Menu

What math to use after you finish Horizons?

SebastianCat

My DS is currently doing Horizons 4 for math, and is doing very well with it (we've used Horizons since Horizons 1). He LOVES the logic, geometry, and higher thinking this year, and it's been a good fit for him.

Since Horizons only goes up through 6th grade, where do we go from there? I realize I'm asking about 2 years ahead, but I'd like to have a general idea of where to head a few years from now.

What math programs for 7th grade & up work well for kids for whom Horizons has been a good fit?

Thanks!

We love Horizons! My dd has used it for 4th to 6th, and from my experience with my older son, who did not do Horizons, I think she will be well prepared for PreAlgebra. Horizons now sells PreAlgebra, but we will probably go to Kinetic Books. My oldest used that for Algebra 1, and we really liked it. It is self-grading which is a huge plus for busy momma!

My son went straight into algebra After Horizons 6, but I chose a program that I didn't like nearly as well as Horizons. We prefer a spiral / incremental approach to math. He completed that Algebra program, with good grades but I wasn't sure how thorough it was. So, I put him in Saxon Algebra - a much better fit. He's now in Saxon Algebra 2 (we use the Art Reed dvds for instruction). If I had it to do over again, we'd either go straight into Saxon Algebra I or Algebra 1/2 (just to slow him down a bit - younger mathy kid).