Menu

Does FLL Grammar flow easily into Analytical Grammar?

Guest skeetk04

Guest skeetk04

So here is my dilemma. We have used First Language Lessons since the beginning. We are finishing the level 3 grammar book this week. My daughter is halfway through 4th grade. I would like her to do Analytical Grammar at some point in middle school, then their high school reinforcement books in 9-12 grade. She LOVES grammar and she wants to be an author, so I'd like her to continue it every year.

My main question is this: How do First Language Lessons Grammar levels 3 and/or 4 flow into Analytical Grammar (AG)? Is diagramming similar in the two? If we continued to level 4 of FLL, would it make sense to begin AG in season two, or are things done differently enough that we'd begin AG in season one still?

(link to what is taught in each season of AG: http://www.analyticalgrammar.com/faq#aggradelevel )

Also, with baby 4 on the way, I would really, really like to switch to a grammar program that is more self-taught than FLL. I really like the looks of GROWING WITH GRAMMAR (GWG), and I think she'd enjoy it, but I don't want to jump to that and then switch to AG later on. Unless those flow together pretty seemlessly too. Anyone know??

Additionally, because FLL level 3 and 4 do offer tons of diagramming, which is her favorite part of grammar, I'm concerned GWG and AG might not have as much diagramming as FLL, and that initially it would be a step backwards in that regard. That's how it appears from their samples.

OR, if we switched to GWG and did that through book 8 (starting with book 5 after FLL 3?), and THEN went to the AG High School Reinforcement books, would that work well? Or are the two completely different and we'd have to go through AG anyhow in order to understand the AG high school workbooks??

I am spending days and days trying to figure this out, and still cannot decide. I really need first hand experience/advice!!! Please chime in!!!!! THANK YOU!

AG does not require specific prior grammar experience (though obviously prior grammar is helpful). I can't imagine it would be any trouble to use AG in middle school after having used FLL in elementary.

As for where to start, I'm sure the people at AG would be happy to help. I'd email them.