Menu

Raw Diet Support Thread Week of Jan 9th

Hi all!

Sorry I didn't post this yesterday-finally getting over my cold (yay!) and didn't have the energy.

Anyway, things are going well here, raw-wise. I am about 75% raw, eating a lot more fruits and salads, and trying hard to have a smoothie every morning. I don't really like to eat breakfast, and then school gets into swing, and I tend to forget to make my smoothie. I am still drinking coffee-don't see that ending anytime soon!

Oh, and I found a great site called myyogaonline.com which offers a wide range of yoga classes "on-demand". I got a free week using a coupon-I can dig up the code if anyone is interested. I think the cost is about 9 dollars a month, which I think is very reasonable especially given the wide range of teachers they have on the site. I am going to try and use it 2-3 times a week in addition to my regular exercise.

Today is my first day juicing. So far, so good. (But I've only had the breakfast juice!)

I did have some blueberry lassi at the health food store while I shopped for kale and such. And tonight's dinner is going to be roasted sweet potato soup so that won't be raw but the rest of the day will be! :)

Today is my first day juicing. So far, so good. (But I've only had the breakfast juice!)

I did have some blueberry lassi at the health food store while I shopped for kale and such. And tonight's dinner is going to be roasted sweet potato soup so that won't be raw but the rest of the day will be! :)

Sounds delicious. I think tonihgt I am going to make my fave raw soup, Celery Avocado Soup--here's the recipe-I don't have cilantro but it's delicious anyways.

Somebody put a little too much golden flax seed in their pineapple juice yesterday...lol..ow.

Gotta chill on that stuff. I'm going to "detox" for another week and then get more structured and varied.

Detoxing is no more that extra hydration and lots of lemon in the water during the day and staying on complete juice.

I have not dropped coffee yet. Maybe at the end of the week if I'm feeling like it...I'll probably switch over to Morrocan tea with honey for the kick.

Oh wow, you all are so beyond me. I need to learn "how" to eat raw. Halcyon, I'll have to start with the basics.

One question though: how do you get enough protein in a raw diet? I'm confused on that one. :confused:

BTW, a few years ago my dentist said I was too wired for him....imagine. :tongue_smilie: So, this coffee drinker cut waaaaaay back and now I consume no more than 4-8 oz. of coffee a day.

Somebody put a little too much golden flax seed in their pineapple juice yesterday...lol..ow.

Gotta chill on that stuff. I'm going to "detox" for another week and then get more structured and varied.

Detoxing is no more that extra hydration and lots of lemon in the water during the day and staying on complete juice.

I have not dropped coffee yet. Maybe at the end of the week if I'm feeling like it...I'll probably switch over to Morrocan tea with honey for the kick.

Does flax seed help keep things 'moving'? My husband is doing ALL juice, and he's having a problem with that. :blushing:

Where do you buy flax seed??

Okay. I need help. I'm not going completely raw, but I'm trying it one day/week. Just for variety. I've been juicing today and the morning juice was more like sludge. It tasted okay, but I had a hard time getting over the texture. What do I do about that?

Also, I need recipes! I found parsley to the veggie ones to taste really nice. And, I added mint to my fruit/veggie juice this afternoon. It was wonderful!

TIA!

It may depend on your juicer. My juicer doesn't produce sludge.

Is it a masticating juicer or a centrifuge?

Dawn

Okay. I need help. I'm not going completely raw, but I'm trying it one day/week. Just for variety. I've been juicing today and the morning juice was more like sludge. It tasted okay, but I had a hard time getting over the texture. What do I do about that?

Also, I need recipes! I found parsley to the veggie ones to taste really nice. And, I added mint to my fruit/veggie juice this afternoon. It was wonderful!

TIA!

What kind of juice? When I do a lot of juice I have the opposite problem!

Dawn

Does flax seed help keep things 'moving'? My husband is doing ALL juice, and he's having a problem with that. :blushing:

Where do you buy flax seed??

I am also a new member to myyogaonline.com

I have done about 4 different classes now and really like it. I think it is $69 for the year until the end of Jan-so classes are even cheaper.

My raw continues to consist of veggie juice, green smoothies, and raw veggies with a raw cheese dip in Ezekial wraps.

I would really like a good recipie for raw crackers to make in my dehydrater.

Also, do I sprout almonds that have been pasterized?

Thanks,

I didn't realize it was that cheap-i have a few more days before my trial is up to explore.

For almonds, there's a site I recommend to get them, but I can't find it-I'll dig it up...and sprouting helps digestion of nuts, but I never bothered. If they're pasteurized they're technically not raw, but some people don't care, just so you know....

It is really hard to find truly raw almonds. I don't think it makes a ton of difference (but I do not sprout mine). I do sprout other things but don't worry about the almonds.

Green smoothie today, then HUGE kale salad w/ miso dressing(all raw), raw broccoli w/ dill sunflower pate for snack, fruits and Lara bar later. Dinner was baked ckn nuggets-not raw but in a coating of ground flaxseeds, almonds, wheat germ, etc. So I'd say about 90% raw today.

Yesterday was a similar day, but had a couple homemade carrot spice muffins (all organic-no sugar, etc.)

I don't think I ate enough though because I started working out hard (Chalean Extreme dvds) and I was kind of hungry earlier. I think with the raw I shouldn't go as long between eating. Anyone else finding that?

I have also been completely sugar-free for about two wks now-no cravings, going great! This is huge because I LOVE sugar! I am still doing honey, agave, maple syrup but really have not had cravings.I think the raw is really helping to reduce wanting sugar.

Is everyone doing plenty of water? Also very important!!

Also make sure you have a really good grocery list so you have raw stuff on hand. Another tip-be sure you are getting enough fats-whether it be seeds, nuts, coconut or olive or flax oil, etc.

I am going to try that celery soup-THANKS!

Is anybody dehydrating anything?

ETA: Halycon-i am going to make the soup w/out the cilantro too-sounds like it would be too strong with it. Do you sub in anything else, or just leave it out and leave the other amounts the same? Glad you're getting over your cold!

I don't think I can post on here very often due to trying to spend less time on computer, but I'll be thinking of you all! Be well!

Edited by HappyGrace

Well, today I was Vegan and stayed away from processed foods, but I wasn't as raw as I would have liked.

for dinner I did have a frozen strawberry shake with spinach, almonds, and water and a bit of agave.

Then DH made a raw pie! dates and nuts pressed into the pie plate and strawberry puree and other whole fruit on top.

Dawn

I buy golden flax from the bulk section at the grocery store. Just a handful is fine. Throw it in the coffee grinder and it'll turn to a powder.

You can buy it ground up already also.

It's a fiber, tasteless...but expands 14X it's size. Basically natural metamucil mix.

Start with tossing in just about a half teaspoon in a full 8 oz. glass to start. Be sure you are supplementing with a probiotic.

Then come back here and talk about the um...tremendous gianormous results.

It's a bit frightening at first "pass." :)

But seriously, this is how you get the slug out of you and it is really rather stunning to get used to. If you don't have good reading material in your power err..."powder room"...best throw something entertaining in there to amuse you.

TIA!

Did you strain it? I have a Champion Juicer myself and there is definitely a good bit more than straight juice that comes out though it will look like just juice and a little foam in the container. I was taught to strain the juice to removed the foam and smaller bits of vegetable. I can not stand for there to be any texture in my juice other than nice clean strained juice personally. :tongue_smilie:

Anyone care if I do a quick intro on my experience with raw so far? I had tried a raw mostly vegan diet years ago via the Hallelujah Diet and I felt just hideous and so avoided the idea of a raw food diet for years. I later realized that food reactions were why I felt hideous. I was eating homemade whole wheat bread for my cooked portion of food and I absolutely can't have gluten. And my juice was mostly carrot or fruit and I can't have that much sweetness without it negatively affecting my blood sugar and for whatever reason I don't react well to carrots either.

Then last spring I got sick. I was doing the GAPS diet but splurged on gluten free cake etc with my boys birthday's which are days apart. It might be a coincidence but I ended up with Strep right after that, twice and a UTI. After the last bout of strep my throat stayed horribly swollen even after the abx and follow up tests were negative. I was told I probably had Mono. My throat simply was not getting better and I felt awful and the horribly swollen throat was putting my anxiety in overdrive. It wasn't minor swelling either. It was awful. I figured out if I took at least 3 tablespoons a day of coconut oil the swelling was better and more manageable. I couldn't go below that.

On a whim one night I watched Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. I found it so inspiring I started a 10 day juice fast the very next morning. Within days the swelling in my throat that had been there 6 full months was totally gone. I have experienced some amazing benefits in my health from juicing and specifically the juice fasting. I don't juice any but minimal amounts of fruits. I basically do all greens except a little granny smith apple, lemons and limes and cranberries. But wow! After a few days of just green juices I felt so amazingly peaceful. My anxiety and depression was gone. I'd been battling pretty serious anxiety for a couple of years and with the juicing it was just gone. I'm hypothyroid and my thyroid symptoms were better as well and I was able to use less medication. I have never felt better in my life than I do on raw foods specifically green juices and smoothies.

That said I have had a problem with my teeth. With my first juice fast I actually took a little raw fermented fish oil and butter oil daily as well as some raw egg yolks in my juice from our own chickens because I was using it to treat a cavity. Well, we're Orthodox and I figured I'd go ahead and just go vegan during the recent Nativity Fast. It was a big mistake for my dental health. My cavity ended up much worse when it had been so much better it was hard to even find after I'd started the fish and butter oil. So I'm back to adding in raw animals fats and trying to figure out how I can balance this all and feel great and still maintain the health of my teeth.

Good morning rawbies! :001_smile:

Well, yesterday didn't go as perfectly as I had planned. I did do an apple/pear juice for breakfast and then a kale/spinach/carrot/apple juice for lunch and well, I HATED lunch.

I actually don't like the taste of most vegetables so surprise for me - I don't like kale juice. :D

But I'm doing this. I'm going to make myself drink that green carp is if kills me. I treated myself to a banana after sucking it all down.

We were out car shopping yesterday so we had dinner on the road. Yuck. I had a Taco Bell bean burrito. Better than a double cheeseburger, right?? :glare:

Breakfast today was carrot/apple/pear juice with a touch of ginger and lemon and a handful of raw almonds.

I'll be drinking the green carp for lunch and tonight will be the roasted sweet potato soup.

Yesterday's juice shopping was $283!!! (Subtract the coconut milk and the little containers of lassi, I guess.)

I don't know about the rest of you, but if I do this diet long term I will be gardening like a mad woman this spring!!!

Beet, Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead inspired me too. I don't have any health issues really but I just turned 40 and I need to lose 40ish pounds. I just don't feel GOOD, KWIM? I want to feel like my kids feel sometimes - where everything works and exercising is a joy.

No juicing for me--just eating the stuff raw. I am, however, getting ready to juice several oranges. I heard about the addition of "spice packets" into 100% natural orange juice and just decided I might as well make my own.

We got a fantastic box at our co-op yesterday, and we earned ten extra pears and four extra avocados for volunteering. Crazy! It also has collards, bok choy, spinach, bananas, kale (of course), tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, blueberries, apples, zucchini, cucumbers, and more. Exciting!

Oh wow, you all are so beyond me. I need to learn "how" to eat raw. Halcyon, I'll have to start with the basics.

One question though: how do you get enough protein in a raw diet? I'm confused on that one. :confused:

BTW, a few years ago my dentist said I was too wired for him....imagine. :tongue_smilie: So, this coffee drinker cut waaaaaay back and now I consume no more than 4-8 oz. of coffee a day.

My daughter is doing raw till dinner and we've read alot about being vegan in the last couple weeks. The books say that you can get plenty of protein through fruits and veggies/beans. The fact that we need meat/dairy for protein is a myth. Americans consume way too much protein than what is needed.

No juicing for me--just eating the stuff raw. I am, however, getting ready to juice several oranges. I heard about the addition of "spice packets" into 100% natural orange juice and just decided I might as well make my own.

We got a fantastic box at our co-op yesterday, and we earned ten extra pears and four extra avocados for volunteering. Crazy! It also has collards, bok choy, spinach, bananas, kale (of course), tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, blueberries, apples, zucchini, cucumbers, and more. Exciting!

Orange and grapefruit juice (fresh, raw of course) are great ways to add more calories...off to juice some grapefruit :)

My daughter is doing raw till dinner and we've read alot about being vegan in the last couple weeks. The books say that you can get plenty of protein through fruits and veggies/beans. The fact that we need meat/dairy for protein is a myth. Americans consume way too much protein than what is needed.

:iagree:

And I've done my homework both on my own and with paid professionals on this. Very true.

I love meat, so I'm not trying to go completely raw, but I am trying to eat much healthier. I eat a lot of raw fruit and fruit smoothies, but eating too many raw vegetables makes me bloated, gassy, and miserable. Supposedly, green smoothies make the veggies easier to digest. But I got bloated yesterday from drinking a smoothie made with kale, banana, orange, and pineapple. Does it get better after your body adjusts to having more of the green smoothies? I didn't even make a smoothie this morning because I couldn't face feeling like that again today.

I would love the coupon code for the yoga website. Yoga is supposed to be a great way to fight cancer fatigue (I have chronic leukemia), but I just don't have time to go to the gym.

Lizzy, a lot of folks have reported having to be (at the beginning) what is called a "mono" raw person.

This just simply means to take in one food at a time, and not mix them.

When I first went raw I found that my transition was that of a mono raw person. I did much better with just one food at a time and it took me probably.....4 weeks before I could "blend" my foods.

You might want to experiment with this idea if you are having any type of distress, keep a food journal.

Blend say...just one type of fruit, eat/juice whatever..wait about a half an hour and record on a scale of 1-5 if you are having any sort of reaction.

Some folks call this process of investigating what foods affect you how..an elimination diet. It's about finding any food source that sets off unwanted effects in your body.

edit: Also, there's a lot of really interesting information out there about bananas and their particular stage of ripeness and what the right stage of a banana is to reap the most benefits.

After a long road with bananas, I do not eat yellow bananas. I wait until they are about 3/4 brown. They were a trigger food for me until I learned this. Now I love them.

Edited by one*mom

Lizzy, a lot of folks have reported having to be (at the beginning) what is called a "mono" raw person.

This just simply means to take in one food at a time, and not mix them.

When I first went raw I found that my transition was that of a mono raw person. I did much better with just one food at a time and it took me probably.....4 weeks before I could "blend" my foods.

You might want to experiment with this idea if you are having any type of distress, keep a food journal.

Blend say...just one type of fruit, eat/juice whatever..wait about a half an hour and record on a scale of 1-5 if you are having any sort of reaction.

Some folks call this process of investigating what foods affect you how..an elimination diet. It's about finding any food source that sets off unwanted effects in your body.

edit: Also, there's a lot of really interesting information out there about bananas and their particular stage of ripeness and what the right stage of a banana is to reap the most benefits.

After a long road with bananas, I do not eat yellow bananas. I wait until they are about 3/4 brown. They were a trigger food for me until I learned this. Now I love them.

Thanks! I don't have any problem with blended fruit smoothies, so it must have been the kale that my system didn't like. I used two leaves, so next time I'll try it with just one and then see if I can increase from there.

Oh, and I found a great site called myyogaonline.com which offers a wide range of yoga classes "on-demand". I got a free week using a coupon-I can dig up the code if anyone is interested. I think the cost is about 9 dollars a month, which I think is very reasonable especially given the wide range of teachers they have on the site. I am going to try and use it 2-3 times a week in addition to my regular exercise.

I'm beyond excited about this! I'm going to check it out right now!

As for raw, today I had a smoothies for breakfast and a salad for lunch. I'll probably keep doing that and cooking vegan meals for dinner. I'm in Ohio, so I want to make some hearty warm soups when it starts getting cold!

Edited by Runningmom80

I'm so encouraged today, and I wanted to share it ~

My husband has lost 20lbs. and at least a few inches of his belly after 10 days of juicing! Today he's wearing an outfit that I got him for Christmas - but ended up being too small. He's so proud of himself - I love it!

I have been too nervous to weigh myself again, so for now, I've lost 7lbs. ;)

My husband has lost 20lbs. and at least a few inches of his belly after 10 days of juicing! Today he's wearing an outfit that I got him for Christmas - but ended up being too small. He's so proud of himself - I love it!

That's GREAT! What are you eating?

We're juicing apples, pears, carrots, kale/spinach. My husband is doing only juice.

I've fallen into a pattern of skipping juice in the morning (because I'm already making his and it just takes so long), but eating 10 almonds. And then I have 10 almonds & the juice for lunch. And then I've been making a healthy dinner (chicken & veggies).

And, I'm still drinking coffee. :D

Just had time to pop in for a second--Awesome job, everyone! :hurray:

Smoothie this morn, lentil salad for lunch (everything was raw but the lentils), a couple homemade muffins-was rushed today so didn't get as much food in as I should have. I think by the time dinner is done I will only be about 50% raw today.

Started back into the heavy weight workouts and I'm sore, tired, and a little bit cranky.

I think I need to pre-prep my food better too.

Edited by HappyGrace

Welcome newbies!

Just wanted to mention, as an alternative to green smoothies, I sometimes have a banana-cacao-berry shake in the morning-the cacao really is delicious and you can get Navitas Naturals Raw Cacao on amazon really cheaply.

Do you buy the kosher version or the regaular organic version? Is there any benefit to the kosher version besides it being well, kosher? :001_smile:

Isn't it crazy simple? Wow, way to go!

I've been totally raw so far today:

5-6 large glasses of green juice with a few raw egg yolks in them

Raw Celery soup as mentioned up thread. It was delicious but I added some cumin to it instead of pepper. I love cumin!

Raw sliced cheddar cheese with a good bit of home made lacto fermented kimchi and some guacamole.

I'll probably have a glass of coconut kefir before bed.

I make a lot of fermented foods but have not eaten much lately and I'd like to increase my intake. I also had the raw butter oil and raw fermented fish oil a couple of times today. I've felt so much better today getting all those green juices in. I also bought a gallon of raw cream today to have fun with. I really want some whipped cream with blueberries or strawberries.

Heading out for a 3 day mini-vacation in a few minutes so thought I would let you know.

On the way up to the mountains we are stopping in Shelby, NC and getting some items at Hallelujah Acres. I am hoping we can have lunch there today as well if the boys will find anything they can eat there that won't make them gag. I certainly don't intend to buy an expensive lunch and have them not eat it!

Dawn

I just have to quick throw this in, I wanted to ask if anyone else uses psyillum husk in their juice.

That stuff is a magic bullet and a half in weight loss & juicing.

What the what? :D

Tell me more! You just add it after you juice your green juice or what?

Forgive me raw loves, I had a Coke for breakfast today. I had to clean the bedroom and I REALLY hate cleaning the bedroom. So I gave myself a Coke while I did it. Aside from that, I've had a handful of raw almonds and a raw juice mix made of kale, cucumber, carrots, green apples, and pears.

I'll have a roasted sweet potato or roasted sweet potato soup for dinner tonight.

psyllium husk is totally non digestable, it's a fiber of husk, it works on basically scraping clean the intestinal tract....

You just throw a little tiny bit of it in your juice and stir it in, I would not recommend more than 1/4 teaspoon to start with

When you "eliminate" the next day, the "bulk size" of your um, "stuff" is the size of something you'd think a small pony left behind..lol...

You have to start small and work up.

I'd never go past a teaspoon of it in one glass.

You can buy it both fine grind and whole.

I'd start with ground (or do it yourself with the coffee mill) and work up to whole.

Most health food stores carry it in their bulk section.

Bulk section, indeed.

It's a game changer in short. Try it or talk it over, research it a bit with google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyllium_seed_husks

You really need to guard this stuff; do not take your eyes off it or have it near a place where children can find it; it can be a choking hazard.

Edited by one*mom

So I am semi-joining the bandwagon.

Mrs Spy Car was taken out to lunch at "Planet Raw," the Santa Monica restaurant run by the fabulous raw-chef and impresario Juliano. She came home all enthused. As it's her birthday I've been throwing my efforts into indulging her desires to go more raw.

Stuff is soaking everywhere :D

Bill

So I am semi-joining the bandwagon.

Mrs Spy Car was taken out to lunch at "Planet Raw," the Santa Monica restaurant run by the fabulous raw-chef and impresario Juliano. She came home all enthused. As it's her birthday I've been throwing my efforts into indulging her desires to go more raw.

Stuff is soaking everywhere :D

Bill

Glad you're joining us--you're going to feel great in a few days.

I have been doing pretty well-about 60% raw. Drinking smoothies in the morning, a lot more fruit, more salad...my cooked is quinoa and brown rice, along with lentils and split peas and black beans. I also have toast on occasion. Trying to eat a lot of bananas too. My weight has gone down about 2-3 lbs and I don't want to get any lower, so I am going to keep eating avocados....

I hope to pull out my dehydrator this weekend, and maybe we'll even hit up Christopher's Kitchen (looks good, right?)