Menu

Female stuff (sorry) ...help for migraine-like headaches but not migraines.

Sounds dumb but I don't get the PMS migraines (no funny light spots and sensations of being stabbed in the eyes). I do get colossal tension headaches that have the power of migraines, completely debilitating. I get a couple of days of build up before I go down for the count. The only thing that kind of works is Flexeril and some Aleve. Problem is, I am out like a light. I didn't have this problem when I was younger, now it has been a pretty constant thing for about a year now. :thumbdown:

Is there anything OTC/herbal/homeopathic that I can take?

Migraines present in different ways; spots and/or pain in the eyes is not a requirement!

Are you on the pill? I was on it for years with no problems, then started with the monthly migraines. Moving to the Nuvaring improved them a lot, and getting off hormone-based birth control made them go away completely.

Frankly, I'd take 'out like a light' over a migraine/severe headache any day! I don't know of anything natural that will help once you have the headache, but I have a few suggestions for heading them off at the pass.

Nitrates are a huge migraine trigger for me (hot dogs, bacon, processed meats), as are all heavily processed foods and chemical exposure in general. Sometimes, a single incident is enough to get me started, but it's more likely to occur as a result of reaching my combined 'limit' - - a bit of extra junk food along with a lack of sleep, for example.

If you get warning signals a day or two ahead of time, I would try avoiding ALL processed food to the greatest extent possible, including fast food and most restaurant food (especially chain restaurants like Applebee's, etc). Cut down chemical exposure in other ways as much as you can - - this is not the time to spray for bugs, light scented candles, etc etc. And of course, get some extra rest.

I know exactly what you're talking about.

I found that going to a prescription dose of naproxen (Aleve) took care of mine without going to the muscle relaxer. Once I had my uterine ablation, the strength of the headaches has abated somewhat, but I still have them.

Based on my own experience, do you think that you're clenching your teeth and giving yourself a headache that way, and that's why the relaxant works?

I know exactly what you're talking about.

I found that going to a prescription dose of naproxen (Aleve) took care of mine without going to the muscle relaxer. Once I had my uterine ablation, the strength of the headaches has abated somewhat, but I still have them.

Based on my own experience, do you think that you're clenching your teeth and giving yourself a headache that way, and that's why the relaxant works?

Which a new thing that started a couple of month ago. I don't know why I am doing this. Am I tense, am I unhappy, am I frustrated...I don't know.

I have suffered horrible migraines since I was 3. One thing that helps me is that when I feel one coming on, I take 2 Excedrin Migraine with a cup of coffee (or can of Pepsi).

If they are PMS related, you should also try natural progesterone cream. This helped a little bit when I was going through pre-menopause.

There are some medications out there specifically for tension migraines.

The most common is Fiorinol/Fioricet (sp?) However, they must be used sparingly or bounceback headaches can be much worse and you get many more. But used as prescribed and if you take it when you feel the pain coming on, can be very effective for this type of pain.

HTH. You can PM me anytime. After almost 40 years, I've aquired quite a bit of information. :willy_nilly:

It's called EFT, which stands for Emotional Freedom Technique. I realize that sounds terribly cheesy, but it actually works. It's sort of an accupressure technique that you can do on yourself quickly and easily. You just learn the pressure points, and then you tap on them with your finger tips (no needles required). If I do this when I *first* feel a headache coming on, it works wonders. If I don't, and the pain gets full-blown, it's usually ineffective. Try googling it, and I will also see if I can find the website where I originally learned it. I know that a local health food store recently had an instructional class about it (it can be used for a big variety of things beyond just headaches), so you might be able to find something similar where you live.

And by the way, I was diagnosed with migraines by an MD, but mine are not "typical" either. He said migraines are caused by a problem with blood flow to the brain, and depending on which particular artery has the problem, the symptoms can be quite different. He gave me a medication which worked quite well, and didn't knock me out. But I stopped getting it refilled once I learned EFT. Haven't needed it since.

We had chronic migraines and migraine-like headaches in our home until I finally eliminated all MSG and MSG-like products. Making this improvement in our diet has literally changed dh's and some of my children's lives. One of my children had a headache every single afternoon for over a year before I did this, and dh has suffered with migraines for half his life. Now all are headache and migraine free unless we go to a potluck or dh eats something at work, etc. You might check out this website: www.msgmyth.com for more information. HTH. I've never suffered with headaches or migraines, but watching loved ones suffer with them has been heartbreaking. I really hope you find a solution.

I had a month long "migraine" a few months after my son was born. I ended up in the ER and seeing a neurologist and having a battery of tests run (mostly because the CT in the ER showed something odd). They never were able to figure out the cause. At first the neurologist told me it wasn't a migraine, because it lasted so long and wasn't typical in some other ways, but later once the other tests couldn't determine a cause, she called it a migraine again. She wanted me to wean my baby and go on migraine medication

(which we had already tried for a day a few weeks prior and it didn't help). I was unwilling to wean my baby, so I went to my chiropractor and had acupuncture done and it helped a lot.

Now whenever I feel the headaches starting to come on again (they start slow and build in intensity for a few days before becoming debilitating), I see the chiropractor and that heads them off.

I had monthly headaches for YEARS. In our recent move from Atlanta to Toronto last year I changed docs and new guy told me that the headaches I was having were very likely migraines, not the mother of all tension headaches as I had thought. I had been taking Fiorinal, a barbiturate, which is highly addictive, but I had been getting some wierd side effects from it and wanted to try something else.

He explained that migraines present in many different ways and that there are different types of headaches that are all triggered the same way(s). He gave me some samples of medication to try (Maxalt and another migraine med, both triptans.) He explained that if the headaches were NOT in fact migraines, the meds wouldn't work. Lo and behold, those babies kick the headaches right outta my head. I am a changed woman, and can't believe that I suffered for years with three-to-four day long headaches. I missed many social and other events because of headaches and I am no longer at risk for this.

I had monthly headaches for YEARS. In our recent move from Atlanta to Toronto last year I changed docs and new guy told me that the headaches I was having were very likely migraines, not the mother of all tension headaches as I had thought. I had been taking Fiorinal, a barbiturate, which is highly addictive, but I had been getting some wierd side effects from it and wanted to try something else.

He explained that migraines present in many different ways and that there are different types of headaches that are all triggered the same way(s). He gave me some samples of medication to try (Maxalt and another migraine med, both triptans.) He explained that if the headaches were NOT in fact migraines, the meds wouldn't work. Lo and behold, those babies kick the headaches right outta my head. I am a changed woman, and can't believe that I suffered for years with three-to-four day long headaches. I missed many social and other events because of headaches and I am no longer at risk for this.

I just can't stand their side effects, especially now that I've discovered I have acute osteopenia from taking thyroid medication.

Good grief, I just might reconsider though if I had headaches that lasted 3 or 4 days! :thumbdown: