Menu

Classical Astronomy - SO cool!

We have been using Jay Ryan's, Signs & Seasons, this year and wow, what a cool curriculum. My son was out tonight checking out the circumpolar stars and located all of them. I have wanted to use his book ever since he used to come here (the old forum) and discuss writing it. Do any of you remember that?

Anyway, we are doing it in our history/science co-op and we have just been so blessed. We have never been able to afford a telescope or anything fancy to see beyond what we can see with the naked eye so these kind of discoveries have been so neat to make. I feel like I don't have to look up into the sky with that blank look on my face anymore! LOL :lol:

I know a lot of you like to take a gander into space and I thought I would share how much this resource has helped our family. I am quite grateful he got his book off the ground. Anyone else using it?

Thank you for sharing about this! I have been wondering about this book, so it's good to hear good things from someone who's using it!

:001_smile: That is why I shared it. It is just too good not to and I know that sometimes things like this are not pursued because they are not in the normal scope of a school science year. It as been SO worthwhile though. :)

I bought it for dd to use a few years ago, but it never panned out. We got stuck on the first "experiment"--as simple as not being able to pull together putting sticks in the ground to mark the sun to determine exact "north." :glare:

BUT I still have it. Your post is very encouraging to me. Ds will be using MFW next year for 9th grade, and this would be the PERFECT science to go with it. Really, just perfect for our situation!!!

Thank you, thank you!!

I bought it for dd to use a few years ago, but it never panned out. We got stuck on the first "experiment"--as simple as not being able to pull together putting sticks in the ground to mark the sun to determine exact "north." :glare:

BUT I still have it. Your post is very encouraging to me. Ds will be using MFW next year for 9th grade, and this would be the PERFECT science to go with it. Really, just perfect for our situation!!!

Thank you, thank you!!

I am so glad! It has been so encouraging to me. I tell you, there is nothing more encouraging to this homeschool mama than seeing one's child doing something they learned about in school for FUN. :D

• 4 weeks later...
We have been using Jay Ryan's, Signs & Seasons, this year and wow, what a cool curriculum. My son was out tonight checking out the circumpolar stars and located all of them. I have wanted to use his book ever since he used to come here (the old forum) and discuss writing it. Do any of you remember that?

Hi Kate, I still do surf into WTM once in a while, but don't post much (judging from my hive level, or whatever you call it. What am I, a bee larva or something?)

Thanks for the kind words about S&S! FWIW, I always am happy to provide email "tech support" to anyone who is struggling with the course. I get so few takers, maybe a couple a year, so it's not a problem on my end. Who else in homeschooling gives curriculum buyers their money's worth like that? :) thanks again, jay

Hi Kate, I still do surf into WTM once in a while, but don't post much (judging from my hive level, or whatever you call it. What am I, a bee larva or something?)

Thanks for the kind words about S&S! FWIW, I always am happy to provide email "tech support" to anyone who is struggling with the course. I get so few takers, maybe a couple a year, so it's not a problem on my end. Who else in homeschooling gives curriculum buyers their money's worth like that? :) thanks again, jay

Thanks, Jay! We are really enjoying your Celestial Almanack now too! :D You are the best.