Menu

Remember the neighbors getting the pitbull?

Well, they did get it. It's fairly young, only a few months old. And they leave it alone down there all day long, howling and screeching. :glare: I saw it briefly out in the yard two days ago, and it had been scribbled on with blue markers and was so terrified when I went near it that it couldn't move. Just stood there shaking and peeing on itself. :sad:

I called the landlord about the howling and screeching yesterday, trying to frame it like I was concerned the dog was hurt down there- and I honestly have never heard a dog scream like that before- and he sounded annoyed and said, "Well, did you call her about it?"

Uh, yeah. Because pets that violate the terms of the lease are MY job to deal with. :rolleyes: He did tell me he didn't know about it, that she never asked him, and that yes, it does violate the lease. I suppose now he'll call her and tell her that I told him she got the dog. And then she'll make my life a living hell. *sigh*

I honestly got the impression that he was mad because I was "telling" on her. That's fine, dude. If you don't want to know when people are leaving destructive animals alone in your rental properties all day long, that is fine by me. Just don't get mad at me when she moves out and you have thousands of dollars in damages to fix.

Ugh.

Awwww...... that poor little puppy (and you). :) Can you call any kind of dog warden or animal services and report them? I know by me your dog can't be of any kind of annoyance to a neighbor. Our dog warden will pay the family a visit and if the problem persists they get a fine. Maybe if this woman gets a call from your landlord and gets a visit from the dog warden she'll give the puppy away (hopefully to a better home). Pitbulls are honestly great dogs so I hope it ends up in a loving home sometime soon!

If it continues I'll think about it, but for right now I wash my hands of it. I refuse to do anything else that could potentially put my in this woman's crosshairs. With dd likely having pertussis right now, if I make the woman mad and she starts smoking down there again to get back at me or whatever, dd will probably end up in the hospital. (She seems to be allergic to cig smoke, though we haven't had her tested to find out for sure.)

I just needed to vent, I guess, about all the morons in the world, and the large number of them that seem to end up living next to me. :cursing:

ETA: Also, why do people adopt dogs when they're going to be gone for the majority of the day? Argh. Okay, done now.

Are they leaving it chained up in their yard? Maybe I'm misreading this.

I would call the city. Our city has some kind of law to where dogs can't be chained outside for more than 4 hours (?).

Normally, I wouldn't get into anyone's business, but we have a pit-bull mix. They r e a l l y need to know what they are doing with that breed of dog or they're going to have trouble. Ours is 6 years old and I still don't trust him with certain things (and he's a mix). They need to get a ton of exercise and they need to be around other people and dogs. They also need dog training.

This is sad.

No, it's alone in the house. We live in an up/down duplex. We're the up, they're the down, so I can hear it down there freaking out. She works two full-time jobs, and it's alone most of the time. When I saw it outside, one of her kids had brought it out into the yard for a few minutes. We share a yard, so I've been worried since I found out about it that dd and I are going to end up attacked in the yard when it gets older because these people do not have the time or inclination to train it.

Call the local animal welfare people now! If the dog was scared, written on and peeing itself, it is being abused and needs to be removed immediately. I can't stand people who abuse animals and I would work hard to get that poor thing removed as soon as possible.:mad:

Submissive urination does NOT mean a dog is being abused.

No, it's alone in the house. We live in an up/down duplex. We're the up, they're the down, so I can hear it down there freaking out. She works two full-time jobs, and it's alone most of the time. When I saw it outside, one of her kids had brought it out into the yard for a few minutes. We share a yard, so I've been worried since I found out about it that dd and I are going to end up attacked in the yard when it gets older because these people do not have the time or inclination to train it.

Ah, I see. There's nothing you can do about it if it's in the apartment.

It's crying for attention. Poor puppy.

I don't get people, why get a dog if you aren't going to care for it? That is cruel.

Not to take over your thread, but I feel your pain. Our neighbor (this is an apartment building too-so they have no yard) just got a pitbull puppy for Christmas. I don't understand-they have a 3 year old who is in this dogs face and they are doing nothing about teaching the kid and/or dog respect. the parents are aggressive with the kids, the 4 kids are aggressive with each other-this puppy is going to end up aggressive too. They keep it in the GARAGE at night and I am not sure what they do during the day, but nobody is home on the week days. It isn't fair to the dog and it isn't fair to me or my kids. Their side of the apartment has seperate owners than my side- I don't even know where to begin about finding the owner of the builidng. I can't imagine them being okay with having a pitbull in a place like this. It is frustrating to no end.

I had a pitbull from a puppy and my kids were all over that dog. Pulling her tail, ears, you name it. She was a love (she passed away last year). She was the best dog ever-better than my Dobie, and we loved her something fierce.

We had to give her to my brother, because when we moved, if she was outside-even on a leash, my neighbor would scream (SCREAM) and run in the house. It was a lawsuit waiting to happen. So she went and lived with her boyfriend (my brother) and had the time of her life. He toook her everywhere, and he loved her more than I did, I think. I really hope dogs are in heaven and she's there.

BUT, she never stayed in the garage, and I'm good with training headstrong dogs. My brother, also, was excellent with her, and she was so good, all of his friends got pitbulls because they thought they'd all end up like her.

Anyway, yes, the dog needs someone home with it, training it properly-as ALL dogs do-but please don't write her off because she's a pit.

And yes, sub pee doesn't mean the dog is being abused. My Dobie sub peed for years after we got him (at 18 weeks from a local breeder who owned a grooming store where he was 24/7). It took a lot of beefing up his self esteem to get him to not do that anymore.

Edited by justamouse

If it continues I'll think about it, but for right now I wash my hands of it. I refuse to do anything else that could potentially put my in this woman's crosshairs. With dd likely having pertussis right now, if I make the woman mad and she starts smoking down there again to get back at me or whatever, dd will probably end up in the hospital. (She seems to be allergic to cig smoke, though we haven't had her tested to find out for sure.)

I just needed to vent, I guess, about all the morons in the world, and the large number of them that seem to end up living next to me. :cursing:

ETA: Also, why do people adopt dogs when they're going to be gone for the majority of the day? Argh. Okay, done now.

Mergath, that's absolutely horrible! What a thing to have to deal with. I bet this:

Since the landlord doesn't seem to care, can you move when your lease is up?

Is definitely something you're thinking about a lot these days. :tongue_smilie:

When we first got married, we lived in a tiny apartment, and had downstairs neighbors. Their kids would run around so much that it would shake our apartment. And once I got pregnant with Zee, the smell of the food they cooked, which was some other ethnicity (and therefore foreign to me) would seep up into our apartment and make me nauseous. They were nice people, but it stunk to live there.

And it's awful that your landlord seems more irritated with you than with her! I mean, come on!

Good luck. :grouphug:

I remember your earlier thread about the dog, and am wondering if you'd approached the mom and warned her about the "no dog" rules, as many people suggested.

I'm surprised that your landlord is annoyed with you, because that puppy could be doing some major property damage if he's being left alone all day.

Here is what I would do (no guarantees of course :001_smile:)

I would speak to him in a nice and quiet voice. This may calm him/her and also gets him familiar with you which will be essential if they keep him.

Don't know how much sound travels in your building but the poor thing may be comforted if you start speaking to him and you may not have to listen all day to the whining.

Your landlord's reaction is less than stellar, obviously but I don't know if you can do anything to enforce the rules of the lease if he is too lazy to do it himself.

Our neighbor's dog would come over a lot (a very large dog) when we lived in an unfenced area. I decided not to run into the house but stand my ground and speak softly to him. He ended up coming to me and being very friendly.

I would speak to him in a nice and quiet voice. This may calm him/her and also gets him familiar with you which will be essential if they keep him.

Don't know how much sound travels in your building but the poor thing may be comforted if you start speaking to him and you may not have to listen all day to the whining.

Your landlord's reaction is less than stellar, obviously but I don't know if you can do anything to enforce the rules of the lease if he is too lazy to do it himself.

Our neighbor's dog would come over a lot (a very large dog) when we lived in an unfenced area. I decided not to run into the house but stand my ground and speak softly to him. He ended up coming to me and being very friendly.

I like this idea!!! This dog may become more your dog than theirs!!!

You could even volunteer to watch it in the daytime (kept in the yard)and have it bond with your child! Kill'em with kindness!!

My other idea is less kind, but since you are sharing a yard, there should be something that protects you against having an unwanted dog there (besides the lease)

I would also think that her breaking the lease, allows you to break your lease (legally), even if you do not want to leave, it could be a threat to the landlord.

If it comes up again, you could frame it as your being concerned that having this particular breed on the premises often causes insurance companies to raise their policy rates, which may in turn have an effect on the rent he charges. (ETA, I am not trying to dis the breed, but it is true that certain dog breeds affect changes in policyholder rates. Just sayin'...)

Poor puppy. No critter deserves to be scribbled on. :confused:

Edited by AuntieM

If it comes up again, you could frame it as your being concerned that having this particular breed on the premises often causes insurance companies to raise their policy rates, which may in turn have an effect on the rent he charges. (ETA, I am not trying to dis the breed, but it is true that certain dog breeds affect changes in policyholder rates. Just sayin'...)

Poor puppy. No critter deserves to be scribbled on. :confused:

Some insurance will not just raise rates. Some insurance companies will cancel your policy outright or void it because you permitted a dangerous dog breed on the premises. This landlord is idiotic to ignore this.

There are lists of "dangerous breeds" that different insurance companies have composed and insurance will be VOID on the property if the dog bites someone.

It simply is not worth it, as a landlord.

I agree...if the place is supposedly dog free but isn't then I'd investigate if that makes yr lease null and void. I would bail out of there...vindictive, smoking, abusive woman with a dog who could be used for bad things by her if she is ticked would not be someone I'd be jazzed to have nearby for too long.

Totally OT! Fair warning!

Mergath! Hi! I tried to PM you to bond over being censored, but it said you don't accept PMs. I'd never been specifically blocked before, so I was having a moment :D

I definitely don't have you blocked or anything like that. It must have been during my banned period yesterday. I'd still love to bond, if you want to try again! :001_smile:

Some insurance will not just raise rates. Some insurance companies will cancel your policy outright or void it because you permitted a dangerous dog breed on the premises. This landlord is idiotic to ignore this.

There are lists of "dangerous breeds" that different insurance companies have composed and insurance will be VOID on the property if the dog bites someone.

It simply is not worth it, as a landlord.

I actually mentioned that to him when I was talking to him about it because I remembered people telling me that in the last thread, and he just said, "Oh, that'll never happen." As in, he'd never lose his insurance over it. It's a small town, and I'm guessing he must be friends with the insurance guy or something.

I agree...if the place is supposedly dog free but isn't then I'd investigate if that makes yr lease null and void. I would bail out of there...vindictive, smoking, abusive woman with a dog who could be used for bad things by her if she is ticked would not be someone I'd be jazzed to have nearby for too long.

I'm tempted, believe me. But I really, really love our place. It's cheap, all the utilities are included, and we've lived here since before dd was born. The location (you know, other than "above crazy lady") is perfect- dh can walk to work. I would be very sad to move. If she does start "vengeance smoking" down there, though, we're gone.

And just to let everyone know, I have no problem with dogs in general. I adore dogs. I'd have a pack of them if I could. It's untrained, possibly dangerous dogs with no supervision and that are likely abused that make me nervous. Dh works with this woman's xdh, and apparently she had her kids removed twice for abuse and neglect. And if someone will abuse her own children, she'll definitely abuse her dog.

:iagree: That sounds like a great idea! Maybe even offer to watch it during the day, so that it's use to you and your dc and maybe you could try to train it? :001_smile:

:iagree: That sounds like a great idea! Maybe even offer to watch it during the day, so that it's use to you and your dc and maybe you could try to train it? :001_smile:

Wouldn't it seem sort of hypocritical, though, to complain to the landlord about it one day and have it over to play the next?

It must have been during my banned period yesterday.

What did you do to get banned? (I always wonder when it's someone who isn't known for stirring up trouble!)

I don't want you to tell me if you think it will get you banned all over again, but perhaps someone could hint around a little. :tongue_smilie:

I honestly got the impression that he was mad because I was "telling" on her. That's fine, dude. If you don't want to know when people are leaving destructive animals alone in your rental properties all day long, that is fine by me. Just don't get mad at me when she moves out and you have thousands of dollars in damages to fix.

Ugh.

is he the property owner, or just a hired hand? if he's just a hired hand, go to the property owner.

I actually mentioned that to him when I was talking to him about it because I remembered people telling me that in the last thread, and he just said, "Oh, that'll never happen." As in, he'd never lose his insurance over it. It's a small town, and I'm guessing he must be friends with the insurance guy or something.

it's not up the agent, it would be what is company policy (because it is the *company* that is paying). agents have given bad information to clients before for the sake of a sale and had the company not pay out on a policy because technically, the agent commited fraud by misrepresentation. If the agent tells him he's okay, but the company says no dangerous dogs, the company has no liability because it should be in their policy information - no matter *what* the agent says. (though the agent would be culpable.)

What did you do to get banned? (I always wonder when it's someone who isn't known for stirring up trouble!)

I don't want you to tell me if you think it will get you banned all over again, but perhaps someone could hint around a little. :tongue_smilie:

Some of us got a little, er, frisky on the Girl Scout thread.

It doesn't sound like that dog is being abused.

I know it's annoying to hear it howl, but if it's not

being hit or yelled at or starved or chained outside,

and some silly little girls happened to write on

it with blue marker, it doesn't sound like it is an

abuse situation.

When that puppy gets taken away, then it will be

in trouble. The shelter will have it euthanized and the

puppy will go through having been abandoned, put in

a shelter, and then euthanized.

Just because it is a nuisance doesn't mean they are

abusing it.