Menu

X-post: can a child be gifted/talented in logic...but...

southernm

Can a child be gifted in areas of logic, vocab, critical thinking, and comprehension but not in basic areas like reading and math? DS who is almost 7 has always had a more advanced view of the world and really excels in the areas listed above. He is flying through logic countdown and uses vocabulary that is not typical of a first grader. However, he is an emergent reader who reads way better than he gives himself credit for and seems to think that having to sound out a word equates to failure. In math he does well except when we first started math facts he didn't seem to trust himself to memorize them so computed everything! His fine motor skills are very behind as well. I'm just trying to figure this kid out!

Sometimes gifted kids have LDs that cause them to not excel in certain areas, though your son doesn't sound like he's behind in those areas either. It's not completely unusual for a very bright or gifted kid to read a bit later and then take off. Physical writing skills are very commonly behind, so that's completely normal (my son's narrations are awesome, but he couldn't write them down himself to save his life, especially since he uses words not typically used by 2nd graders, and thus he doesn't know how to spell them, which freaks him out). And the math... sounds like perfectionism? Again, very typical.

I'd suggest hopping over to the Accelerated board, and you might get some good suggestions there. :)

ETA: Just noticed you DID post on the Accelerated board. I usually read that after K-8. So nevermind that suggestion! You're one step ahead of me! :D

I think so. Kids can bloom later with certain skills and I think reading is one of them. Intectual development can be like size in that a kid can start later but end up really intelligent. Plus I think you can be advanced in some areas but not in others. I have always been really good in the areas you mentioned and average in others and had trouble with fine motor skills such as drawing and writing. I still am really good in those areas but have areas where I am not advanced in. I don't remember learning to read but I know I didn't until 1st grade. A kid who has a lot of knowledge and is not advanced in his reading but in an age appropiate place can be a really strong reader once they learn.

My own kids can seem like they aren't getting something then al of a sudden they are doing it reay well. They have areas of strengths and areas where I think they might have trouble. I think there are multiple intellegences and strengths.

Edited by MistyMountain