Menu

Where do you all live that your doors aren't locked?!

Ok, clearly I have never seen the other side of this...

I grew up in Flint, MI. We always, ALWAYS had our doors locked. Come in, lock the door. It's like a reflex.

Now I live in the Detroit suburbs, and it's the same thing. It just isn't even a thought. We always lock the doors behind us, whether wer're coming or going. Always.

Cars too, fwiw.

So, enlighten me here, because I'd really like to believe there's a place where people live that they don't reflexively (yes, I made that up) lock up a door behind them.

:D

I'm not asking you to disclose your address, :tongue_smilie:, but I guess it's just that the idea is SO foreign to me, I *almost* don't believe people actuallly do it. Not lock their doors. Hunh.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

West Michigan--more rural community.

We often lock our doors when we leave but honestly not all the time and sometimes the garage door is open as well.

Friends of mine growing up NEVER EVER EVER locked the door to their house and once when someone did it was an emergency as NO ONE had a key to the house :-)

Northwestern Illinois, in a town of about 25,000. There is crime in our town but not the 'come in while people are home during the day' kind.

My parents just moved from the Atlanta area (where they kept the doors locked ALL the time) to the N Georgia area- and their doors are unlocked during the day.

We used to live on 7acres in the woods. The only (unannounced) visitors were coyotes and bears and they never came in.

Now we live on a peach farm. When I leave the house for hours, I lock it because there are farm workers around everywhere during the months of March until October. Today I took a walk for half an hour and left the doors unlocked. There was nobody nearby. The house cannot be seen from the road.

I should be more careful here though as I don't know the people around me very well.

Well, if I tell you, I might have to start locking my doors... :tongue_smilie:

We live out in the woods on 5 acres. It's a nice area, but it also has somewhat of a reputation for big dogs and big guns, and people who are willing to deploy both as needed. Crime does happen out here, but it's rare and usually very minor.

I've always lived in DFW suburbs. Growing up, we only locked our doors when we left the house, and us kids would play outside in the front yard all the time. Now DH and I live in that same suburb, and we only lock the door when we're all leaving the house or when we're sleeping.

When we lived in a bigger suburb, I locked the door when we were home, especially if I was home alone.

I haven't locked my doors regularly in YEARS. I live in the northern suburbs of Wash.DC. I just moved last week, but the old house was in a secluded area - large lots, on a cul-de-sac and off the major roads. We also had a longish driveway. I only locked the doors at night.

The new house is closer in to DC and more of a traditional neighborhood. Houses are closer together, near major stores and arteries. It's only been a bit over a week so I put it down to habit more than anything. EVERYONE in this neighborhood has a security system. I hate the security system and am trying to figure out how to unplug it from the house (but that's a different problem). Anyway, I'm still not locking doors, but that may change with time.

We used to live in rural Wisconsin.

Not only did we not even know where the house key WAS, I used to leave my car sitting in the driveway.

Unlocked.

With the keys in the ignition.

And my wallet in the car.

I never had trouble.

The only time we did have someone wander in was the neighbour's sorta neglected child who was hungry, came in, cooked herself some hot dogs and left.

We used to live in rural Wisconsin.

Not only did we not even know where the house key WAS, I used to leave my car sitting in the driveway.

Unlocked.

With the keys in the ignition.

And my wallet in the car.

I never had trouble.

The only time we did have someone wander in was the neighbour's sorta neglected child who was hungry, came in, cooked herself some hot dogs and left.

Ok. Like this. I feel like we live on two different planets when you say this. It just totally never would happen here. Ever. E.V.E.R. :tongue_smilie:

I live in a town where my friends even sometimes go on vacation without locking their doors (I wouldn't :).) Two falls ago it took them three months to put a door handle on their new door so for three months they had a hole in their front door.

I reflexively lock the front door when I walk in but our back door remains unlocked except when we go to bed. Cars are hit and miss. :)

I have always lived in Canada. Right now we only lock when home since the door has a problem staying shut if not locked.

When growing up as a kid in Manitoba we were taught to never lock because, a neighbor might need something. So why lock them out? All the houses on the street had only one bathroom so it was considered just fine to go into a neighbors house and use there bathroom if your bathroom was occupied.

When I was a older kid in Ontario sometimes if we were out and it was starting to rain a neighbor would come into your house, pick up a basket, take the clothes off your line and tuck the basket back into your house. We would also find garden food in our fridge since sometimes our neighbors grew to many cucumbers.

Where we lived two years ago we didn't lock. Once I came home from a walk and found the van missing from our driveway. The neighbor next door had a emergency come up and borrowed our van. She did leave a note - so no worries. I was happy that she was able to deal with her emergency with the help of our van.

Rural-ish western Washington state. Doors are unlocked when we are home. We lock them out of habit when we leave and at night, but it's probably not too necessary. There is some crime here, but as DH says, if someone really wants to get in they will find a way in.

We have an alarm system installed on the house (per a local law for new rural constuction), but we don't set it unless we will be gone for several days. Really, it's our two big, LOUD dogs that are probably the best deterrent to your casual no-goodnik, I suspect...

Ok. Like this. I feel like we live on two different planets when you say this. It just totally never would happen here. Ever. E.V.E.R. :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, it took me a long time and several lockouts to get used to living in a semi-crime-prone college town :P

I agree. I am super super paranoid and would never ever ever leave my doors unlocked. I don't always lock the deadbolt when I leave for quick errands but everything is sealed tight when I leave. I don't even like sleeping with windows open

I have always lived in Canada. Right now we only lock when home since the door has a problem staying shut if not locked.

When growing up as a kid in Manitoba we were taught to never lock because, a neighbor might need something. So why lock them out? All the houses on the street had only one bathroom so it was considered just fine to go into a neighbors house and use there bathroom if your bathroom was occupied.

When I was a older kid in Ontario sometimes if we were out and it was starting to rain a neighbor would come into your house, pick up a basket, take the clothes off your line and tuck the basket back into your house. We would also find garden food in our fridge since sometimes our neighbors grew to many cucumbers.

Where we lived two years ago we didn't lock. Once I came home from a walk and found the van missing from our driveway. The neighbor next door had a emergency come up and borrowed our van. She did leave a note - so no worries. I was happy that she was able to deal with her emergency with the help of our van.

That is so so so foreign to me. Not in a bad way but just foreign to me.

I want to live there. :) What a sweet little community.

I grew up in SE WI suburb outside Milwaukee and we rarely locked our house up. My mom didn't have a house key for years and it was never an issue. My dh grew up in north central IA, it's a very small town (the population is less then 2000) and they never lock their doors, even when we were just on vacation in MN with them, they left the house open all the time. My inlaws are very well known as my FIL was one of the favorite Science teachers at the local school. The house is usually always in use, dh has lots of cousins and someone is always stopping in the house for something or other even if it's just to pop in to take a can of pop or use the phone or computer. I think it's like grand central to the family since it's right in the middle of town.

Here in SE VA I don't generally lock the doors during the day but they are all locked up at night.

I grew up in Flint, MI. We always, ALWAYS had our doors locked. Come in, lock the door. It's like a reflex.

Now I live in the Detroit suburbs, and it's the same thing. It just isn't even a thought. We always lock the doors behind us, whether wer're coming or going. Always.

Cars too, fwiw.

So, enlighten me here, because I'd really like to believe there's a place where people live that they don't reflexively (yes, I made that up) lock up a door behind them.

I'm not asking you to disclose your address, :tongue_smilie:, but I guess it's just that the idea is SO foreign to me, I *almost* don't believe people actuallly do it. Not lock their doors. Hunh.

We lock our doors when we leave and when we go to bed at night but not when we're at home during the day. Kids want to play outside and come back in, you know? I want to go get the mail without taking my key. It might sometimes be locked when we're home during the day, but I don't make a point of it.

I live in a small town now, but we did the same when we lived in Minneapolis.

I grew up only locking doors at night - and can remember one time my mom was MAD because she got locked out of the house.

Now I pretty much only lock the door at night and if we are gone. I have been trying to remember to lock the door when we leave during the day. Just last week we accidentally left the front door wide open all day long while we were gone. Opps.

I live in Western Washington. Yes, crime happens here, I am aware of that.

We live in No. California on a culdesac in the 'burbs. I only lock my door at night or when we got out of town. It's unlocked all day, even when we are gone. Probably stupid, as there are occasionally burglaries in the area, but it's just a habit at this point. I hate digging for a key when I get home. Plus, to truly secure the house, I'd have to lock the door downstairs to the garage, the back sliding door, the front sliding door, and the front door. Way too much of a hassle on a daily basis.

I grew up in small-town Kansas. We only locked the doors at night. Now we live in West Michigan and it's kindof a hit-or-miss thing. Dh usually locks out of habit and if he comes home and then leaves while I'm gone and I'm trying to unlock a door while carrying two bags of groceries and a baby.....it's not a pretty discussion when he gets home. (We don't have an attached garage) We do lock at night. I never lock the car, Dh always does. I swear, if he gets in the car and realizes he left his phone or something inside- he locks it while running inside. Crazy man.

Funny thing with us is where we had them locked and where we don't. My old city was the murder capital of Canada and yet I never locked my doors whether we were home or not, daytime/nighttime it didn't matter the door was unlocked. THis house out in a little town I keep them locked all the time. The main reason between the difference was the quality of neighbor. At my old house I was in a side by side duplex, the people on the other side of me were generally outside the vast majority of the day. THe other side of me was the best neighbors ever, a lovely LDS family. The 3 of us watched out for each other, kept an eye on each others homes/yards/cars etc. It was a sense of security and community that I don't have here. I don't know the new guy next door, the people on the otherside come into my yard and steal my raspberries and I live in a town were we are pretty much universally hated. We had gangs and idiots and punks to deal with in the city but you also knew your neighbors would help you out and back you up. Out here it is very closed off, if you were not born and raised here you are not accepted and seen as the enemy. I don't trust people like that and therefore do not trust anyone from this town to stay out of my home

When we lived in rural Pennsylvania we didn't lock our doors often. We lived in a small subdivision and not completely in the middle of nowhere. We knew our neighbors and felt very safe. Nothing ever happened. When we lived about 30miles from Atlanta we left our garage door open and the door to the house unlocked a couple of times for 3-4 days. It was an accident but nobody ever broke in. We had a neighbor call us and then close the door each time. I also left our doggie door open that a person my size could easily crawl through and open the door from the inside. It helped me many times when I was locked out and I'm sure it would have helped a criminal get in if he felt like making the effort.

Now, we live in KY and I would leave my door unlocked if I had a reason to- like if I were expecting someone while I wasn't home and they didn't have a key. I wouldn't do it regularly here, however. I don't feel it is as safe as we were in PA.

Did this come up because of that "should I call cps thread?" Because when the OP wrote that the neighbor came home to find the boy in her house and now locks her door when she leaves, I was like, "duh, she didn't before?????"

When I was a child, my friend's family never locked their door. We lived in the suburbs. They spent the summer at her grandmother's beach house while her dad worked and went down on weekends. He left the house unlocked during the week and then locked it when going away on the weekends. One weekend he came home to a broken back window and a few things missing. He was like, "Why didn't they just come in when the door was unlocked?! Now I have to replace the window!"

I tend to lock my kids in, rather than lock bad guys out. We alarm the doors so we know if a kid is escaping (they haven't tried yet). But, I live in a weird area with everything from mansions to trailer parks buried in the hills. We have a big meth problem and a growing heroin problem. Drug-related theft is my biggest concern. I usually only lock the door to the garage at night, though.

However, as I was typing this, a lady was walking her three dogs down my street, singing "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" as loud as she could. Maybe I have more to worry about than I thought...

Midwest here, fairly rural I do lock them on leaving but not if just going on a walk away from home or to the neighbors. I never lock my car and as a pp said almost always there is my wallet in it and sometimes my keys. My nearest neighbor on 1 side is 1 mi away on the other side is my in-laws and some other houses. Someone would have to park and walk quite far to get to the house without a car and me seeing them. In the front there is National Forest, so no houses and behind me train tracks and a river and no houses for a good distance. It is a crazy thought to me to lock a house while your home.

I live in WV in the outer burbs of a college town.

At the end of a half-mile long dead end road of tidy 2 acre-lot homes. With four noisy indoor dogs.

I think we lock some of the doors when we go out of town. The doors are never locked if we are nearby, in the house during the day, etc.

Bad things can happen anywhere, but I am pretty confident we are low risk. If someone was really determined, they can always break a window. Really, locks are just one deterrent.

I also know that anyone getting in the house would have to kill at least 2 of those dogs before making it to a human, and all 4 would be making a heck of a racket scaring the pants off anyone who tried to get in.

In town, it's a different story. But, we don't live in town. :)

We're in suburban Atlanta. My door is always locked when we're not home, but rarely when we are becuase my kids are always running in and out (except they will be now, considering my weirdo new neighbors and their penchant for walking in uninvited)!

When I grew up my parents never locked the doors. Ever. I don't recall the doors being locked until I was old enough to stay home alone overnight, and then I would lock them. My parents still never lock their doors unless they're going to be gone overnight. They're in rural Missouri. To me, that makes it worse! I envision some crazed serial killer or escaped convict on the loose using my place to hide out.

I do tend to lock my doors, but sometimes overlook it if I'm not sure where my keys are :001_huh: or I'm just driving to the mailbox a mile down the road. I do leave my car unlocked pretty often, even though I shouldn't.

We're in a gated community somewhat in the boonies. Burglaries are kind of common, but usually in empty (vacation) homes. Our cars HAVE been burglarized. :001_unsure:

We live in the middle of nowhere on the MN/SD border. We don't even have a lock on our front door, so we obviously don't lock the door. I also leave the kids in a running van when I shop in town. The kids get left at home at younger ages than most, too.

I live like I did growing up in a small town in NW IL.

After living in San Antonio, this area is heavenly for its safety. We truly have very little crime, and no violent/serious crime.

Small town, population less than 900 and we live 10 miles out of that. Keys are in the ignition, I don't even know where the house keys are.:001_huh: I haven't even put out the effort to find them when we go on vacation. Some of our neighbors do lock up but we haven't for a long time. Even when we didn't live in the country I never locked the doors during the day when I was home.

Growing up we always had large, scary looking dogs. Our door was rarely locked. When I was a teen the last person home would lock the door and turn off the light. My dh was horrified when we were dating and learned how our door was rarely locked. He spent his formative years in Da Bronx. 19 years of marriage later, I have learned to keep the front door locked. However, there is a pretty good chance none of the other doors are locked. But that is ok because I have a big, scary looking dog.

We always lock ours; we're in a busy suburban neighborhood close to a mall, shopping, etc. Plus there are always landscapers and other "strangers" around.

Someone did go into my car in the garage when the garage door was left open by mistake. There wasn't anything to steal. Thank God the door to the house was locked and deadbolted.

Wendi

We lock the doors when we go out. We often have the doors locked when we are in. But we do have a pool and don't take our keys to use it. I also don't lock the door when I go out with the dog, get the mail or the newspaper, throw out trash, put out recycling, throw waste into compost bin, do gardening, or when dh is running in the early morning or when any of my kids are doing yard work or taking the dog on a walk. But that still leaves most of the time when the house is locked. We live in a residential area with houses on half acre lots and not very much traffic.

Cars too, fwiw.

Canada. But when I used to live very close to where you describe living now (northville) we always double and triple locked if possible :001_smile:

Went to high school in Lansing and often left the keys in the ignition and the car on the street. It was never stolen but that was probably just luck. I leave my keys in my ignition now but my car is always in the garage, which has an automatic opener.

My parents are divorced so I lived in So. Cal. and we always locked our doors but my dad lived in the city I live in now and he never locked the doors, even at night. That seemed weird to us kids.

I live out of town in a more suburban area and the only time I lock the front door is at night when we are sleeping. It is unlocked until the last person comes home. They lock up and turn out the porch light. We generally leave the back doors locked but sometimes they get forgotten. Never had a problem.

My husband locks the front door when we are out running errands and it drives everyone else in the family nuts because then we have to open the garage back up and troop back in past the cars through the laundry room door after we have all been stopped short by the locked front door. No one but him ever locks it. It's funny because he grew up here. The same place where my dad never locked doors.

I figure if someone is going to break into my house, my puny lock on the back door isn't going to stop them anyway. There hasn't been a break in or theft here, in our little neighborhood, in more years than I can recall. Of course now that I have told everyone my front door is always open, I am sure they can snoop around the threads and find where I live and I will be robbed (of what I don't know, since we don't have anything valuable). :lol: