Menu

Drawing with Children, Mona Brooks

gratitude

What is the next book to use for drawing, after completing Drawing with Children?

We used the Drawing with Children Book for my oldest when he was in K/1st.

Now I am re-doing it with my second son in first.

All 3 of my oldest children enjoy this book a lot, and their drawings keep improving. They also don't seem to mind going over the same material again.

I have a question though that I have had for some time. I love the fact that with this book I was able to teach my children at such young ages to draw far better than I can.

I would like to keep going with the drawing for them, and I was wondering what people use next.

I'm eyeing Mark Kistler's book or else Drawing for Older Children and Teens. I'll let them do the former whenever we get a copy (one filled drawing page a day is what he recommends I think?), but the latter I want them to be able to do mostly on their own (I'd still schedule / assign it).

Anyway I'm :bigear: for others' thoughts.

What is the next book to use for drawing, after completing Drawing with Children?

We used DWC when my kids were younger, but we did it over a three-year period. Sounds weird, but that's just how it worked out. :D Then we took a couple of years away from drawing to do watercolour and then sculpting, and this year we are using Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. But I'm not sure you'd want to use it for your younger kids...have a look at it, but you might decide they're too young now. Then again, thinking out loud here, you might decide you could do some of the exercises with them. Anyway, I do like DRSB, so I recommend it. :D

Drawing for Older Children and Teens.

It has been a few years since I looked through this book, but I'm thinking it might be just a version of DWC meant for older people? Same techniques as DWC? But I can't remember. Something to find out, though.