Menu

Can I see your 1st grade plans?

jillian

My DD is in K now, but I'm already planning for her 1st grade year because I'll be making my curriculum purchases within the next month or so.

We'll be using HOD's Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory as our core. I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with Singapore for our math or switch to something else. I'll be adding in some picture study, Song School Latin, and some sort of composer study for sure.

Read something: ( I do have Phonics pathways, get readers from the library...)

Math: (I do have Singapore math, but anything math related is okay, working on addition, listening to a math book from the library...)

Writing: Do a page out of your Hand writing without tears book.

Piano: Play your songs you are working on out of your pianimals book. They also have a weekly lesson

French: three times a week we have a evening french book time. I read a page out of a book in English and then my dh reads the same page in french.

Science: Starting in two weeks, we will start listening to audio recordings of Mr Q. Earth science a few times a week.

Listen to, and talk about lots of chapter book read alouds.

I am doing 1st grade this year with ds6. We are using:

Math: Singapore Math 1B & 2A

Writing: Journal, Copywork, Independent writing using the writing process

Reading/Literature/History: Sonlight Core 2/C with 2-Int readers

Science: Studying anatomy & botony with living books

French: L'art de Dire

Art: Drawing with Children

We do our seatwork in the morning: math, journal or copywork (on alternating days), writing, and French. That takes us just over an hour. In the afternoon, we curl up on the couch to read: our Sonlight read-aloud and then either Sonlight history or science read-alouds (on alternating days). That takes about 45 min. Ds also reads aloud to me for 10-15 min. at bedtime and we do art on Fridays. It works out to about 2 hrs of schoolwork each day. With my older dd, we just worked for 2 hrs straight, but ds is a younger 1st grader than she was (summer b-day) and this is working well.

Thanks everyone. I'm pleased that dd's attention span is getting longer and she's enjoying her read alouds more. We are actually enjoying and understanding Percy Jackson/Lightening Thief at bedtime this year. I am trying to figure out a workable schedule for us.

We do it like this:

7:00ish wake up, get dressed, eat, morning chores

8:30 Math and Logic: Saxon 1 (he's behind, I wish he were in 2) and Building Thinking Skills Hands-on (about to start Primary though)

9:30 Grammar and Writing: FLL1 (again, I wish he were in 2 b/c I want to start in K and do Essentials starting in 4th) and WWE 1 (I wouldn't want to start this earlier than 1st), MP Copybook 2 then NAC 1 when he finishes soon

10:30 Latin and Spelling: AAS 2 and LNST 2 (in 1st I'd probably just do level 1 and then SSL 1, he's ahead here) then we're going to fill in the rest of the year with SSL1

11:30 Memory Work: IEW Poetry, Scripture (using Memory Work Notebook from CLP but next year will use AWANA), and CC

12:30 Lunch and play break

1:30 Reading/Lit/Phonics: McGuffey First Reader (he is ahead here, I'd recommend one of the Primers...he reads this aloud to me) and OPGTR, VP Phonics Museum K (just the workbook, primers, and cards...I don't do the lessons...again he is finishing up an old book for extra practice but he should really be in 1st grade book). He also has in his bin CLP Nature Reader 1 and an Usborne Nature book to read. I may also have him read the word list in MP Classical Phonics that goes with OPTGR for extra practice but I haven't picked it up yet. When he finishes Phonics Museum he will have lots of books from VP with the guides and MP 1st grade books and guides. I also put in the living books from VP from 1st grade from the Bible, Music, Math, etc. sections. If AAR 2 had been out earlier this year I may have done that.

2:30 Science or History or Bible: right now we are doing Apologia Anatomy as a family for Science, and I read from the Story Bibles VP sells for Bible. I am reading from history books from VP in the 1815-Present section and we are about to start the Self-Paced history together. Probably we'll do an hour of Science each day and then one history lesson and read 1/2 hour of Bible story. If Self-Paced Bible comes out we'll do that after History instead of the Story Bibles.

4:30 Exercise 20 min, Piano 20 min, Violin 20 min.

5:30 Chores, dinner, family time, free time

8:00 Family Devotion

9:00 Read aloud from a series and/or MP 1st grade Read aloud books

9:30 bed

Of course one day a week he does CC so he gets Science experiments and Fine Arts there and does an oral presentation. One day a week he does all of his extracurricular activities like violin, piano, art, choir, and a boys club that has a game time like PE and crafts for boys. Next year he will do AWANA instead and probably not do choir unless we can find one where we move. We do schoolwork at home on M, T, Th, and Sat. Wed. activities, Fri CC and cleaning chores, Sun church and orchestra. We don't really do sports right now but maybe golf or tennis someday if Daddy initiates it :-)

By the way, these books don't have to take a whole hour. I just keep him busy that long so his older sister isn't jealous and he gets easily distracted anyway so he often takes that long for him b/c of that.

stm4him

Our first grade year (6.5 years old, working above first grade level in most subjects):

Math: Math Mammoth (1A-3A) along with Singapore IP and CWP

Grammar: First Language Lessons (1 and half of 2... should have started in 3)

Writing: Writing With Ease 1

Spelling: All About Spellings levels 1-3

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears grade 1 (just long enough to remediate weird letter formation)

History: Story of the World 1

Science: Library books

For "reading", we just got random books from the library. I used the Sonlight lists to help pick out some good books to transition him from early chapter books to real chapter books. Now I use the Sonlight read-aloud lists to find good books at his reading level that are age appropriate for him to read. ;)

He was in school for half of first grade, but he wasn't ready to do a lot of formal school work prior to age 6 anyway. He went to K at age 5 and did fine, but there wasn't much "work" there. A lot of his early learning came from reading books together and just discussing things (especially math - our van conversations were awesome!). I know your DD is preK age (unless I'm confusing you with someone else :lol:), so just be aware that they can learn an awful lot without any curriculum at all, and I think my son actually learned more than he would have if he'd done a 1st grade curriculum, even though he was reading and doing math at or above that level at age 4. :)

Take a look at everything you'd like to do. Then decide what needs to be done daily or less often. For us, math, reading, spelling, other language arts, and Bible are daily. I have science and history on a loop with art or music being every 5th day. Hope that helps.

What we did for first grade:

Read aloud before bed every night, her to me and then me to her.

Every day:

Math - MEP 1, RS B (only one program per day)

Phonics - Dancing Bears

piano practice

Four days a week:

Writing With Ease 1

Sonlight Science 1

Three days a week:

Zaner-Bloser Manuscript

SOTW 1

La Clase Divertida

Once a week:

Atelier Art 1

piano lesson

swim lesson

dance lesson

Subjects that weren't done every day were on a loop schedule.

Our curricula is listed in my signature. As far as scheduling, I divided by 36 weeks and scheduled weekly at first. When we switched things up at week 19, I redid my schedule into a daily one. I have weeks 19-36 in a word document that I can send if you'd like to see it.

Alot of what I'm using is kind of open and go/do the next thing. Read the next chapter in CHOW. Do the next lesson in Singapore. Do the next spelling lesson. Etc.

I am leaning heavily towards having a scope/sequence as a plan but writing an "as we go" down daily.

We're doing kindergarten right now. Plans for first grade: Continue with MUS Alpha, probably switch to Beta next January. Continue FLL 1, probably switch to level 2 in January. We're starting AAS level 1 in a few days, I'm not sure where we'll be come August, since he's really good at spelling. We'll just keep going. I just discovered Startwrite this afternoon, I'm so excited. We'll be using that to practice writing instead of WWE. We'll be using BFSU and Elemental Science. Sometime we'll be starting SOTW, whenever I can get my act together.

These are my ideas for my DD who will offically start 1st this summer. These are aspirations as I am fairly certain we won't have time for all of this.

Math - SM 1B/2A

Phonics - ETC 6, 7, 8 and finish OPGTR

Grammar - FLL 2 and GWG 1

Spelling - AAS 2

Writing - WWW1 and/or WWE1

Literature - AO Year 1 Read Alouds and AO Year 1 Poetry Anthology

History - SOTW Ancients and Activity Guide

Science - RSO Life, First Animal Encyclopedia, Green Thumbs, Burgess Bird Book for Children

Bible - Egermeirs Bible, Explorers Bible Study, Leading Little Ones to God, Bible Story Handbook

Art - Drawing with Children and Artistic Pursuits

Geography - Evan Moor Daily Geography Practice Grade 1, Rod and Staff Grade 2 "Our Father's World"

Latin - Song School Latin

Spanish - Getting Started with Spanish

Logic - Primarily Logic

Dd6 is doing Phonics Road 1, Math Mammoth 1, WWE 1, OPGTR, and reads out of the mcguffey readers. We do all of this four days/week before noon.

We also do sotw ancients, apologia atronomy, and read greek myths, each once a week. Oh yeah, beggining geography too.

We read scriptures at breakfast, have devotional before lunch, memorize poems & scriptures during devotional...

I think that's it.

Edited by hmsmith

We're doing first grade this year. Last semester was stripped down and we only did the 3 R's while we got used to hsing, so here's our new schedule:

Bible: M-F: Leading Little Ones to God and Day by Day Bible

Phonics: M-F: OPGTTR 1 lesson/day, Review on Fridays; M-Th: ETC 4 pages a day (2 lessons/week)

Handwriting: M-Th: 1 page/day

LA & Reading: M-Th: FLL 1 (1 lesson/day); M-F: Read aloud book 2-3 chapters

Math: M/W/F: Singapore Text, Workbook, Extra Practice (combo of 4-5 pages total); T/Th: Miquon (only 2-3 pages total)

Geography: M/T: pulled from different resources (1 country/week)

Science: W/Th: Apologia Astronomy (1 lesson/week)

Of course, we are a bit behind since we are just now adding in the geography/science components, but since we've decided to school year around it's not a biggie to me. Our year will end right before the 4th of July if we don't take too many breaks.;)

My oldest is halfway through his 1st grade year. I also have a tagalong 5 year old and 3 year old.

This is what we'd ideally do:001_smile:(this is what I shoot for-not there yet)

I try and plan around the best time for outside play. So in the warmer months, we'd go out first thing after breakfast (5-10 min bible story at bfast) for an hour or two. (Playground, bikes, poking a stick in the mud) In colder months outside time is usually after quiet time from 3-5. In that case we may do some of the together school first thing in the morning or just have indoor playtime (legos, playdo, dressup, cutting up pieces of paper) We may also dance to music if people need some excercise.

Midmorning we'd have a snack. I may read a chapter of something (while they are eating is a good time to read)

Then the younger two would play happily:lol: while I did the 3rs with my oldest. 20 min for LA(aas,wwe,fll) 20 min for reading (mcguffy oral reading, asigned reading in a challenging book) and 20 min for math (a page in math mammoth and some reinforcing games) There may be breaks in there between subjects.

We'd all come together and do music or art (15 min)

Then we'd do the "content" subject for the day-lit/science/history (20-30 min) These come after quiet time if we don't get to them.

Then we'd have lunch (another opportunity for reading-the 10 minutes here and there add up)

Quiet time comes after lunch. They can play or read/look at books quietly on their bed or in their rooms (we are working on this)

Then comes more play time (indoor or outdoor depending on weather) or school that didn't get done in the morning

dinner

bath

maybe another story

bed

As far as scheduling specific subjects...I try and keep the same amount of time each day. So usually I teach the spelling lesson on monday because it takes 20 min. Then on tues-thurs when I'm just reviewing for 5 min in spelling I add in a little writing and grammar so the language arts total is about 20.

I'm glad you posted this because I have been struggling with how to schedule it all myself. I have two sons who are both 6. They are older K'ers and are doing mostly 1st grade material already so I have been trying to figure out how to add subjects to our day in a way they will tolerate.

Currently we are doing:

-- I read aloud for probably at least 30 minutes (they always beg for more). Our current read aloud book is Little Pilgram's Progress and it is awesome.

-- Leading Little Ones to God and scripture memory (one verse per week)

-- OPGTR: we have maybe 1 to 2 months left to finish the book. Once we are finished, I will replaced this with AAS Level 1.

-- Math Mammoth 1A: We have recently started this, after spending the first semester using RS A and SM 1A. They did not work out for us. We also use some of Miquon. I am having them do 2 pages a day, although they could probably do 3 because it is pretty easy for them right now.

-- HWT Cursive / Reading: One child does a page of cursive work while the other reads aloud to me from a 4th grade Pathway Reader and then they switch. One child is stronger at writing and the other is stronger at reading so this actually works out very well for us.

Then we are done. They normally have a snack during school, usually before math time. This work normally takes about 1.5 hours, although it would be closer to 2 hours if they were doing math that was more their level. Since we started at the beginning of MM 1A, it is pretty quick right now. We are schooling Monday through Thursday and go to co-op on most Fridays for P.E., choir and general play time with others. We read aloud from their Bible at bedtime and they each pick a book for us (my dh or I) to read aloud at that time also.

We will be adding:

First Language Lessons 1

Writing With Ease 1

All About Spelling 1

Tapestry of Grace Year 1

Noeo Biology

Art (can't remember the name right now but I think it is by Usborne)

We will still school Mon through Thur, although we school year round. We normally start school around 9:00ish or 10:00ish, depending on the day, so I plan to start earlier and do our fun read aloud while they are eating breakfast. I think the rest of it may look like this:

Math Mammoth

AAS

FLL

WWE

Play Break and then move to couch and get a snack, if needed

Leading Little Ones to God + scripture memory

History(MonWed)/Science(TueTh) Read Alouds and discussion

HWT Cursive/Reading

Lunch and Play Break

TOG Geography/craft/project or Science project

Art will probably be on Saturdays. One son has violin practice and the other will soon have piano practice. Both boys play soccer and take swim lessons once a week, although swim lessons will be finished in May.

We'll see if this all works out like this. It is much easier to put it on paper than it is to actually get two little boys to be happy with it.:tongue_smilie:

Edited by Lea in OK

Thank you everyone. I've decided I think to keep the important subject earlier in the morning--Math and Language Arts.

Then do a small break (15-20 minutes) for me to do a quick clean up (would do this before dd gets up in the morning but the child no matter what time wakes up as soon as I roll over with the intent to get up so no it doesn't work so well lol).

Sit down and do read aloud (either history read aloud or good books).

Snack.

History (either CHOW or Elemental History)

Lunch and Quiet Time (thinking of dropping this down to 1-1.5 hours instead of 2)

Science

Play time--some sort of moving around...walk, park, bike riding, basketball, soccer, etc

Dinner/Bath/Bed

Though the schedule will get moved around a bit once the warmer months start. We are in SC so it gets fairly hot during the summer months. Will probably do a morning play time in lieu of the short break in the morning.

Thank you everyone. I've decided I think to keep the important subject earlier in the morning--Math and Language Arts.

Then do a small break (15-20 minutes) for me to do a quick clean up (would do this before dd gets up in the morning but the child no matter what time wakes up as soon as I roll over with the intent to get up so no it doesn't work so well lol).

Sit down and do read aloud (either history read aloud or good books).

Snack.

History (either CHOW or Elemental History)

Lunch and Quiet Time (thinking of dropping this down to 1-1.5 hours instead of 2)

Science

Play time--some sort of moving around...walk, park, bike riding, basketball, soccer, etc

Dinner/Bath/Bed

Though the schedule will get moved around a bit once the warmer months start. We are in SC so it gets fairly hot during the summer months. Will probably do a morning play time in lieu of the short break in the morning.

Sounds like a good plan! I also school year round, so during summer we have something to do when we're stuck inside (Alabama), and during fall when the weather gets soooooo nice, I can chuck the kids outside all day without any guilt. :D On those days, we might do a little school, but not a lot. Playing outside is really good for them!

Sounds like a good plan! I also school year round, so during summer we have something to do when we're stuck inside (Alabama), and during fall when the weather gets soooooo nice, I can chuck the kids outside all day without any guilt. :D On those days, we might do a little school, but not a lot. Playing outside is really good for them!

those are some of the reasons we decided to school year round too. plus dh is military so when he gets vacation time isn't always the same so i like know we can take a 2 week break here or there or 3 days here and another 5 days at some other time or whatever. Like right now we have family coming into town tonight for a week and will be taking a break during those days (talking about things that are interesting but nothing formal) and it's nice to know that I can take this week off and not feel bad about it.

After looking at this post since last night I finally realized that I will have a first grader again next year. Here are my tentative plans:

Language Arts:

HWT 1 (2-5 days/week)

start or continue AAS 1 (or a similar program) (2-5 days/week)

copywork and very simple grammar from fairy tales (2 days/week)

narration and drawing pictures from Bible stories to make his own Bible (2 days/week)

other read-alouds (5 days/week)

Math:

continue MEP 1, possibly start MEP 2

Miquon

(1 program 2 days/week and the other 3 days/week)

History:

just read American history biographies (1-2 days/week)

Science:

nature study and maybe start BFSU (1-2 days/week)

Faith Formation:

Bible stories mentioned above (2 days/week)

Saint stories (1 day/week)

First Communion Catechism (2 days/week)

Just Like Mary and The Mass Book for Children (2 days/week)

I'm not quite sure how we'll schedule it yet. The listed days/week are just ideas. I'll have to see how it mixes with the schedule of his other siblings. He has an older sister (3rd grade next year), plus three younger siblings, one of whom will be doing preschool work. Not sure how we'll fit it all in.

My kids were like this, too (one in particular would wake up very early, even if dh or I didn't wake up early). We started using alarm clocks in their rooms and it has worked great. They are set for 6:30am and now they know not to get up until then.

I combine a lot of work so that we can spend less time at a desk.

Math: Singapore 2a&2b with CWP and IP, we read Life of Fred together once a week (as bedtime.read aloud).

Grammar: R&S 2, he reads the lesson aloud to me and we do the exercises orally. We cover grammar and him reading to me.

Spelling/dictation/handwriting: spelling plus word list one week, dictation book the next week. Dictation is where we do handwriting practice. It also reviews punctuation rules.

History/science: we alternate SOTW three days a week and RS4K twice a week.

He reads silently for at least 15 minutes per day. He does arts and crafts at co-op once a.week. He has dance twice a week, musical theatre once a week, gymnastics once a week.

We finish in about 1.5 hours a day.

My kids were like this, too (one in particular would wake up very early, even if dh or I didn't wake up early). We started using alarm clocks in their rooms and it has worked great. They are set for 6:30am and now they know not to get up until then.

I got a teaching clock that has a night light feature. I set it to glow green at 7am. The kids know not to come downstairs until the clock is green, even the 2 year old who can't read clocks yet. ;)

The nice thing about this light is that if they suddenly get replaced by aliens and end up sleeping past 7am, they won't be woken up by an alarm!

I'm doing first grade this year! We started out using HOD's Little Hearts for His Glory, but we dropped it for various reasons. Here's what we're doing now and plan to stick with:

-Rod & Staff's Grade 1 Reading/Phonics - the whole package with the matching handwriting books and everything.

-CLE Grade 1 Math

-Various art projects from the Appreciating Art book

-Lots of read-alouds (mostly Burgess books and History Stories for Children from CLP)

I got a teaching clock that has a night light feature. I set it to glow green at 7am. The kids know not to come downstairs until the clock is green, even the 2 year old who can't read clocks yet. ;)

The nice thing about this light is that if they suddenly get replaced by aliens and end up sleeping past 7am, they won't be woken up by an alarm!

We've looked at those. She likes to get up between 6 and 7. I am not a morning person. I could probably push myself to get up around 6 but I haven't because I don't want to get up if I'm not going to get my alone time.

Which clock do you have? I've seen really mixed reviews and she needs a new one anyway, here's is going lol

Alot of what I'm using is kind of open and go/do the next thing. Read the next chapter in CHOW. Do the next lesson in Singapore. Do the next spelling lesson. Etc.

I am leaning heavily towards having a scope/sequence as a plan but writing an "as we go" down daily.

This is what I do for planning: Each day has slots for certain subjects. Every night after the kids go to bed I fill those slots with either the next lesson from the open-and-go books or something appropriate for the other subjects. That way we are never behind and it gets me to think about what we will be doing the next day. I also try to take a look at most of the lessons the night before to prepare for teaching (as well as looking/reading ahead when I have time to know where we are headed). I work so much better with a planned out schedule (even if we get busy and have to skip some things) than to go more free-form. I try to make photocopies and copywork pages over the weekend as well as to gather any necessary supplies for the week.

And this is our current daily schedule, with a second grader, kindergartener, preschooler, and toddler:

6:30am: get up, breakfast, morning chores (clean-up, get dressed, brush teeth, showers, start laundry, put away laundry 2x/week from earlier in the week)

Second Grade Morning work: math, writing, and Latin

9:30: morning snack

Kindergarten read-alouds

Preschool work

11: toddler goes to sleep

Kindergarten work: handwriting, math, and word building/reading games

Second grade: spelling or grammar

Outside time

1: lunch

Kindergarten stories, narrations, picture drawings, etc. from OM K and 1

Quiet time for 5yo and 3yo

Second grade: Spanish, faith formation, fun Latin, cursive, and history, science, or art

4: quiet time is over, clean up rooms, and have snack

We've looked at those. She likes to get up between 6 and 7. I am not a morning person. I could probably push myself to get up around 6 but I haven't because I don't want to get up if I'm not going to get my alone time.

Which clock do you have? I've seen really mixed reviews and she needs a new one anyway, here's is going lol

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D7KV0Q?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1

Our plan for 1st grade starting in August with an almost six year old is:

OPGTR-5/wk

FLL1-2, depending on how much FLL1 we get done in K 3-4/wk

ZB Handwriting,-copywork 5/w

WWE 1-?/wk

Spelling Workout-?/wk

History of the World: Ancients 2/wk

I Love America (taught by grandpa once a week)

The science program laid out in WTM 2nd edition, supplementing with Evan-Moor workbooks -3/wk

The Nature Connection (taught by Daddy on Saturdays)

Right Start A-B, depending on how much RS A gets done in K 5/wk

Various logic workbooks

Something to teach both of us how to draw

The goal will be not to exceed 3 hours/day

:svengo: Phew, that looks like a lot when it's all typed out!

My first grader is currently doing:

Morning work (he can get all this done in just over an hour)

Miquon Math

Phonics Road 1 (this covers handwriting, spelling, phonics, and eventually grammar)

Song School Latin

Read-Alouds--I use the ancient history list from Classical House of Learning Literature

WWE 1--I just pick my own passages from our read-aloud books

Afternoon work

Sonlight Readers for quiet-time reading

SOTW 1 or RSO Life Science (we alternate days for history and science)

Sometimes he also picks up random workbooks (like GDI handwriting or ETC) to work on for fun. Weird kid. :tongue_smilie:

Currently we start our day with : Calendar activities, Bible Study for All Ages, Science: Apologia Zoology 3, then work on Math U See: Alpha; Abeka Grammar 1, WWE 1, Getty Dubay Handwriting Book B, Explode the Code 1 1/2 (she loves it),Wordly Wise 1st grade (not impressed, but know it'll be better in 2nd), , American History, Music & Art with her sisters, and independent map study, word families, and reading with me. While I know it's "enough" it all seems so easy for her & am currently struggling (happily) with how to challenge her :)

Edited by rocketgirl