Menu

Disneyworld--did anyone go and not love it?

Point being, Walt Disney World (and Universal and other theme parks there) are unique and like nothing else. I enjoy natural vacations, and exotic locales, but danged if I still don't get a thrill every. ****. time. I walk through the Magic Kingdom's gates and catch sight of the castle.

Yes, it is really that awesome to me. :D

:iagree:

I am quite worried about them.

I am thinking they must just be.....

UNSOCIALIZED!

:lol:

Wait...what???? NOT love Disney??? :svengo: I actually thought some folks on this thread said they DON'T LIKE Disney World???? :blink: :001_huh: What is WRONG with you people?

I must have read that wrong. Yeah, that's it. ;)

Of course, that just means less wait time for those of us who drink the Mickey Kool-aid on a regular basis. :lol:

I went as a kid with my siblings and my family.

I hated it.

Waiting in lines for *ever*, it was really sunny, waiting

30 minutes in another line to get a hot dog, rides that

made me nauseated, pretending that the guys dressed

up were the "real" ones for my parents, getting our

picture taken with said dressed up guys.

Sorry I'm such a Scrooge. But it's the truth. I hated it

and I would never take a kid there. My sister offered to

take me and dc and I said she could take him, but I would

stay behind. It didn't work out anyway and I am glad he

didn't have to go, because dc is kind of Scroogy like me.

Never been to Disney World, but we went to Disney Land in 2006 with our 5 dc and my parents. We drove (2 days - not full days, taking our time) there and we were really worried that we were going to be disappointed, as none of us had ever been. We figured it was all hype and we wouldn't find it all that "magical."

WRONG! We absolutely loved it! My dad, 62 years old, walks into our room at the hotel on the 2nd night we were there and said, "This place really IS the happiest place on earth!!" I love that memory. And having grown up with parents who took every vacation as an opportunity to cram as much sight-seeing, walking, touring, etc., in, (we lived in Europe) it was amazing to see my dad so relaxed! He was totally laid back and didn't care if we only saw 10% of what was there as we were more into enjoying each and every thing rather than cramming it all in.

Dd9 (at the time) was going through her "pill" stage. She smiled the whole time. We were shocked and stunned. She genuinely loved it and that was saying something, given her 'tude at the time. ;)

Personally, being OCD and uptight, I just loved, loved, loved, the fact that it was so clean. It was spotless and I was in heaven!!! :D

It is one of my fondest dreams to go back. (Just for the record, we are a family who loves museums and our favorite vacations are camping in the middle of nowhere, but we still love Dland, even though dh and my dad are NOT people people at all. :lol: )

Why are people so crazy for DisneyWorld? I just can't get excited about spending so much money on an amusement park vacation.

Did anyone go and think it wasn't worth the expense or time spent planning?

My husband dragged me kicking and screaming to WDW a few years ago. I did Disney growing up. The expense of WDW and the hassle wasn't even on my radar. (for us to go we had to fly from an island in the middle of nowhere) If we were vacationing I'd much rather have done it camping in the woods or at a small seaside resort. I'm not a huge fan of crowds and dislike small children who are not mine - or more exactly, their parents and the high volume of entitlement that oozes out of SUV strollers at places like that.

We are currently planning for our second trip in 2014/2015. :D It was AWESOME. Dh made sure that everything was taken care of before we got there:

-onsite deluxe hotel (Wilderness Lodge)

-dining plan

-quiet times (before spring break, and the hotel was very peaceful)

-spending money built in.

It was honestly one of the best vacations I've ever had, even with all the hiccups. Had we done it my way, going offsite or with a value resort, no dining plan, and not planning for the best dates, I don't believe we would have had nearly the same relaxing experience. The expense is big but the fun is worth it.

Yes I went a few years ago for the first time when I was on holiday there. I didn't get what the excitement was about -maybe it was because I was there as an adult without kids.

Then again I'm not a ride person and am not big into Disney.

We have Dreamworld here in Australia and I like that a lot better -it's smaller with different themes to Disney but a lot more adult orientated I guess.

So for you Aussies who think you are missing out -you aren't -go to Dreamworld - it's better (and cheaper) ;)

I'm a huge fan of the Wilderness Lodge. You are right. Time to relax and move at a slower pace is important. With rush trips, one misses the little details that make it so enjoyable.

We've debated the other hotels in the area (Poly and Contemporary) but keep changing our minds back to the WL. It's very quiet and not nearly as busy and cramped feeling as some of the others. It's not a major attraction site like the Poly is, with the luau there.

FWIW, I've found that many of the people who say they hate WDW have gone during peak times or sacrificed some of their vacation needs to make it happen. For us, a vacation isn't worth it if we have to drive 12 hours, eat pb&j the whole time, and stay in a cramped hotel room an hour from our destination - and do that in the middle of summer. I would need a vacation from my vacation! WDW isn't for everyone but I firmly believe it's made worse for those who don't enjoy it by trying to squeeze in a trip at the wrong time.

I didn't love it. It wasn't terrible - there were enjoyable parts of it, but there were a million and a half other things I'd rather do with the money.

We spent an entire day at Epcot - from about 11 on we were walking through the countries - all there is to do is shop or eat. Seriously? I paid how much to experience your stores? It's all a giant marketing deal and I get to pay for the honor?

The kicker was on the way home - we drove and made time to get over to the beach just to *see* the ocean. The kids were as enthralled with that as they had been with anything at Disney. And it was free.

I think it is totally worth it. WDW is not just an amusement park, it is several of them and then some. The only thing I did not like was the restaurant on the river boat at Downtown Disney. Service was terrible and it was overpriced.

Go when the weather is warm though, Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon are on the "must do" list.

Edited to add: September is a good time - peak season is over and it is still warm.

Edited by TXMary2

The reason we LIKE Disney so much isn't for the "amusement park", it is just the overall atmosphere, attitude you experience everywhere Disney. I don't need to be catered to on vacation (think Ritz), but I love knowing every one I encounter from beginning to end associated with Disney will have a good attitude (at least is great at pretending they do), everything is clean, and surprisingly, you rarely run into other guests with attitudes either.

Yep, this. We went to Six Flags the month after DisneyWorld because dd wanted to ride the rollercoasters, we were very disappointed, mostly the attitude and cleanliness... oh, and the fights... :glare:

On one hand, I despise the commercial behemoth Disney is and all the material trappings one is expected to acquire; on the other hand, we always have a blast and can't wait to come back. :D

We've debated the other hotels in the area (Poly and Contemporary) but keep changing our minds back to the WL. It's very quiet and not nearly as busy and cramped feeling as some of the others. It's not a major attraction site like the Poly is, with the luau there.

FWIW, I've found that many of the people who say they hate WDW have gone during peak times or sacrificed some of their vacation needs to make it happen. For us, a vacation isn't worth it if we have to drive 12 hours, eat pb&j the whole time, and stay in a cramped hotel room an hour from our destination - and do that in the middle of summer. I would need a vacation from my vacation! WDW isn't for everyone but I firmly believe it's made worse for those who don't enjoy it by trying to squeeze in a trip at the wrong time.

I think you are onto something here. I don't recall ever waiting 30 min for a ride. We always use fp's for the headliners!