Menu

I finally have a few real opinions about the Duggars

LibraryLover

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't it be glue-y? I like mac & cheese, so is it possible I would like tater tot Oobleck?

You should try the Duggar recipe and get back to us. :tongue_smilie:

WHAT??!!?? You are rocking my world! Where are these Sonics located??

The one where I had the sweet potato tater tots was in Arkansas (we were visiting MIL).

You should try the Duggar recipe and get back to us. :tongue_smilie:

QUOTE]

Are TT regional? I don't think I've ever seen them here. I might have to go to a different town as well; I've never bought a cream soup before. What if I run into someone I know in the checkout line?

Or worse, what if it results in a whole thread report about the lemming in the checkout line buying certain food just so she can be like Michelle Duggar. That could be harsh and I don't know if I'm up to it.

What should I wear?

ETA: Never mind. My dds just told me the tater tots are in the frozen food section near the frozen french fries (not that I

would know anything abut that). Whew.

Edited by LibraryLover

You can make your own cream soup (flour, chicken stock, cream), but frankly I'm not against that short cut.

Yeah, I agree that can make your own, however it turns it from a quick and easy dinner to more of a production, and I don't want to waste home made on tater tot casserol:lol: sometimes I sub cream of celery soup though:D

I think we all on here balance the short cuts on food that we feel comfortable with and work with our life. My mom is English, so we didn't get a lot of traditional American foods growing up. I discovered them at college or later. I had a friend laugh when I had my first Elephant ear at age 35 (my mom always packed our food for the zoo, movie, any outing) She did ultra healthy food. I got to college, and went crazy:auto: I gained 100 pounds in 4 years.

I try not to do anything in the extreme, yes we have tater tot casserole a couple of times a year, we have a few other things like that, that I consider my hamburger helper meals (they take the same amount of time to prep, but are not hamburger helper which I just don't like) I will get a pack of that about once a year. Spaghettios, ramen etc... I don't want my kids mystified with that type of food. So it shows up sometimes. I have stopped with the kraft as last time I did it, my ds son told me that he preferred my homemade one. (provolone, gouda, blue cheese, liquid smoke, and bacon(whole wheat noodles to)

I did get my son to age 5 without knowing what Macdonalds was. I am lucky I live in Oregon. I had him taste test between the golden arches and burgerville and tell me what he preferred. Bugerville won hands down, and when we do get fast food (3-4 times a year) we go there. Moderation is key.

Wow, I got on a soap box, I will now step down:bigear:

Oh, and I didn't realize that sonic had tater tots (I have never been there) we might just have to try that one day, they opened one near us. Thanks for the heads up.

Tater tots rule!:auto::lol:

Okay, another version of tater tot casserole

saute an onion in some olive oil (it just taste better if you saute it first)

add (fresh) carrots in big chunks, celery, potatoes, and frozen peas

Left over chicken or chicken breasts cooked up and cubed.

Stir in cream of chicken soup (you just can't get away from that part)

and some thyme and pepper. Salt to taste

Either cover with a pie crust or tater tots.

It is quick and easy and nice to have about once or twice in the winter.

Dolphin,

How do you cook this? Do you layer it in a 9x13 pan and bake it at 350 or something? Do you put the tater tots in at the beginning or somewhere near the end?

I am intrigued by the tater tot casserole and would like to try it. I feel that somehow I have failed to partake in an important cultural phenomenon.

By the way, if I replace the "Cream of Crap" soup with the homemade version, I might call this "The (Almost) Guilt-Free Tater Tot Casserole." (My kids probably won't touch it if there is nothing processed in the dish.)

Oh, and I didn't realize that sonic had tater tots (I have never been there) we might just have to try that one day, they opened one near us. Thanks for the heads up.

Not just any tater tots, but deep fried tater tots covered in chili and cheese if you like. I like.

Yes, and they also have Cherry Cream Slushes which are heaven in a cup. You're welcome! :D

I may or may not have stopped by there after my prenatal appointment weigh-in the other day. For some reason, being pregnant is an awesome incentive to eat healthy... except for that unreasonable urge to splurge right after weighing in! :lol:

Sweet potato tots sound yummy. Never seen them at a Sonic, but wonder if I can find a recipe?

:iagree:

I saw part of an episode where the boys were learning to cook. So they head to the freezer and pull out the frozen vegetables and frozen tater tots. Gross.

There's nothing gross about frozen vegetables, unless maybe you buy the kind with a processed chemical "sauce" in the bag. You know what's gross? The produce section of a northern supermarket in January. You can't tell me that limp, pale, sad-looking stuff trucked up from Mexico is healthier or better tasting than something that was frozen eight hours after it was picked in peak season.

Yeah, I agree that can make your own, however it turns it from a quick and easy dinner to more of a production, and I don't want to waste home made on tater tot casserol:lol: sometimes I sub cream of celery soup though:D

I think we all on here balance the short cuts on food that we feel comfortable with and work with our life. My mom is English, so we didn't get a lot of traditional American foods growing up. I discovered them at college or later. I had a friend laugh when I had my first Elephant ear at age 35 (my mom always packed our food for the zoo, movie, any outing) She did ultra healthy food. I got to college, and went crazy:auto: I gained 100 pounds in 4 years.

I try not to do anything in the extreme, yes we have tater tot casserole a couple of times a year, we have a few other things like that, that I consider my hamburger helper meals (they take the same amount of time to prep, but are not hamburger helper which I just don't like) I will get a pack of that about once a year. Spaghettios, ramen etc... I don't want my kids mystified with that type of food. So it shows up sometimes. I have stopped with the kraft as last time I did it, my ds son told me that he preferred my homemade one. (provolone, gouda, blue cheese, liquid smoke, and bacon(whole wheat noodles to)

I did get my son to age 5 without knowing what Macdonalds was. I am lucky I live in Oregon. I had him taste test between the golden arches and burgerville and tell me what he preferred. Bugerville won hands down, and when we do get fast food (3-4 times a year) we go there. Moderation is key.

Wow, I got on a soap box, I will now step down:bigear:

Oh, you must try Sonic! Their drinks are divine! I especially love the Raspberry limeade and Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper!

THAT might be something I'd actually watch! Yeah, who am I kidding? I'll just hear about it secondhand from all of you! :D

LOL I would love to spend time with them. I think those kids are super-cute, and Michelle is so calm. I don't even mind the name JimBob because when I was a little girl I was in love with JohnBoy from the Waltons. (Not that JimBob is as cute as JohnBoy, obviously.)

I think some of the kids would enjoy working in a garden, and I haven't met a little one who didn't want to hold a baby chick. I also don't know any kids who would mind having a personalized water bottle. I would bring a colorful array of permanent markers, stickers and glitter glue so they could do it themselves. And if the producers would fund it, I would order these sets for all of the little kids: http://www.novanatural.com/enamel-cup , and a huge set of white industrial dishes for the adults. http://www.bryanchina.com/Alaska/alaska/alaska.htm

Edited by LibraryLover

LOL I would love to spend time with them. I think those kids are super-cute, and Michelle is so calm. I don't even mind the name JimBob because when I was a little girl I was in love with JohnBoy from the Waltons. (Not that JimBob is as cute as JohnBoy, obviously.)

I think some of the kids would enjoy working in a garden, and I haven't met a little one who didn't want to hold a baby chick. I also don't know any kids who would mind having a personalized water bottle. I would bring a colorful array of permanent markers, stickers and glitter glue so they could do it themselves.

I think my own kids would also like Michelle.

The children are adorable. I, too, had a crush on JohnBoy Walton. It was my favorite show back in the day. Yes, I watched it each week when it originally aired (the movie as well).

With all that land, a garden would be so much fun for the children. Maybe one of the little ones will take charge of it one day. At this time, I am sure all the traveling prevents a lot of things such as gardening and animals. It's understandable.

Don't know why I opened this thread. Looking for something to read while I slurp down my Ramen Noodles. Would love some Tater Tot casserole. And can't imagine why anyone would recommend a woman with 19 children should get farm animals. :confused::confused:

I need to subscribe to a magazine. Sheesh!

The children are adorable. I, too, had a crush on JohnBoy Walton. It was my favorite show back in the day. Yes, I watched it each week when it originally aired (the movie as well).

With all that land, a garden would be so much fun for the children. Maybe one of the little ones will take charge of it one day. At this time, I am sure all the traveling prevents a lot of things such as gardening and animals. It's understandable.

I also edited to add this. lol

Duggartots! :lol:

I think the recommendation of animals is due to the amount of land they have...some of us would love that amount of land...and it's good for children :)

I'd probably be fine with Michelle and most of the kids. But I get this feeling that JimBob and the oldest boy would just rub me the wrong way.

Don't know why I opened this thread. Looking for something to read while I slurp down my Ramen Noodles. Would love some Tater Tot casserole. And can't imagine why anyone would recommend a woman with 19 children should get farm animals. :confused::confused:

Chickens really arent farm animals. They are more like cats. :)

Oh, and for traveling, I think I have watering -the- garden covered. The oldest boy runs a car dealership, so they probably don't travel as much as everyone else. His wife seems bored in the back room. ;)

Or, they could join a CSA. :D Those kids are so freaking cute, and as producer ;), I want to see them eating & picking some cherry tomatoes and leafy greens. It would be extra -adorable to film them doing that. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

I also edited to add this. lol

And if the producers would fund it, I would order these sets for all of the little kids: http://www.novanatural.com/enamel-cup , and a huge set of white industrial resturant -type dishes for eveyone else. http://www.bryanchina.com/Alaska/alaska/alaska.htm

I think my own kids would also like Michelle.

I'm going to have to watch the show closely to determine what type of cups and dishes that they use (when not using paper products). Do they use glass? I prefer glass for every day, but I find myself getting plastic often. We're always breaking something. I broke a glass just a couple days ago. Just everything tastes better in glass. :)

If you have the money to spend $100/ per week per person in your household on food, then more power to you. The family I mentioned did not, but spent anyway, and now they're in dire financial straits. I've always been very frugal and it pains me to see people buying organic when they can't afford it. In my opinion the cheaper stuff in the big box stores is just as healthy.

I come from California, where the cost of living is not cheap, and I fed my family on organic for years. It was never anywhere near that expensive. I can't even imagine what items you would have to buy to spend that much. Like... organic truffles? Pounds of organic saffron? :tongue_smilie:

There's nothing gross about frozen vegetables, unless maybe you buy the kind with a processed chemical "sauce" in the bag. You know what's gross? The produce section of a northern supermarket in January. You can't tell me that limp, pale, sad-looking stuff trucked up from Mexico is healthier or better tasting than something that was frozen eight hours after it was picked in peak season.

:iagree: Exactly. We eat a lot of frozen veggies in the winter because the fresh is so covered with crap to try and keep it good for the transport from other countries up to the frozeness of Alberta. Our little grocery store is worse because it is rural and we have to wait for the food to be transported to the bigger city, then trucked to the little city and then lastly trucked to us. That is 3 separate times of loading up and transporting this supposedly "fresh" produce, It looks ready for the garbage a day after getting it home. I prefer to buy frozen in the winter, and in the summer go to the farmer's market or the bigger city to get it fresh.

I have never understood the frozen veggie hate. They are picked & frozen on the very same day. I freeze my own stuff all the time. I got nothing growing in my garden in January. Dank. We don't all live in tropical climates with a 12 month growing season.

Organic is great if you can find it and afford it. I didn't mention organic in this thread, except to say I don't buy all organic. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

I'm going to have to watch the show closely to determine what type of cups and dishes that they use (when not using paper products). Do they use glass? I prefer glass for every day, but I find myself getting plastic often. We're always breaking something. I broke a glass just a couple days ago. Just everything tastes better in glass. :)

It's true! lol :) And now I have a craving to go watch more Duggar clips. :) I'll let you know what I find. I can't believe this show has been on so long and I am just now catching up.

It was last that I year watched the first season of The Office. That show is awesome. As is 30 Rock. I just did not know. SO behind the TV 8 ball am I. Ditto for How I met Your Mother. I thought it was a brand new program. lol

Edited by LibraryLover

I make my own cream of ------ soup here.

Condensed Cream Soup Base

1 tbsp butter

3 tbsp flour

½ cup any broth

½ cup milk

salt

pepper

Melt butter in saucepan over med-low heat. Stir in flour, a little at a time, until smooth. Remove from heat. Add broth and milk a little at a time, stirring to keep smooth. Return to heat, bring to a boil, stirring constantly until sauce thickens. Add salt and pepper.

add chicken, mushrooms, etc. depending on what you are trying to replicate!

Thanks for the recipe. I've been wanting to try to make my own but haven't had a chance to hunt down a recipe. :hurray:

Dolphin,

How do you cook this? Do you layer it in a 9x13 pan and bake it at 350 or something? Do you put the tater tots in at the beginning or somewhere near the end?

I am intrigued by the tater tot casserole and would like to try it. I feel that somehow I have failed to partake in an important cultural phenomenon.

By the way, if I replace the "Cream of Crap" soup with the homemade version, I might call this "The (Almost) Guilt-Free Tater Tot Casserole." (My kids probably won't touch it if there is nothing processed in the dish.)

The quote is how I make mine. 350 for 20-30 minutes or golden on top. My kids love it and eat it without complaint. I add veggies to pretty much everything and they are used to it. Frozen veggies are tasty and convenient so I use a lot of them.

I have to say, I rolled my eyes at another Duggar hating thread, but this has been highly entertaining and much less nasty than I thought it would be. :001_smile:

The quote is how I make mine. 350 for 20-30 minutes or golden on top. My kids love it and eat it without complaint. I add veggies to pretty much everything and they are used to it. Frozen veggies are tasty and convenient so I use a lot of them.

I have to say, I rolled my eyes at another Duggar hating thread, but this has been highly entertaining and much less nasty than I thought it would be. :001_smile:

The kids are just so cute. The littles dumping lasagna all over the place as they fill their plates; that would drive me nuts, but nobody says a word.

Edited by LibraryLover

I don't hate anyone just because I think their tater tot casserole sounds icky!!! I posted a Brussels sprouts recipe the other day. Several people said they hate Brussels sprouts. I didn't claim they hated me or were judging my use of basalmic vinegar.

While I applaud your use of balsamic vinegar, I must admit that my opinion of you has changed since the brussel sprout thread. I just didn't post my feelings for fear of getting banned.

:lol:

:D Not enjoying 80's Mall Bangs, canned green peas (and I can't find such a clip, dagnabbit), certain kinds of casseroles, or the continuous use of paper plates in a home with a dishwasher that does a load in 45 seconds, does not mean we are haters. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

Has anyone researched "Buddy system for chickens"? I'm not sure if the Maxwells have marketed anything like that yet. :tongue_smilie:

I have 3 kids and owning chickens remains one of those idealogical fantasies I engage in every spring when I walk into Southern States and see that pen of adorable chicks. Then I slap myself in the head and keep walking.

I guess we could hope for positive role models on reality TV shows, but who would watch? Instead we get people from New Jersey, plastic surgery nightmares, wife-swappers, and peole committed to destroying the planet one family at a time. Oh brother!

Bill

I wouldn't consider using real dishes instead of paper being a "positive" role model...or a "negative" one, either. I think the whole environmental-footprint stuff is way overdone.

I have never understood the frozen veggie hate. They are picked & frozen on the very same day. I freeze my own stuff all the time. I got nothing growing in my garden in January. Dank. We don't all live in tropical climates with a 12 month growing season.

Organic is great if you can find it and afford it. I didn't mention organic in this thread, except to say I don't buy all organic. :)

Haha Even if I could afford it they don't sell it in my town. I could go the next town over for a small selection, and an hour away to walmart for a better selection. The store out here also does not carry dairy alternatives, or gluten free stuff, I can barely get regular cold cereal that is not filled with sugar (like it is rare they sell shredded wheat). I asked about why it was all crap in there other than the fact it is a tiny store. Turns out the other stuff never sold. People in my town want almost no veggies, nothing organic, no diary or gluten alternative and no whole wheat cereals and breads (4 kinds of white bread for every 1 small shelf of whole wheat, multigrain etc is a rare find here).

Finally found the health food store in the next town so I can get gluten free stuff when we start that and they carry all the beans, lentils etc that I can not get at the grocery store at all. But for the dairy free stuff, specifically the tofu cheese and almond milk as well as a proper organic produce department I have to drive over an hour away. THat is not possible for everyone to do, and at times negates any minor savings cooking from scratch versus boxed/processed foods due to cost of gas.

:D Not enjoying 80's Mall Bangs, canned green peas (and I can't find sucha clip, dagnabbit), certain kinds of casseroles, or the continuous use of paper plates in a home with a dishwasher that does a load in 45 seconds, does not mean we are haters. ;)

Did you know it's 4 pm and I have not showered. It's too cold. I don't want to get nakked. I might be a bit smelly, but would you hate me for it?

Actually, don't answer that.

I thought she gave up The Claw in favor of more modern bangs? Did I imagine this?

But, didn't she have the whole big hair bangs thing going and then switch to flat bangs? ONE of you knows. Admit it!

As far as the gardening thing, I'm not sure I could keep a straight face while telling a homeschooling mother of 19 that she should plant a garden or generate more dishes to wash. She's more organized than me and I have all of two children :glare:

As far as the gardening thing, I'm not sure I could keep a straight face while telling a homeschooling mother of 19 that she should plant a garden or generate more dishes to wash. She's more organized than me and I have all of two children :glare:

Yeah, she has 19 children, but she also she has far more hands to help with such jobs than any of us with just a few kids or a singleton!

Yeah, she has 19 children, but she also she has far more hands to help with such jobs than any of us with just a few kids or a singleton!
Yes, but then people will complain about her putting those extra hands to work. Not only sibling buddies but vegetable buddies too! The horror!:svengo:

Yes, but then people will complain about her putting those extra hands to work. Not only sibling buddies but vegetable buddies too! The horror!:svengo:

I was thinking they could also grow flowers to sell. How unsettling would it be for some of the older Duggar boys to set up flower kiosks in say...airports?

Edited by LibraryLover

I was thinking they could also grow flowers to sell. How unsettling would it be for some of the older Duggar boys to set up flower kiosks in say...airports?

vegetable buddies :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: