Menu

I finally have a few real opinions about the Duggars

LibraryLover

and their lifestyle. While I've never cared whether they have 1 kid or 19, I do now have some thoughts about other things. They need to put in some raised garden beds. They should stop buying jarred sauce and bagged iceberg lettuce. ;) They should also ditch the paper plates and cups. Did they not put in an industrial washing machine in with that kitchen? They could run it once a day. They should each have their own labled water bottles.

I also think the little ones would enjoy chickens and fetching eggs from nest boxes.

I hope you're all happy now. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: I so agree! They have land that I have to admit to envying. Shoot, if it were me, I'd have chickens, sheep, goats, a couple of horses, and a garden. Anything that would get the kids outside more! I think she should trade places with me...she can squeeze her family into my ghetto rowhouse and I'll take over the family farm ;)

and their lifestyle. Having never cared whether they have 1 kid or 19, I do now have some thoughts. They need to put in some raised garden beds. They should stop buying jarred sauce and bagged iceberg lettuce. ;) They should also ditch the paper plates and cups. Did they not put in an industrial washing machine in with that kitchen? They could run it once a day. They should each have their own labled water bottles.

I also think the little ones would enjoy chickens and fetching eggs from nest boxes.

I hope you're all happy, now. ;)

YES!!!

Guest submarines
:lol: I so agree! They have land that I have to admit to envying. Shoot, if it were me, I'd have chickens, sheep, goats, a couple of horses, and a garden. Anything that would get the kids outside more! I think she should trade places with me...she can squeeze her family into my ghetto rowhouse and I'll take over the family farm ;)

Don't be surprised if a producer PMs you with an invitation to something like Swap with the Duggars! :tongue_smilie:

That dishwasher does a load of dishes in 45 seconds! They could do 100 loads a day and still only spend 45 minutes doing dishes!

Exactly! They have 2 fancy dishwashers, why the heck are they using paper plates?

Their food is what bother me the most...tater tot casserole...grumblegrumble.

These are things that have annoyed me about it all along. And the soda machine in the kitchen? :eek: To swill down the tater tot casserole I guess...

astrid

She did an interview and said that they soda machine isn't working any longer. They found out quickly that it wasn't a good idea.

I do agree about the gardening and animals. I'm surprised that they don't. It could be because of all the traveling that they do. If it was me I would in a heartbeat.

I would have a large garden because that has been something I have always wanted. Just think of all the fruit and veggies that could be frozen and canned as well as eaten fresh. All that land would make for a wonderful garden and maybe a small orchard! And I would have chickens, and may be a dairy cow or goat, and a head or two of cattle for meat.

I suppose that it is not practical with all their travels, so maybe that is why they don't garden and have food animals. Someone would need to take care of it all when they travel.

Or maybe their weather is not conducive to vegetable gardens? I don't live in Arkansas, so I don't know.

Some people are better at raising children than gardens. Ask me how I know. :tongue_smilie:

Ha! Me, too! And don't even think about making me care for farm animals. It's definitely not for everyone--then again, neither is having 19 kids. But I honestly think could handle kids more than a farm! LOL

I would have a large garden because that has been something I have always wanted. Just think of all the fruit and veggies that could be frozen and canned as well as eaten fresh. All that land would make for a wonderful garden and maybe a small orchard! And I would have chickens, and may be a dairy cow or goat, and a head or two of cattle for meat.

Perhaps, homeschooling 19 kids (or is it down to "Just" 10 right now?) gets in the way of homesteading!:001_huh:

There was one show where they showed a neighbor that used their land to garden. Some of the kids helped. So someone is gardening--just not the duggers.

It really bugs me when folks will skimp on nutrition in the name of saving a buck. They've had a TV show for several years, they reportedly have no debt. Can't they afford to at least buy more healthful foods? I mean, you know, replace the iceberg lettuce with romaine, etc, etc, etc.? And that tater tot casserole...blech is right!

That dishwasher does a load of dishes in 45 seconds! They could do 100 loads a day and still only spend 45 minutes doing dishes!

What I wouldn't do for any dishwasher let alone one that washes the dishes that fast. I have to wash everything by hand it seems like I just finish washing a set of dishes and it is time to cook and serve the next meal :lol:

What I wouldn't do for any dishwasher let alone one that washes the dishes that fast. I have to wash everything by hand it seems like I just finish washing a set of dishes and it is time to cook and serve the next meal :lol:

I hear ya! I have 5 kids over here and we have not had a dishwasher in over 4 years. Now you know why I have 5 kids! Someone's gotta do all these dishes lol:lol:

I hate to admit it - but I LOVE tater tot casserole. And I am a green smoothie swilling SoCal nut. I even turned my tiny front yard into an organic garden...

My kids and dh love Tater tot casserole too.

I have an obsessive love affair with anything potato....maybe I need counseling.

Or ketchup! :tongue_smilie:

Michele

Amen, sister! I have NEVER had a dishwasher and I would be in a dream world if I had one like that!

I like any excuse to include tater tots. :D

:thumbup:

No, I'm not kidding. I'm curious about what casserole has not yet been invented. :001_smile:

It's not unlike a pot pie, but the crust is basically tater tots. What is not to love? Really now!!

:confused: Does your tater tot casserole have vegetables in it? It must be a very different recipe than the one served at every church dinner I ever attended as a child - tater tots and ground beef in a cream sauce, baked until golden on top.

Wait, is that REAL or hyperbole? :confused:

I assume it's real - when I worked in the kitchens in college, we did the whole dorm's dishes as well as most of the cooking utensils and bowls in about an hour total. That dishwasher was fast - smallish loads, but they did take about 1 minute each.

That was what has always perplexed me about the duggars... the amount of processed foods and almost homemade foods they eat. It really is cheaper going totally from scratch.

Maybe when the kids were young, she got in the habit of almost homemade food, now that they're older and can help out, she just kept doing it.

We always cook from scratch, with a handful of exceptions, which I'll buy if they're on 50%+ off sale. Things like crackers and brownie mixes.

I wonder if now that they are making more money off the show, they've improved the quality of their foods?

On the other hand I have just as much down-my-nose feeling for some people I know who spend $300/ week on a family of three to buy all organic foods.

I assume it's real - when I worked in the kitchens in college, we did the whole dorm's dishes as well as most of the cooking utensils and bowls in about an hour total. That dishwasher was fast - smallish loads, but they did take about 1 minute each.

Our church has a similar dishwasher that will get a rack of dishes through in less than a minute. Definitely do exist. I'd imagine you'd need a amazing hot water heater (or 4) and some stellar water pressure to make that work in a home.

On the other hand I have just as much down-my-nose feeling for some people I know who spend $300/ week on a family of three to buy all organic foods.

I don't see why. I don't buy ALL organic, but I do what I can. I have food sensitivities and I can tell differences in my kids demeanor and behavoir depending on how they are eating. Even though we dont specifically avoid gluten, dairy, etc We do avoid processed food though. Some families prioritize nutrition and/or being earth friendly like another might prioritize having 19 children. Neither choice is intrinsically "wrong". Just depends on the people in question.

Our church has a similar dishwasher that will get a rack of dishes through in less than a minute. Definitely do exist. I'd imagine you'd need a amazing hot water heater (or 4) and some stellar water pressure to make that work in a home.

I had heard their mega-dishwashers washed a load in 3 minutes. THREE minutes! I dream about that every time I listen to mine clunk along for what seems like three hours. But my parents never had a dishwasher (still don't), so I know better than to be annoyed with my slow washing machine! At least it washes everything...eventually...

and their lifestyle. Having never cared whether they have 1 kid or 19, I do now have some thoughts. They need to put in some raised garden beds. They should stop buying jarred sauce and bagged iceberg lettuce. ;) They should also ditch the paper plates and cups. Did they not put in an industrial washing machine in with that kitchen? They could run it once a day. They should each have their own labled water bottles.

I hope you're all happy now. ;)

I am a Duggar fan, and I agree those are all great ideas. The garden alone would be a great homeschool/family activity.

I don't see why. I don't buy ALL organic, but I do what I can. I have food sensitivities and I can tell differences in my kids demeanor and behavoir depending on how they are eating. Even though we dont specifically avoid gluten, dairy, etc We do avoid processed food though. Some families prioritize nutrition and/or being earth friendly like another might prioritize having 19 children. Neither choice is intrinsically "wrong". Just depends on the people in question.

Exactly!!

astrid

and their lifestyle. Having never cared whether they have 1 kid or 19, I do now have some thoughts. They need to put in some raised garden beds. They should stop buying jarred sauce and bagged iceberg lettuce.

:iagree:

I saw part of an episode where the boys were learning to cook. So they head to the freezer and pull out the frozen vegetables and frozen tater tots. Gross.

It really bugs me when folks will skimp on nutrition in the name of saving a buck. They've had a TV show for several years, they reportedly have no debt. Can't they afford to at least buy more healthful foods? I mean, you know, replace the iceberg lettuce with romaine, etc, etc, etc.? And that tater tot casserole...blech is right!

Really, doesn't a fair percent of the population eat like this? Where do you think all those heads of iceberg lettuce in the store go? I'm continually amazed at the things people eat, and feed their children (candy and fast food every day? seriously?) I grew up eating iceberg lettuce and tator tot casserole. I'm not saying I think it's healthy (and my crappy diet for most of my life might explain why my children have so many food intolerances, but that's a different story). I'm just saying I don't think it's at all out-of-the-ordinary.

Exactly! They have 2 fancy dishwashers, why the heck are they using paper plates?

Their food is what bother me the most...tater tot casserole...grumblegrumble.

These are things that have annoyed me about it all along. And the soda machine in the kitchen? :eek: To swill down the tater tot casserole I guess...

astrid

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks the tater tot casserole is horrendous!

Completely. Horrendous. :ack2:

The episodes I've watched that included grocery shopping seemed to indicate that more emphasis is placed on price and convenience than nutrition.

astrid

Oh, don't start me on their "food." And I'm not super organic awesome mom myself, but blech!!

I agree with all of the terrible food comments. It's disturbing, actually. You know... they are 20+ people, at least 15 of whom are old enough/capable enough to do gardening. If 20 Hutterite women can raise enough food to feed 100 people for a year, then surely 15 Duggars can do way better than tatorfrikkintot casserole.

Some people are better at raising children than gardens.

If it doesn't follow me around and/or make noise, it doesn't get fed.

:iagree:Me too!!:D

Also, why people buy what they buy varies.

I don't want to spend the majority of my time in the kitchen or dirt. To someone who might enjoy that or has other primary motivators for doing it, that seems off.

But their time or money priorities aren't the same as mine.

Don't be surprised if a producer PMs you with an invitation to something like Swap with the Duggars! :tongue_smilie:

Ha! Sorry, I don't pimp out my kids ;) and I like my privacy. However, I do have to admit, this area would love to have a family with a positive representation after the Gosling fiasco. I have been asked if we plan on having a show like the Goslings or the Duggars. :eyeroll:

Really, doesn't a fair percent of the population eat like this? Where do you think all those heads of iceberg lettuce in the store go? I'm continually amazed at the things people eat, and feed their children (candy and fast food every day? seriously?) I grew up eating iceberg lettuce and tator tot casserole. I'm not saying I think it's healthy (and my crappy diet for most of my life might explain why my children have so many food intolerances, but that's a different story). I'm just saying I don't think it's at all out-of-the-ordinary.

I never said it was unusual, just that I'd make better food choices for my family if I were them.

The OP mentioned the family growing a garden. My point was that even if that is not an option, they could at least buy healthier food at the store, since it doesn't seem like money is an issue.

If they want to eat disgusting food, that is their prerogative, but when they put the recipe on a website, I can have a public opinion about it. ;)