Menu

Comprehension Plus by MCP -love it!

Just wanted to rec. A great supplement to your reading program .It,s great for typical or atypical dc.I use it for my 7yo who seems to be in the autism spectrum and has comprehension issues. WWE 1 is too much for him at this time,so while waiting for him to mature , I fill it in with this.It,s a wonderful And colorful workbook.Covers comprehension,vocabulary and writing. Lessons are about main idea,sequencing,cause&effect,author's purpose,fact&opinion,comparing&contrasting,etc This is 2nd gr and I use it one level ahead with my ds who is a great reader but has low comprehension.Seems right level for him.

Comprehension Plus by MCP

Another nice comprehension series for Grades 3-8 is the Reasoning and Reading series from EPS Books/School Specialty which is known also for Explode the Code, Megawords, Wordly Wise, and Vocabulary from Classical Roots, all series I have used with my children. Just adding this resource to the thread for those interested in comprehension materials.

Another nice comprehension series for Grades 3-8 is the Reasoning and Reading series from EPS Books/School Specialty which is known also for Explode the Code, Megawords, Wordly Wise, and Vocabulary from Classical Roots, all series I have used with my children. Just adding this resource to the thread for those interested in comprehension materials.

thanks. Just ordered it.It looks more like a critical thinking program,rather than reading,but we need that. I like Critical Thinking Co Reading Detective 3-4 grade too .

Do either of you recommend the teacher's edition of Comprehension Plus or Reading and Reasoning? Just wondering.

Thanks!

It has been some time since I used Reading & Reasoning but I did have the teacher's edition. Mine is packed away somewhere so I can't dig it out quickly to confirm, but I think it would be easy enough to use the books without the teacher's edition. The TEs mostly have the answers & maybe some hints on teaching; the answers are usually obvious or easy enough to figure out, but I tended to go for the TE anyway in case I wasn't sure.

I didn't think the TM is necessary. I do work with my son more than what is required in the workbook. for ex. after reading the story, I ask him to retell it , or to tell me what happened in the beginning/end , how did the characters felt , etc. Then I let him complete the vocabulary , but we do the rest orally since he has enough writing/copywork to do from other materials.

I noticed a major improvement in comprehension since we are using this workbook .

I didn't think the TM is necessary. I do work with my son more than what is required in the workbook. for ex. after reading the story, I ask him to retell it , or to tell me what happened in the beginning/end , how did the characters felt , etc. Then I let him complete the vocabulary , but we do the rest orally since he has enough writing/copywork to do from other materials.

I noticed a major improvement in comprehension since we are using this workbook .

Also, I asked the lady at rainbowresource and she did not recommend the TM, unless you are uncomfortable with reading and English language ( which I am since it's not my native language) , yet , the 2nd grade it's easy enough for me to figure out.