Menu

Is it normal for a 12 yr old girl to sleep 12 hours per night?

She never was a huge sleeper. Never napped as a toddler, etc.

She is sleeping now 11 1/2-12 hours per night. Goes to bed at 8 (and sometimes is exhausted and asks to go in early at 7:30), and gets up at 7-8 a.m. She is quite physically active in a pretty rigorous sport 3x/wk, and is especially tired and sore after that. (She had her sport last wk Fri and is still a little sore today, which is also kind of alarming.) It has been going on for over a year.

I know it could be hormonal or growing or something. Just wondering if it seems normal, or if anyone else is running into this.

I have three kids. Two don't sleep more than about 9 hours per night.

One can sleep and sleep and sleep. He has been this way since birth. He just loves sleeping. He can easily sleep 12 hours if I let him. He is still in bed this morning!

Dawn

Normal.

Most kids don't get enough sleep and if you let them sleep in they will make up for it. Through college.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/110191.php

Note that it doesn't say the college kids had any problems sleeping for the 10 hours per day. And their moods improved when they got more sleep. :D

Glad to hear she doesn't snore. Twelve hours is outside the normal range for a kid her age, but one of my sisters (now in her mid-20s) is like this too.

If possible, I might do some surveillance for a night or two. Go in around 9pm (or whenever is convenient) and sit and read a book with a book light. Alternatively, you could just pop your head in and listen for a few minutes, several nights in a row. Listen for subtler signs of sleep apnea or another sleep issue. Does she toss and turn? Do you ever hear her breath stop, catch, and then resume, possibly with some movement?

If she seems to sleep peacefully, without a lot of movement, and with deep, even breathing, I wouldn't worry about it.

My daughter is 12 and she is doing this as well. I work 2nd shift so I am not home to see if she is going to bed early. I think it is time I talk to my hubby. She sleeps in till 11 am. I let her sleep in one morning and she slept till 11. I got concerned but then hubby said she didn't go to sleep till 10:30.

Holly

12 hours a night occasionally (once or twice a week at most) is pretty normal. The fact that this seems to be daily for a year concerns me. Has she had a basic physical including blood work done?

Also, I would not expect her to be terribly sore for days from a sport she trains with regularly. A little soreness here and there when she pushes herself harder than usual or tries something new, sure. But even then, kids generally recover from any soreness much more quickly than adults.

I do NOT think what you list is *alarming*, but I do think it's worth investigating. It may be something as simple as needing a good, bio-available iron supplement or something like that. But I'd want it checked out.

She has a physical coming up, so I guess I'll ask then. But otherwise, I'm glad to hear this is somewhat normal!!

jplain-i have slept w/ her before and it is all good-thanks for the suggestion! I know dh is extra tired due to snoring, which we are working on, so I know it can really affect people!

Dd14 can sleep like nothing I've ever seen. Around 11 or 12, she started sleeping much harder and longer. She could easily do 12 hours a night. She's in highschool now, so she doesn't have that option. On school days she gets around 8 or 9. On weekends she will sleep as long as we let her. She has gone 16 hours on a Saturday.