Menu

Canned Pumpkin and cake mix alternate?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a healthier alternative for me. I have used this easy recipe:

1 small can pumpkin (1lb can)

1 standard size cake mix (chocolate or spice are the 2 types I have tried)

mix both and then spread in a greased pan and cook according to box directions. It comes out very good and moist. I am looking for an alternative to the cake mix though. I can only kid myself that it is half vegetable for so long!

I am interested in using more whole grain ingredients... has anyone tried this?

Thanks for reading! Any ideas will be appreciated!

:bigear:

LMK

I would look in a cookbook for a cake recipe and then use whole wheat flour instead of white. If you find a recipe for a banana bread, you can substitute pumpkin for bananas in the same amount. Or google pumpkin bread.

We make pumpkin muffins. I found a recipe on-line and then made my own mix. Basically make up the dry ingredients and put them in a jar with instructions on what to add (eggs, butter, pumpkin etc). I froze the right amount of pumpkin for the recipe from our Halloween pumpkin (that was one of those beautiful Cinderella pumpkins too pretty to crave).

I would look in a cookbook for a cake recipe and then use whole wheat flour instead of white. If you find a recipe for a banana bread, you can substitute pumpkin for bananas in the same amount. Or google pumpkin bread.

Silly me never thought of subbing pumpkin for banana. I have a yummy banana bread recipe that might work for the OP. Note--this bread is sweet. I have successfully reduced the sugar to 1.5 c. You could probably reduce it to 1 c but I haven't tried that yet.

2.5 cups whole-wheat flour

2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1 cup unsalted butter, room temp

2 cups sugar

2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 4 large bananas)

4 eggs

1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 2 medium (8.5") loaf pans.

In medium bowl stir together flour, baking soda, salt. In large bowl beat together butter and sugar until blended. Beat in banana, then beat in eggs until completely mixed. Stir in nuts. Add dry ingredients and stir just until blended.

Spread evenly in the 2 pans. Bake until a thin wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55-60 mins. Cool in pans 10 mins before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.