Menu

s/o Tim Tebow?

I don't know, but I would take that over being afraid to pray in public...I know Christians who won't even thank God for their food in public because people are watching them...

I know people who won't put "coexist" bumper stickers on their car, or Wiccan/Pagan ones because they know their car will be vandalized.

Do Muslim professional players pray according to the ritual/tradition? Jewish? Do Wiccan players perform a cleansing ritual?

I think the praying on the field, and making it known he is praying is tacky.

The thing that is irritating with Tebow is that he is making a scene out of his praying. He isn't praying in private he is doing this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzioQrFg2xxvPI5W4zqfvcpsc_2NUO-AzR5_p_JgBOmtTy1q9m04GicNqxeA

Really - is this how you pray all the time? Is this how he prays all the time? It seems like he is saying "Hey everybody, look at me, look how great of a Christian I am" He is making a spectacle of himself.

Speaking again as a non-Christian...

But I have been to many NFL football games and seeing guys pray like that on the field is a pretty common sight.

ETA: I have also seen him pray while sitting on the bench and standing in place. Why do you ask? Because the media is all over it. It's nothing new. Guys have been praying on fields since the beginning of the game. I just hate to see a guy get bashed for just being unabashedly himself.

Edited by slr1765

But why the focus on praying to win a football game rather than praying to help needy people? That's what is just off for me....

He doesn't pray to win a football game. From what I've read and heard come out of his mouth he thanks God for the ability to play a game he loves and make a good living out of it. I'm sure - being a missionary and the child of missionaries he prays and does a lot of things for needy people.

But I have been to many NFL football games and seeing guys pray like that on the field is a pretty common sight.

ETA: I have also seen him pray while sitting on the bench and standing in place. Why do you ask? Because the media is all over it. It's nothing new. Guys have been praying on fields since the beginning of the game. I just hate to see a guy get bashed for just being unabashedly himself.

Yeah, I have known Pro players to be a very suspertious/ritualistic lot. What I mean is that once they do something, and win, it becomes a part of their Pre/present/post game ritual. I do not fault him for that.

But, wow! They fan's are very off putting.

I know people who won't put "coexist" bumper stickers on their car, or Wiccan/Pagan ones because they know their car will be vandalized.

Do Muslim professional players pray according to the ritual/tradition? Jewish? Do Wiccan players perform a cleansing ritual?

I think the praying on the field, and making it known he is praying is tacky.

I have to think about what you are saying...I worked with a Muslim professional once who did pray according to ritual, right at work and it was totally acceptable to the rest of us...He prayed at a certain time and in a certain way...

I am not saying that to be "legit" you have to do this...I just don't necessarily think you are up to something if you do...He could be just making it known...I won't ever really know...

Yeah, I have known Pro players to be a very suspertious/ritualistic lot. What I mean is that once they do something, and win, it becomes a part of their Pre/present/post game ritual. I do not fault him for that.

But, wow! They fan's are very off putting.

:iagree: 100%. It is almost like a Tebow following. Creepy. But having seen many interviews with him over the years (we are also Gator fans and have been to his Gator games as well), he's not like that. He's a very down to earth kind of guy. I would probably guess that he's a bit embarrassed by some of the things people have done using his name or his image.

If this is a common thing, then I stand corrected. I will admit that I am not much of a sports fan but dh is hugely into football and a lifelong Broncos fan. That being so, Tebow's kneeling prayer has been in my face all season and has seemed off-putting for reasons stated by others further upthread. If the media is showcasing Tebow to make a mockery of him for something that is common in sports then that is unfortunate.

I do think it is strange to pray for sports, just as I think it is strange to pray or "give thanks" regarding lost keys, when those are such trivial matters in this world.

The thing that is irritating with Tebow is that he is making a scene out of his praying. He isn't praying in private he is doing this:

Really - is this how you pray all the time? Is this how he prays all the time? It seems like he is saying "Hey everybody, look at me, look how great of a Christian I am" He is making a spectacle of himself.

Every single Texas football game I have ever been to has had players on the field in this very position, either pre-game or after a great play or after the game. Several of my favorite TX Rangers either make the sign of the cross before batting or point to the heavens, giving glory to God after a particularly good play or a win. Many, many athletes publically express their religious devotion in one way or another. It's not uncommon or anything new with Tebow. He's just the current media darling.

Actually, this is the crux of my struggle. The non-christians I know are not amused by. A God who rewards public fawning with worldly wealth and fame. Seems very egocentric of God. Why reward a football player and not a relief worker?

It's not that a football player is more important than a relief worker. But this is the man's work, and we are all advised:

Col 3:23 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.

So if Tebow chooses to play his game as if it is for the glory of God and not just for the praise of men, I have a hard time finding fault with that.

The point of thanking God after a game or praying for a good game isn't to get God on your side. Like others have said, in just about every competition, someone is praying on each side. I also doubt that God cares much about the outcome of any particular athletic contest, but is more concerned with how it is played. Nevertheless, even if God had no hand in the outcome, thankfulness is still appropriate. One can be thankful that the game was played well, that there were no injuries, or that the team will have an opportunity to play again, for instance.

1Th 5:18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you

If this is a common thing, then I stand corrected. I will admit that I am not much of a sports fan but dh is hugely into football and a lifelong Broncos fan. That being so, Tebow's kneeling prayer has been in my face all season and has seemed off-putting for reasons stated by others further upthread. If the media is showcasing Tebow to make a mockery of him for something that is common in sports then that is unfortunate.

I do think it is strange to pray for sports, just as I think it is strange to pray or "give thanks" regarding lost keys, when those are such trivial matters in this world.

I just googled "football players praying" and clicked images. It is exceedingly common. I got to page 8 of the images before I saw any reference to Tebow.

I'm pretty sensitive to and aware of religious displays, probably partly due to being an atheist ... things like that always jump out at me. I notice athletes praying or otherwise thanking their God all.the.time.

Baseball players point to heaven when they hit a home run and they're going around the bases. I've seen basketball players make the sign of the cross while they're sitting on the bench. Teams of all sorts kneel like that and pray together. When someone is injured many on both sides can be seen with hands clasped or eyes closed. But he does it by himself, and the media is all over him calling it Tebowing.

Tebow is in the spotlight right now because of his college career, and the fact that his style at Florida was so different than the current popular NFL offensive game. Everyone said he would never be any good in the pros, because he couldn't cut it in a passing game. Of course you have to play like every other quarterback in the NFL, just better. There is no room for different tactics or play styles (even though some of the early football players would recognize and appreciate the way he plays, if they could see it). So now half the commentators are shocked, and the other half are backpedaling to say they always knew he could do it. Meanwhile his fans are excited that he CAN play with the big boys. Some of them are overzealous and thinking God personally wants him to succeed. But his faith is not the huge thing the media is making it out to be. No one talked about this before when they discussed his pluses and minuses, it was all about his game. Now he's proving he can do it, and they're attacking him on another front. Of course there are still some saying he's no good, but they're just adding the prayer issue to their list of complaints about him.

Um ... in case anyone was interested in the background. :tongue_smilie:

Yes. Not amused or impressed in the slightest. There is nothing in it to make me or any non-Christian I know give even a remote consideration to the gospel. It's football, not anything of any importance to humanity, spirituality or universality. The public displays and fanatical fawning are not inspiring. They're scoff-worthy, at best.

:iagree: Very well said.

Wait. So, y'all are saying that God may not hate the Cowboys? :D

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm pretty sensitive to and aware of religious displays, probably partly due to being an atheist ... things like that always jump out at me. I notice athletes praying or otherwise thanking their God all.the.time.

Baseball players point to heaven when they hit a home run and they're going around the bases. I've seen basketball players make the sign of the cross while they're sitting on the bench. Teams of all sorts kneel like that and pray together. When someone is injured many on both sides can be seen with hands clasped or eyes closed. But he does it by himself, and the media is all over him calling it Tebowing.

Tebow is in the spotlight right now because of his college career, and the fact that his style at Florida was so different than the current popular NFL offensive game. Everyone said he would never be any good in the pros, because he couldn't cut it in a passing game. Of course you have to play like every other quarterback in the NFL, just better. There is no room for different tactics or play styles (even though some of the early football players would recognize and appreciate the way he plays, if they could see it). So now half the commentators are shocked, and the other half are backpedaling to say they always knew he could do it. Meanwhile his fans are excited that he CAN play with the big boys. Some of them are overzealous and thinking God personally wants him to succeed. But his faith is not the huge thing the media is making it out to be. No one talked about this before when they discussed his pluses and minuses, it was all about his game. Now he's proving he can do it, and they're attacking him on another front. Of course there are still some saying he's no good, but they're just adding the prayer issue to their list of complaints about him.

Um ... in case anyone was interested in the background. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I like the kid because he's an unconventional quarterback. I like the underdog - the guy with limited skills but a great heart and attitude. I was a huge fan of Larry Bird, for example. I like that Tebow finds a way to win and pulls the team together and the whole show doesn't rest on his shoulders. I had quit watching pro football till he started playing because as SunD said, all Q's started to look exactly alike as far as game went. It was boring.

I really don't get the big deal over this. This type of display happens all the time in all sports - even golf. No big deal really. Tebow isn't the only one doing it and he's not even the most obvious or wasn't until the media went bananas over it. No, I don't think that God really cares who wins or loses a game. I don't think Tebow thinks that either based on what I've heard and read about the guy. He's always been like this from what I understand.

I'd much rather hear about some guy kneeling than the typical pro athlete behaviors that make the news - the womanizing, the drunken brawls, the dog fighting, etc. I realize that behavior is probably not a large percentage of pro athletes but usually it is what makes the news. This is a nice change, IMO.

There are some people who are so jaded that they just cannot believe that a guy could be a good guy.

They cannot believe that someone may want to work hard - not just because he is making millions - but because he wants to do his very best at his job, to help others, and to bring glory to God by doing as stated in the Bible ("...whatever you do, do all to the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31) and to "give thanks to His name" (Hebrews 13:15).

The media is out of control. They are either in his face at all times, fawning over him, or ripping him apart. Through it all, he handles the pressure, criticism, nastiness, and haters with a calmness and grace that other 24-year-olds could only dream of.

Thanks to our founders, our ancestors, many lost lives and much spilled blood - Tebow has the right to bow his head in silent thanks for the ability to play his best, safety for those playing, and that his hard work will glorify God.

To all of those who are so quick to criticize before knowing what they are talking about - take a look at what this kid does when he is not on a football field practicing and continually working to get better at his craft- timtebowfoundation dot org . If my children turn out to have even a tiny bit of this drive and sacrifice, I will be thankful.

Are there "Christians" out there who are untrue, hypocritical, and even thieves? Yes there are - we are all human - even "Christians". Do I believe that Tebow is one of the untrue or hypocritical? Not in the slightest bit. Do I believe he is some sort of saint who should be put on a pedestal by other Christians and the media? No I do not. He is a 24 year old who is trying his best to grow in his job, helping others while he is doing it, and remaining strong in what he believes while handling this media circus around him.

I am certainly not saying he is a saint or perfect or cannot make a mistake. But if anyone can find something out there that he has done that deserves the kind of hatred and venom this kid is getting - other than a few wild passes and going to his knee with bowed head in thanks - please let me know.

I don't really know much about football and so only have been following the Tebow thing peripherally. But what he reminds me of is the guy in Chariots of Fire who says that he feels God's pleasure when he runs. Meaning that he believes and appreciates that his physical gifts are from God and that he acknowledges that by bowing. I don't get the sense that he thinks that God wants him to win football games although it's obvious that there are many fans that believe that.

There are some people who are so jaded that they just cannot believe that a guy could be a good guy.

They cannot believe that someone may want to work hard - not just because he is making millions - but because he wants to do his very best at his job, to help others, and to bring glory to God by doing as stated in the Bible ("...whatever you do, do all to the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31) and to "give thanks to His name" (Hebrews 13:15).

The media is out of control. They are either in his face at all times, fawning over him, or ripping him apart. Through it all, he handles the pressure, criticism, nastiness, and haters with a calmness and grace that other 24-year-olds could only dream of.

Thanks to our founders, our ancestors, many lost lives and much spilled blood - Tebow has the right to bow his head in silent thanks for the ability to play his best, safety for those playing, and that his hard work will glorify God.

To all of those who are so quick to criticize before knowing what they are talking about - take a look at what this kid does when he is not on a football field practicing and continually working to get better at his craft- timtebowfoundation dot org . If my children turn out to have even a tiny bit of this drive and sacrifice, I will be thankful.

Are there "Christians" out there who are untrue, hypocritical, and even thieves? Yes there are - we are all human - even "Christians". Do I believe that Tebow is one of the untrue or hypocritical? Not in the slightest bit. Do I believe he is some sort of saint who should be put on a pedestal by other Christians and the media? No I do not. He is a 24 year old who is trying his best to grow in his job, helping others while he is doing it, and remaining strong in what he believes while handling this media circus around him.

I am certainly not saying he is a saint or perfect or cannot make a mistake. But if anyone can find something out there that he has done that deserves the kind of hatred and venom this kid is getting - other than a few wild passes and going to his knee with bowed head in thanks - please let me know.

:hurray: Very well said...

I don't really know much about football and so only have been following the Tebow thing peripherally. But what he reminds me of is the guy in Chariots of Fire who says that he feels God's pleasure when he runs. Meaning that he believes and appreciates that his physical gifts are from God and that he acknowledges that by bowing. I don't get the sense that he thinks that God wants him to win football games although it's obvious that there are many fans that believe that.

:iagree: This is exactly what I think. From what I've heard, he's just a guy that likes football and loves God. He isn't the one making a big deal out of it. He's living his life while the world around him is creating a frenzy.

In his own words...

"Mom used to quote Isaiah 64: about waiting on the Lord. It doesn’t mean being complacent. It means understanding that he has a plan, and that we’re not the ones in control. In the meantime, we need to strive to use our gifts and abilities fully."

His gifts and abilities are football, he is just striving to use them fully...

But this is how I've seen all "religious" football playing athletes stop and pray after doing something successful. Aside from the few who cross themselves, kiss their fingers, & then point to the sky.

I think the big deal is that Tebow is being made a spectical right now. All eyes are on him. He's not just a christian, he's a homeschooler too. That's like a double whammy in society. Aren't homeschoolers suppose to be those geeky kids who grew up on farms of in backwoods because their parents weren't brave enough to send them to school?

They are suppose to be socially awkward and unacceptable. Oh, they might be smart little whipper snappers, but they don't "fit in" & tend to be outcasts. They are the ones you have to watch closely because they were so overly sheltered they could bust lose at any moment and take up with ways of this world... blah blah blah..

Then there's the Christian aspect. He's praising God now. He's thanking him for every win he has. He's gracious and glorifying even in his losses. The media is picking up on that. They are waiting to see him make one poor move. Remember the Detriot Lion player {his name escapes me atm} who was a Christian. He was all the rage for a while. Gave his coach a Bible and questions him on why it was dusty. Had heaps of slogans and commercials for abstinence. HUGE, HUGE rage he was for a while.. Yeah, then it got out that he was the father of an illegitimate child that was created during his abstinence speeches. Uh-huh.

The world forgets that Christians are people, they are made from flesh. They are sinful. The media is glorifying a man. A human. A sinful creature. They are waiting for him to mess up. To turn his back on God. To cuss. To create a child out of wedlock. To live in sin. When that happens he'll fall to the back and be quiet.

When it doesn't happen? They'll quiet down eventually.. When they see that he doesn't just walk his talk he lives his walk. Does it mean that all of it has to sit right with us? Naw! I mean, I don't even get to see NFL here, unless I'm lucky enough to be in the electronic shop when some of it is on and the cable is turned on just right. Then I go nuts and eventually people start looking at me funny and I might be asked to leave. :lol:

So, from where I am, all I see of Tebow is his face paint with 3:16 in it. His bended knee on the ground. Does it seem fake? Maybe a little, but all I'm getting is what the media wants me to get.. They want him to seem a little fake. They want him to seem a little goofy. They want him to be "normal" like every other high talking Christian who's come along loud and proud and them stumbled and fallen.

No one speaks about the quieter Christian athletes. The Mark Kelso's, Pete Metzelars, or Burnie Kosars. The ones who didn't come out loud and proud but made the occasional Christian gesture or acknowledgement. Does it make them more right then Tebow? No, not really. It just meant that the media didn't hound them and glorify them waiting for them to fail.

Give it time.. when the Homeschooled Christian from the mission fields becomes a veteran I doubt they'll keep glorifying him, but I bet he'll still keep praising God for his health and ability to play. ;)