Menu

Cancer & Nutrtion

I just want to agree about "the Anti-Cancer" book that Negin mentions. My surgeon recommended the book to me when I was first diagnosed this past summer. It outlines alot of what she's talked about here and I've consulted it many times. it even has some check lists on foods and different types of cancers.

Thank you Negin for all the information.

Please, Please realize that you can not "disease proof" your child.

That just screams out quack and I would avoid any doctor who even writes that as a title. True holistic docs and nutritionist will never use those words.

People trying to market books will, though. I think in these situations one must remember not to judge a book by it's cover. Our own SWB had to include things in her book to please the publisher, or she wouldn't have got her real message out there. Same with these guys, I'll bet. I've read more than one good health book with a ridiculous title, but the title caught my attention which "Moderate Health Book by Knowledgeable Person" wouldn't have.

Rosie

Great information, Negin!

Another big believer in the healing powers of nutrition here. I've been doing a ton of research on nutrition the past few years as well (mainly to help DS, but it has benefited the entire family as we've implemented various changes). We rarely go to the doctor anymore - our "success rate" with treating various ailments with specific foods and supplements has been so much better than taking medicine, antibiotics, etc.

Turmeric -- mixed with black pepper and olive oil? really? why those specific things? I tend to use it with cayenne ...

Don't know why about the turmeric. He explains it in The Anti-Cancer Book. I've read it in a few other places also.

:)

Turmeric is almost totally insoluble in water, but it is completely soluble in fat. Hence, the recommendation to mix it with oil. Black pepper is added to further enhance bioavailability (absorption) of the turmeric. The addition of both (oil and black pepper) make the turmeric much more available and beneficial to the body.

I like to take my turmeric as "turmeric tea" mixed with hot (not boiling) water, a pinch of black pepper and 1 tbsp of organic coconut oil. Tastes "strangely pleasant". :)

Edited by Dandelion

Turmeric is almost totally insoluble in water, but it is completely soluble in fat. Hence, the recommendation to mix it with oil. Black pepper is added to further enhance bioavailability (absorption) of the turmeric. The addition of both (oil and black pepper) make the turmeric much more available and beneficial to the body.

Lol, interesting. I've been using it with cayenne in white sauces up until now.

I don't know about the latter.

About osteoporosis, magnesium is essential. Are you taking magnesium? Magnesium is often found to be even more beneficial than calcium.

Also, calcium. There are different kinds. Some kinds are not as well-absorbed. I can share info on that if you're interested. I have lots and lots of info on osteoporosis. Good reminder for me also, since it runs in my family.

My supplement includes calcium carbonate, magnesium oxide, and Vit D3. My onc knows everything I am on and lets me know if I have to take it a certain time or way to prevent interactions with my chemo. He checks my mag level every time I have bloodwork, because the chemo drug I take depletes it.

I read a lot of your posts and other threads about nutrition. Over the past several years I've gradually changed to a healthier diet, although I have to admit I cheat a lot. :D

Is this the Anti Cancer book you are referring to?

Yes. :)

This is THE best book ever. Full of hope and very practical advice. He has a site also and you can see clips on You Tube. Excellent book particularly for those who are averse to "quackery" ;), written by an M.D., who very sadly recently passed away. He lived far longer than was expected, however.

Will read more replies later.

Someone here just PM'd me about ginger & ovarian cancer.

Here's just one link.

Here's the info I have:

Ginger, thyme, rosemary, mint, basil, parsley, marjoram, oregano, and sage all contain molecules that can slow the progress of cancer cells.

They have been shown to act on a wide variety of tumors by reducing the spread of cancer cells or by provoking their death

Eat them raw or cooked - most methods of cooking do preserve the benefits – at least, the antioxidant properties – of the molecules contained in these substances. Infusions, soups and consommés are the most effective cooking processes; grilling and frying do reduce the benefits slightly, but do not cancel them out completely. Freezing also preserves their antioxidant properties.

Ginger root acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant and has protective effects

It acts against certain cancer cells and helps reduce the creation of new blood vessels

Helps slow tumor growth

Ginger is also great for the liver

Add grated ginger to a vegetable mix while it’s cooking in a wok or frying pan

Or marinate fruits in lime juice and grated ginger

There is no problem combining ginger with green tea as a hot infusion. On the contrary -- it’s a very good idea. An inch or so of ginger is a sufficient quantity for a day, taken as ginger tea; the traditional length of time that the ginger should be infused is 10-15 minutes.

I've read about the benefits of ginger in preventing and possibly treating the early stages of cancer time and time again.

Okay, now for ovarian cancer. I remember when I was in grad school and we took a course in Epidemiology, we read about a study that had been done on nuns and the high prevalence of ovarian cancer amongst them. Turns out that this horrible disease seems to be more common amongst women who don't have children or who have just one or two. :glare: Very, very sad ... Of course, every choice seems to have a consequence. And this is not to say that a woman with lots of children is immune either. Just something I always remember.

This is the only info I have on ovarian cancer. I'm sure the person asking has far more.

SYMPTOMS

Any of the following for more than 13 days:

• Abdominal Pressure or Bloating

• The need to urinate more than usual

• Pelvic discomfort or pain

• Persistent indigestion

• Nausea

• Gas

• Lower Back Pain

• Pain During Sex

• Abdominal pain

• Trouble eating or feeling full quickly

Your annual exam/pap smear will probably not detect ovarian cancer, you must be aware of your body!

Please visit your doctor if you sense that anything is amiss. Here's a link for more info: http://www.ovariancancercenter.org/basics/symptoms.cfm

Celery lowers ovarian cancer risk by 28%. It has a compound that counteracts the cancer-stimulating effect of estrogen on ovarian cells and makes cellular DNA more resistant to damage.

Lypocene helps in possibly preventing ovarian cancer

Tomatoes, guavas, blood oranges, watermelon, pink grapefruits, prickly pears

10-20 mg daily as a supplement

Lypocene is more abundant in processed tomato products, including tomato paste, ketchup, pasta sauce, and tomato soup

Excess fat is the toxic waste site of the human body. Any form of physical activity capable of reducing fat, taking with it its stockpile of contaminants, is a prime method for detoxifying the body.

Physical exercise modifies our hormonal balance. It reduces the excess estrogens that stimulate the growth of cancers (in particular, cancer of the breast, ovary, and uterus)

Exercise also reduces blood sugar levels and the secretion of insulin and IGF, which contribute so dramatically to tissue inflammation and to the growth and spread of tumors

Physical exercise even acts directly on the cytokines responsible for inflammation by lowering their levels in the blood.

Physical exercise, like meditation, has a direct effect on the immune system, seemingly protecting it against the stress of bad news.

Now, since I have not yet had time to read all the replies and will later. Just sharing some other books that are on my never-ending wish list, books I've heard great things about. You are all lucky, since most of you have access to good libraries. :)

The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen

Your Life in Your Hands

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Breast Cancer

You Did What? Saying No to Conventional Cancer Treatment

Herbal Medicine, Healing, and Cancer

The Breast Cancer Prevention Program

Waking the Warrior Goddess

The Edgar Cayce Remedies - not for those who are averse to "quackery" :lol:

Should I Be Tested for Cancer? - again, not for all! ;)

Negin, I don't mean to offend or bring argument to the boards. I know you have worked hard on this information and you feel like you must share it. But if that information is here on the boards unquestioned, and this information contradicts basic physiological facts (which is the case with acid/base stuff--if your system were acidic you would be dead or nearly dead), and if a person who has been newly diagnosed with cancer, confused and having to make a lot of decisions in a short amount of time, believes it, and if that "information" leads to a lack of trust of the oncologist or bad decisions--that information is harmful.

I've been there. Six years ago I was diagnosed with stage IIIC breast cancer. If not for conventional, research-based oncology treatment, I would not be here and I would have had 3 motherless children. So from my point of view, the stakes are high.

And when I was diagnosed, long-time friends who believed in acid-base stuff kindly shared their information with me and offered to get me the alkaline water maker and wheat grass juice and such. I kindly asked her for proof. She sent me a testimonial packet. I said thanks but no thanks. I decided that I trust science. It turned out to be the right decision. She was genuinely worried for me and I appreciated her concern, but it added a lot of confusion and complication at an already confusing and complicated time.

I hope you can understand my point of view.

You are such an interesting person, and one of obvious integrity. It is such a pleasure to know you via this forum. All the best going forward. I know you are tougher than cancer!

Get better soon.

Warmest wishes,

Bill

Wow, thank you for your sweet words, Bill. I don't know that I'm stronger than cancer, but I'm taking some kick-cancer-a$$ medicine that I hope will keep me alive for many years. :001_smile:

Negin, I don't mean to offend or bring argument to the boards. I know you have worked hard on this information and you feel like you must share it. But if that information is here on the boards unquestioned, and this information contradicts basic physiological facts (which is the case with acid/base stuff--if your system were acidic you would be dead or nearly dead), and if a person who has been newly diagnosed with cancer, confused and having to make a lot of decisions in a short amount of time, believes it, and if that "information" leads to a lack of trust of the oncologist or bad decisions--that information is harmful.

I've been there. Six years ago I was diagnosed with stage IIIC breast cancer. If not for conventional, research-based oncology treatment, I would not be here and I would have had 3 motherless children. So from my point of view, the stakes are high.

And when I was diagnosed, long-time friends who believed in acid-base stuff kindly shared their information with me and offered to get me the alkaline water maker and wheat grass juice and such. I kindly asked her for proof. She sent me a testimonial packet. I said thanks but no thanks. I decided that I trust science. It turned out to be the right decision. She was genuinely worried for me and I appreciated her concern, but it added a lot of confusion and complication at an already confusing and complicated time.

Sara, I remember when you were diagnosed. I'm so thankful for modern medicine and I'm glad you're still here! :grouphug:

I just want to agree about "the Anti-Cancer" book that Negin mentions. My surgeon recommended the book to me when I was first diagnosed this past summer. It outlines alot of what she's talked about here and I've consulted it many times. it even has some check lists on foods and different types of cancers.

Karen, hope you're doing okay. :grouphug:

Yes, I love the checklists and practical info he provided in the book. Great book.

I think in these situations one must remember not to judge a book by it's cover. Our own SWB had to include things in her book to please the publisher, or she wouldn't have got her real message out there. Same with these guys, I'll bet. I've read more than one good health book with a ridiculous title, but the title caught my attention which "Moderate Health Book by Knowledgeable Person" wouldn't have.

Rosie, that's funny, "Moderate Health Book by Knowledgeable Person" :lol: :smilielol5: - thanks for my first giggle of the day. If you find that book, I'm ordering!

I like to take my turmeric as "turmeric tea" mixed with hot (not boiling) water, a pinch of black pepper and 1 tbsp of organic coconut oil. Tastes "strangely pleasant". :)

Thanks so much for this. :) I'm going to try that tea.

My supplement includes calcium carbonate, magnesium oxide, and Vit D3.

I read a lot of your posts and other threads about nutrition. Over the past several years I've gradually changed to a healthier diet, although I have to admit I cheat a lot. :D

Yes, you're not the only one who cheats a lot. Yours truly does also.

Calcium Carbonate - not very good.

Magnesium Oxide - not very good either.

Don't know what type of D3 you're taking, but it's probably okay.

I think there is a very big difference not only in the brand but the type of calcium you use.

The major types of calcium are: Carbonate, Citrate and Bone Meal.

1. Calcium carbonate (also found in coral calcium) is the hardest calcium compound for the human body to break down and absorb. You’ll find it in a lot of supplements because it’s inexpensive. The Carbonate (like Tums) is basically like taking chalk board chalk. It may alkalize your body, but it does almost nothing for your bones.

2. Calcium citrate is slightly better than calcium carbonate, since minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used. It is a little bit more bio-available, but still not the best.

3. Bone Meal is the best source for bones and has one of the highest bio-availabilities. Just make sure it's from a clean source, and the animals it came from weren't given hormones or antibiotics. KAL from New Zealand is good and I get it from vitacost or amazon.

4. You can also get an herbal calcium source that is also bio-available and easily absorbed.

Magnesium is a key mineral that many are deficient in.

Anything that is tight, irritable, crampy, and stiff -- whether it is a body part or an even a mood -- is a sign of magnesium deficiency.

Magnesium and many other minerals are best absorbed when they are bound to an acidic carrier such as citrate, aspartate, picolinate, or amino acid chelate. The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, oxide, sulfate, and gluconate. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements). If I see these in a multi, I avoid it.

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

I know you have worked hard on this information and you feel like you must share it.

"must" might be too strong a word. "want" is more like it. :)

One could say, that you feel that you "must" open this thread. "Want" is a better description. If someone sends me a private message and asks for advice/tips, I like to share, sure. But I don't in any way feel that I have to. No one is obligated to read my threads or posts. I love questioning. However, I still feel insulted when someone calls it "quackery". Eating as healthy as possible is not quackery or snake oil. Have you read any of the books I mentioned? Are they quackery also? I hardly think so. Some are written by M.D.s and are basic common-sense. I never thought of having a plant-based diet (which I have difficulty following anyway) is quackery. Oh, I get it, Jell-o and aspartame are not quackery, because the doctor said so. Of course, there are times, post-surgery, etc. - when all one can have is Jell-O and aspartame (although if I'm going to have Jell-o, I'd ask for Cool Whip also). That's understandable. Most of my tips are for prevention.

if your system were acidic you would be dead or nearly dead)

Not true. In that case, my dc, dh and I have been dead countless times. Oh, we must be the cat with many lives. Most of us go through periods where we're acidic. Again, have you read any of the books on pH? Really boils down to common sense. Not much more.

if that "information" leads to a lack of trust of the oncologist or bad decisions--that information is harmful.

If any oncologist says that eating healthy is a bad decision, maybe he's in the wrong profession? Just sayin' ... ;)

I don't think any of the tips I listed goes beyond basic common sense or leads to a lack of trust in oncology. I'm all for oncology and doctors when needed. I love conventional medicine. However, I'm also for prevention and eating as healthy as possible most of the time.

I hope you can understand my point of view also. I understand yours. I would seek conventional medicine also if I were in your situation. I agree with that. However, I also agree with eating healthy to prevent recurrence, as has my friend's mom who tests her pH daily when she was diagnosed with stage 3 or 4 breast cancer more than 20 years ago. That's her way of preventing recurrence and it works for her. I know of people with chronic illness who test pH daily and are doing fabulously. It's sort of like getting on a scale every morning. You get to realize when your body is off-kilter. For the rest of us who are basically healthy, testing pH once a week or every few weeks is fine.

Edited by Negin in Grenada

Like I said in the original post, a healthy diet is wonderful, and no one is arguing with that.

Like I should have said in my reply (but didn't--sorry!), you are right that your post here is just recommending a healthy diet. But the leaders in the acid movement (Robert O. Young) DO recommend forgoing treatment (see Kim Tinkham. Under Young's advice, she did not do conventional cancer treatment, relying on a positive attitude and good diet--and went on Oprah to talk about it. She died about 3 years later.) If you are referring to the ideas of others in the movement, it would be responsible to show where the idea comes from and where you agree and disagree.

(That references your other thread--even though a health blog is a blog and doesn't need sources, sources are still a good thing. I'll post more in the other thread.)

Edited to add: for the info of anyone looking at this thread, Dr. Weil disagrees with the acid/alkali system theory.

Edited by Sara R