.

What pp said about browning is absolutely true. If your meat came from a processing plant, they sometimes add fat so you might try browning a piece of it first to see if you need the oil. We primarily ate venison growing up, but mom would sometimes buy hamburger on sale and mix one part cow to three parts deer. (That was when we had years when the deer were extra lean back when dad processed his own deer.)

I substitute vension for ground beef all the time. I don't alter the original recipe EXCEPT when browning the meat. Venison is VERY lean. You will get almost NO fat like you do with hamburger when you brown it, so you'll want to add a tbsp or so of oil into your pan before you start browning.

(Keep this in mind if you're making patties, too. Venison makes great hamburgers if you mix it with a little ground pork or even ground pork fat. Otherwise, it tends to be very dry. I save the fat trimmings from pork roasts for just this reason.)

IME, venison also tends to contain more water, so it takes longer to really brown it. I think the flavor and texture is better if I cook it until all the water is gone, not just until the meat is done.

:iagree:

I just made sloppy joes with elk burger last night. I browned one chopped onion in 1 1/2 pound of burger, added one large can of tomato sauce, salt and pepper, and about 5 tbsp of brown sugar. You can also add diced green pepper and some crushed tomatoes but I didn't have any. It was good.